Literature!!!

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Literature!!!

Post  Uruviel on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 pm

So, I thought it was high time we had a thread like this. Lets talk about the books we're reading/are interesting/waiting for/loving/hating, etc, etc.

Question - Who's read Brisingr? It's been out for almost a month now - I finally finished it. I decided I'd control myself instead of rushing through the whole thing. Christopher Paolini doesn't have as much importance in my life as Shakespeare and Chaucer do at the moment, because of my classes! But I finished it this morning, at last, and I wanna talk about it =]
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Literature!!!

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I finished reading it today.

Here was my problem with it. Yes, there was action but usually what I find with fantasy novels is that the beginning is just a tad bit slow and then the last like 200 pages is all action so you don't want to have to stop reading it at that point. in other words, pretty much when the novel is nearly reaching it's climates it's a "you can't put the book down" thing. the problem with Brisingr was....the rising actions leading up to the climax weren't very interesting. the battle sequences at the end didn't feel quick paced like they ought to be. it felt slow and dragged out at the end.

the weird thing though was .......i got it into my head that Murtagh and Eragon were half brothers as soon as Murtagh said they were brothers.....even though he meant full brothers but for some reason i just told myself they were half brothers...so when Oromis told Eragon they really were half brothers i was confused.....i think it was because before Murtagh told Eragon they were brothers, I thought Brom was Eragon's dad so when Murtagh told Eragon that they were brothers I just never accepted that fact for some reason even though I knew Murtagh meant Morzan was Eragon's dad.....which....makes no sense i know....but hey in the end I was right so go me XD.

oh yeah I was a little disappointed with how Oromis died. not by the fact that he did die but just how he died. but i think that's just because my dog has seizures so when it happened to Oromis i was kind of like "okay that's the best you can do?"

oh and because of that spoiler about the character being pregnant in the beginning im like screaming "KATRINA'S PREGNANT I KNOWS IT!" and someone else who was reading the book was like "uhh no **** sherlock" XD it was funny. ok im done.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16959

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:38 pm

i wwant to read it but i didn't get a chance to. *did not read first two posts, did not want spoilers*
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:40 pm

lol yeah, if you think it might be a big spoiler put a spoiler tag on it for future use.

I've found on Amazon, a civil war book full of diary notes from soldiers of the U.S. Infantry, the unit I portray. It's bugging the crap out of me since I want to read it, but it's sold out......
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18333

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Can't you put in an order with them or with Chapters?

Wait. Does chapters even exist in the U.S.????
Ditto on the spoilers, haha!
Spoiler:
I was also disappointed with the book, kinda. I knew that Eragon and Murtagh were brothers, half or full, and I was idly speculating that Brom and Selena had an affair with each other, which resulted in Eragon. But I liked the idea of M + E being full brothers better, because then E wouldn't have to be cliche and follow his father's (Brom's) path. Instead, he could work against what his father had done, if it was Morzan, and save Murtagh from following Morzan's path as well. Meh. Whatever. I was continually annoyed by the way the language wasn't always consistent. Sometimes, Eragon sounded like a modern day American, and then he'd suddenly sound like a person who lived in the boonies in the Middle Ages. Argh!

CP spent almost the whole book focusing on character development, though. My sympathies lie with Murtagh - I love him! The poor guy's had such a horrible life, and just when he was about to escape it, he got captured again and then forced back into servitude by Galby. And poor Thorn has been bound and suffering from the moment he hatched. They're being forced against their wills to fight for the king, and Eragon knows it, yet he doesn't try to explain to the people of the Varden that they should try to capture the pair instead of always aiming for their throats. I don't want them to die - they're not the evil ones!

I think CP is trying too hard to write like Tolkien.
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 pm

sorry about the spoilers but i was in a rush so....yeah sorry

all my posts will have spoilers including this one so dont read it.

well Brom was my favorite character so i thought he deserved at least a friggin son and since i cant enjoy reading about my favorite character since book one, it was a nice refresh =D.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Loyal Subject wrote:sorry about the spoilers but i was in a rush so....yeah sorry

all my posts will have spoilers including this one so dont read it.
and you tell me afer i start reading it -.-
EDIT: ha! i deleted it without reading it!
EDIT2: i mean from my quote, not your post.
zfish9
Air Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 pm

^ lol.

Well, I'm now eager for the fourth and final (hopefully) book of the series. #3 was so disappointing - I'm hungry for some real action now!

Zfish, have you started reading it yet?

In other literary news, I have to abstain from normal novels, etc until the end of the year, since I've got to concentrate big time on my classes! I'm going to start reading Love's Labours Lost now. Yes, it's for my Elizabethan Shakespeare class, but it's Shakespeare, and he's always fun to read! ^_^
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Uruviel wrote:Zfish, have you started reading it yet?
nope.

Uruviel wrote:I'm going to start reading Love's Labours Lost now. Yes, it's for my Elizabethan Shakespeare class, but it's Shakespeare, and he's always fun to read! ^_^
tell that to my English class --_--
zfish9
Air Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:25 pm

lol I had to read Romeo Juliet, Macbeth, Beowulf (all of it), and Lord of The Flies, in one semester of my English class, in high school.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Uruviel wrote:Can't you put in an order with them or with Chapters?

Chapters is only in Canada. The U.S. has Barnes & Noble, Borders, Borders Express, and Waldenbooks.
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Lee Tamotsu wrote:lol I had to read Romeo Juliet, Macbeth, Beowulf (all of it), and Lord of The Flies, in one semester of my English class, in high school.

I had to read Lord of the Flies in 7th Grade, To Kill a Mockingbird in 8th Grade, Romeo & Juliet in 9th Grade, and I just finished reading The Crucible in 10th Grade.
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:46 pm

HaruWolf wrote:
Uruviel wrote:Can't you put in an order with them or with Chapters?

Chapters is only in Canada. The U.S. has Barnes & Noble, Borders, Borders Express, and Waldenbooks.
Oh! It's a book store! When I read your post Uruviel I thought you were referring to chapters of a book, which got me really confused.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:42 pm

Lee Tamotsu wrote:lol I had to read Romeo Juliet, Macbeth, Beowulf (all of it), and Lord of The Flies, in one semester of my English class, in high school.

one semester as in half year or are you talking about a marking period? in both my english classes combined, ive had to read Fahrenheit 451, Goodbye Columbus, and Fences and the first marking period isn't even over yet O_o.

but wow i dont know if i could handle all that at once....i mean Romeo and Juliet i read in 8th and 9th grade...and Macbeth and Beowulf in the same semester last year along with a little bit of Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.......Grendel.....and....i think that's it....i never got to read Lord of the Flies T_T. i have to get to that....we were supposed to read it 8th grade but got stuck with Romeo and Juliet @_@ and it was an abridged version too >.<. and then they read it last year in the regular class...along with Sherlock Holmes....@_@

and this is why i dropped english honors this year =D. at least what im reading is interesting....even though the last half of the year when we read Macbeth and stuff i actually liked....it was first semester i hated...but yup.....except Goodbye Columbus...i didn't like that....i mean it had interesting stuff but it wasn't my kind of a novel....now im reading One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest which should be awesome =D.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 pm

^ I also read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, in 9th Grade.
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:14 am

Fie, fie on you all for speaking ill of ye olde bard, Mister William Shakespeare, the greatest of the greats!
Lol - I swear I love that guy - he's such an awesome writer! He knew exactly how to please a crowd and make them think while they watched his plays. He was a genius! So was Chaucer! Ideally, I'd love to be a writer, so maybe by the time I graduate, I might decide to screw getting a real job and remain a student for life so I can study these guys properly and learn how to write as amazingly as them, only with my own modern flavour :D

I can't believe you guys had to read stuff like Gawain and Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales so early! I guess it shows the amount of importance my school put in actually studying literature. Of course, they were the ones who continually told us that English and all the other Humanities and Arts would only get us all as far as a career in teaching elementary schools and below. **sigh** I don't think they'd ever call me to make a university presentation there, seeing as I'm doing one of those degrees they would count as useless: English and Linguistics. Heh. Rolling Eyes I did one of my English-before-the-1700s essay on Gawain and the Green Knight, and another one on "The Miller's Tale". Hmmm.... I also just wrote an essay on the "General Prologue" this week for Medieval Lit.=]

I'm not going to begin listing all the stuff I've read for school - the list would go on for ages. I must say though, having to read all those ancient Puritan "books" for American Lit. last year sure was a drag! The more modern AmLit. is sooooooooo much more interesting! And, as geeky as I sound, I've enjoyed all my English classes, except for Essay Writing in my 1st year :D

p.s. The Crucible rocks! Also, I've heard that the Lord of the Flies is an EVIL book - everyone I've spoken to has had nightmares because it's apparently such a fiendishly boring read :S
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:24 am

I've never heard of Beowulf or The Canterbury Tales, I don't think we read on those at my school. I know at the end of 10th Grade we read The Great Gatsby and at the beginning of 11th Grade we read Death of a Salesman and Macbeth.
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 am

ever notice in school you only read Shakespeare's tragedies and none of the comedies?
in english class, the teacher brought that up one day. i think it's a bit odd.
zfish9
Air Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 am

It's because teacher's are sadist, they like watching others suffer, and they drag you into their sick scheme as well.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:33 pm

plus it's easier to write essays about stories that are unhappy rather than the ones you enjoy. And it's easier for teachers to come up with essay topics for the unhappy ones.

I just remembered that I actually did get to study a shakespearean comedy when I was in gr. 10. We read Twelfth Night. It's such an awesome, but typically Shakepearean, comedy, with a clown, and unrequited love, and Petrarchan sonnets flying everywhere, and cross-dressing and role reversals! Haha! And of course, it end with..... two weddings!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:34 pm

The clown gets married with the mime?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Lol. There's no mime, it's shakespeare.
BUT there's a wierd love triangle-square-pentagon thingy going on. Count Orsino loves Olivia and sends his newly hired messenger boy, Cesario, to woo her for him. The boy is actually a girl called Viola, who's determined to marry Orsino, since she has no living family left. Olivia falls in love with Viola believing that she's a boy. At the same time Olivia's got a house guest called Sir Andrew Aguecheek, who thinks he's a hotshot, and wants to win her hand in marraige. Then Olivia's servant, Malvolio, is tricked into believing that Olivia's in love with him, so he tries to get her attention, but he's really just being made a fool of by the other servants. And then, out of the blue, Viola's twin brother Sebastian, who was believed to have died in a shipwreck, turns up at Olivia's door and decides that he wants to marry her, much to Olivia's elation since she thinks he's Cesario, cuz Seb and Viola are apparently identical. In the end, there's a huge fight and the truth comes out, and Orsino marries Viola, and Olivia is happy with Sebastian, and Malvolio and Aguecheek are punished for being such obnoxious idiots.

No too many names?

Everytime I read this play I think "man, either Viola's a really manly chick, or Sebastian's a really girly-looking guy!"
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:36 pm

i've always wanted to read the Twelfth Night......
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 pm

So what part does the daddy and mommy come in and want to marry her as well?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 am

lol - there's no parents here. There is an Uncle, but he's Olivia's uncle and he was trying to get Aguecheek to stay at O's place cuz he's a broke drunk, while Aguecheek, being a knight, is a rich drunk. And because Aguecheek's an idiot, the Uncle can fool him into buying all the booze every night. There's all sorts of weird and funny things that happen in the story!

It's such a funny play - you guys should read it! I actually went to see it performed in a park 2 summers ago, by the Company of Fools. They turned it in to a kind of musical and had all sorts of pop adn rock songs blended in every now and then. It made the play even more funny and entertaining!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: