Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature!!!

+3
zfish9
Loyal Subject
Uruviel
7 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Literature!!! - Page 16 Empty Re: Literature!!!

Post  Lee Fri May 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Oh I don't know. I never look at the identification numbers on the side of the shelves. I just wander and normally I know what the book space is based on considering what is around it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri May 07, 2010 5:45 pm

i do that too but sometimes ill have a specific book i want and in both instances, the books arent all together and apparently you have to go from floor 1 to floor 4 just to get a look at everything in that section. which is stupid in my opinion. and their ID numbers dont even make sense. it doesnt follow the dewey decimal system at all...which is confusing.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 07, 2010 10:07 pm

I'll be honest with you, I don't even know what the heck a dewey decimal system thing is. When I go to a library I just walk around til I find something. Hm this seems interesting.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri May 07, 2010 10:24 pm

its just a number system from 0-1000 or something. i dont even fully know it. but its like 700s are a certain category of books and it just keeps going. so each hundred has its own category of books. so it's just easier to tell when one category ends and when another begins. thats what i use it for. but the library at my school has weird numbers that make it hard to tell when one category ends and when another begins. the numbers are like NC564.B3.2008
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Looks like something about North Carolina in there...along with bingo or maybe Battleship...I did do a wiki search on it, but I never knew about it. To be honest I never really bothered with libraries all that much.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri May 07, 2010 10:50 pm

the only thing i dont like about the library is if i read a really good book i usually want to keep it =p.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 07, 2010 10:52 pm

I know what you mean! When I found those brittle page books I wanted to keep them! They had information about the unit I never even knew! I mean it's not like anyone would miss them...they clearly weren't being checked out in ages cause they were super brittle and musty smelling.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 pm

yeah so that's the only disadvantage with the library. and then you get those people who actually do take the books so when you want to read it, the library doesnt have it anymore XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat May 08, 2010 12:06 am

I don't think I have to worry about anyone stealing these books. They're way up on the floors most hardly go up to. Heck most of the books I found on the last floor were old and weak. I guess they figured they would keep them up there so lesser hands mess with them.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon May 31, 2010 9:16 am

I have some awesome news. I don't know if I said this in here or any other place, but I found old Civil War newspapers. Most newspapers of that time are pretty common, but not as common about finding one with actual battle information. I found one which had nicely illustrated maps on some kind of battle, which I never even heard of before. Well until now, it was in 1861, and the paper is pretty dirty and musty.

I actually have 3 full newspapers and with such great information on all of them. I was like a child in a huge toy store. The only problem is that they are wrapped in some plastic wrap and placed on a piece of cardboard where the wrap is tapped at the back.

It's not the best or safest showcase and I know the paper is authentic as it's discolored in a certain pattern. You can tell when something has been looked to be aged as it's either burnt too much with flames and or soaked with tea. That stuff is noticeable. Plus the paper is so darn brittle.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of showcase that a newspaper could fit in without having to be bent or folded to get it in.

I have these small plastic box dividers for some of my relics, but they're small pieces like a button or an old bullet and anything in between. I don't have any relics as big as a newspaper. These newspapers are larger then the ones we have today.

http://www.gp30.com/planobox/plano01.jpg This is what I use.

I was brainstorming of an idea of something I could use to protect the newspaper or possibly remove each page (which is already separate) and place it in some kind of divider that I or anyone could scroll through and be able to read all of the different pages instead of just the front page.

Any ideas out there fellas?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon May 31, 2010 4:40 pm

thats pretty cool that you found newspapers. i only have those copy document things that you buy in souvenir stores XD.

as for protecting the paper, they do have those see-through casing things that you can put in a binder. i dont know how big they come though =/. you should look either at an office supply store like Staples or a craft's store. i would try Staples first though since i know they have those special casing sheets. if worse comes to worse, im sure there's a way to keep the sheets together to make one big sheet.

that's the only thing i can think of. unless you buy a bunch of the plastic thing that goes over the picture with certain picture frames from Walmart or Kmart. then you just put the newspaper in between the plastic.

there's also always lamination but i dont think you want to do that.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon May 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Actually office supply stores sounds like a good idea. I didn't check any of those out and I might. Right now it's just sandwiched between a piece of cardboard and plastic wrap, so I want some better protection then that.

Anyway what do you mean about the copy documents? Like the Declaration of Independence?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon May 31, 2010 5:35 pm

yeah. i have the constitution, declaration of independence, Confederate money, a whole bunch of stuff.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon May 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Confederate money? Did you happen to get that at Gettysburg, that time I told you, you should go and see the reenactment? Reenactors are always handing out fake money at those places lol. My sister was once stopped by a Confederate who gave her some CSA money so that she could buy better pants. Hers had holes in them or something.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon May 31, 2010 6:18 pm

ummm i dont remember if it was in Gettysberg. i just know they came in envelopes that said "confederate money" and said it either "stack 1" or "stack 2".
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon May 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Oh yeah I think I know what you're talking about. It probably was at Gettysburg, unless you went to different reenactments. I bought a Union stack, but it's all dollar bills. The Confederate money is like 1000 and 100 or something. Although that doesn't do them much good when they can buy a sack of flour for 1000 by the mid 60's
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon May 31, 2010 6:43 pm

ive also been to Williamsburg and other historical places so i could have gotten them from there too. like i said, i dont remember.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon May 31, 2010 7:09 pm

But Williamsburg is set during the Revolutionary War/Colonial Period.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:28 pm

yeah i know but they have a whole bunch of stuff there. i remember getting some documents from there...i just dont remember what.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 am

I'm pretty sure it would relate to their time period though. I highly doubt they would have currency from another time, especially if that time was in the future.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:09 pm

yeah, thats true. like i said, i dont remember. i just know i have them now XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:15 pm

okay so i recently finished a book called The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (he wrote Coraline). I have to say that even though it was a children's book, it was really good. I really like the stories he comes up with and his characters are interesting. This vampire called Silas kicks Edward's ass any day (movie version Edward). So yeah...it was good. It'd be cool to see them make this into a movie too.

now Im reading To Kill a Mockingbird because i bought it at a book fair (along with the Graveyard Book and the Diary of Anne Frank). I read it in 8th grade but ive always wanted to read it again.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Oh hey, not literature, but I thought I'd share this. I found an old newspaper dated back to the 40's. It's in pretty bad shape at some sections, but is still readable and the 1940 art styles are pretty nifty. Once I have it all cleaned and carefully protected, I'll take some pictures or scan it in some way.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 pm

newspapers =)

i wanted to buy a copy of Gotham Times or whatever in Six Flags but they didnt have any =/. i dont even think they sell them to be honest XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Gotham Times? Do they seriously publish that?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum