A Retrospect . . .

Go down

A Retrospect . . .

Post  Custom Critical on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Uh, hello. For like the four of you still here, I'm the rando that said they were gonna RP, but life got in the way and I forgot to actually make a profile post and join one (sorry btw). I was taking a stroll down memory lane, and was going over my old posts from AB.net when it was a thing and some old forums I used to post on as a young teen. Now I'm in my twenties, and we've gotten all the Avatar we're gonna get, save for M Night's imaginations of it, but let's not get into that.

I remember joining ABnet when Airbender first dropped, and it had me HOOKED. The aesthetic, the world building, the characters. Even now as a full adult, that show can still command my attention. I just wanted to know: What about Avatar makes you like it so much? And where are you in life at the moment? It's been 3+ years since I joined this forum, and almost more than one since I've been truly active. Let's all catch up and shoot the ****. Just like old times.
Custom Critical
Non-Bender

Male Number of posts : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Retrospect . . .

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I really think the thing about Avatar is the story and characters. While I won't say ATLA had the best ending, in retrospect, it has ONE of the best endings to a series thus far. The creators had a clear beginning, middle, and end. The characters were likeable and unique. If you compare it to shows nowadays that had a lot of promise, ATLA is the only one that really sticks to my mind as following through and giving us a satisfying ending. Walking Dead, GOT, Lost, Supernatural, there's so many shows that have come and gone since ATLA that were/are train wrecks by the end of the show. But Avatar has stood the test of time for me. And, oddly enough, I've been thinking about it a lot since the latest Star Wars craze.

The only other show that I can think of that has really stood with me and didn't disappoint me by the end of it is Twin Peaks where, for once, the revival was weird as hell but I felt satisfied by the final episodes. In fact, the final episodes were my favorite part of the new series. Also Gravity Falls but again, I feel that's because the creator knew the major plot points and that it had a definitive end. I really think that's the key now with having a successful show.

Besides GOT which just seems downright incompetent without Martin's writing even though there's a definitive ending. It's really sad :p

Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Avatar worked well because it didn't drag out the series. It began where it needed to be and ended when it needed. That is the problem with long running shows like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and whatever else. The show just piles up with one season after another so there's really no way to end with a bang like it started with one. You need to invest a lot of time watching a series like that, especially if you watch it when it first aired. And I'm sure a show like GoT has lost a lot more fans then Atla simply because of how long it is/was and how much time they'd have to invest. It's the reason why I never bothered with those long running shows. It just seems like such a daunting task and I don't want to waste all that time.

If Avatar had six or eight seasons like GoT or Walking Dead, I'm sure it'd be in the same boat. Where these suffered from too much time, Korra suffered from too little.

That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed Avatar so much. Plus the show is so dynamic. It has a great believable cast, a good story that you can easily get behind and isn't trying to be super smart and edgy where you need to constantly be thinking, and it's not all black and white in some of the later parts. I also like that Aang is the main character, but the others shine just as well. He doesn't hog the screen time like Korra did.

And Korra was just a trainwreck, even season 4 was kind of mixed. I don't know what you're talking about with the Star Wars craze, but I've only seen the Force Awakens as far as the new movies go.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18382

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 pm

With Game of Thrones though, it does have a set beginning, middle, and end. The writers of the show just sucked towards the later seasons as they ran out of George R.R. Martin's material. First issue being that they were given extra seasons so the stuff they royally screwed up, they couldn't go back and fix. And now that they are out of books, they're falling into cliche writing.

The reason why I bring up those other shows is because, you're right, they just don't know when to end them. Or rather, their goal is to make as much money as possible. Which, they should just focus on creating good content that has a definitive story structure to keep people interested. And that's just the overall problem with cable television and why Netflix is becoming more and more popular. They don't have to sacrifice story for ad revenue.

But Avatar proved you can have a successful show that makes the network a lot of money while not catering to ad revenue as well.

There's a lot of similarities I would say between Star Wars and Avatar. I mean, they both have the standard hero's journey but I think this time around with the addition of Kylo Ren, it feels like Star Wars was trying to be more like Avatar in the sense of having a tragic hero figure set up at the beginning rather than it coming as a surprise later. I see Kylo Ren as Star War's rendition of Zuko. Granted, obviously Zuko is way better developed than Kylo Ren. But the story beats for Kylo Ren and his relationship with Rey are definitely following similar beats to Aang and Zuko's relationship in ATLA. Kylo Ren's journey in Last Jedi is very similar to Zuko's season 2 journey.

And that's kind of what I mean: Avatar just does these better and that's why I appreciate it a lot more in retrospect.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum