Literature!!!

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Literature!!!

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:07 pm

we didnt go because my sister hated all the bugs there. she was freaking out as is by the bugs during the day.

i also found this on dA. thought you might like it =) http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=11&offset=264#/d318imv
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Oh darn, what a shame. You would had really loved Devils Den and Little Round Top. The rock formations are just amazing. Well if you go there for some odd reason, you should definitely check it out.

Heh nice, I don't look the Civil War up much on DA. Mostly cause all I found one time was a bunch of foxes and wolves dressed up in uniforms...yeah not what I was really looking for lol.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18360

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 pm

^ yeah i found it by chance because it was on the popular page.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:18 am

I know you're really into books, so I thought you might like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrettsville-Novel-Cornelia-Nixon/dp/158243512X

It's about a little town in Maryland a few years after the Civil War. It's basically where the north and south state line converged.

You can read the bio for to get a better understanding. Basically it's after the war, there's a lot of tension, especially between two families from different sides, and the murder of one family member lays onto the other.

Someone from my family got the book for Christmas and wouldn't stop talking about it. Figured I would tell you about it, in case you've never heard of it.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:20 pm

^ oh wow, that does sound good. i just ordered it from a library XD. i'll let you know how it is when i read it.

i found out my Hunchback of Notre Dame is due in like two days...im still on page 60 out of 500....good thing i found a free copy of it on the Kindle. Now I just have to figure out how to make the font bigger....>.<
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:23 pm

I live around Jarrettsville, so finding out that there was a book about it was cool. I know some of the relatives of the ancestors to, which is pretty neat. Oh yeah and I've even set foot where they were buried. It's pretty cool knowing that you're so close to something that you've had no idea about.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:33 pm

^ i agree. and that's pretty cool.

i thought it was cool i lived near where a spy for the American Revolution was hung. after hearing the story, I don't really like Washington as much as I used to. but i like your story better XD.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Okay so basically I had to go to another library to make sure I got a documentary I wanted and while there, I ended up picking up Jarrettsville. It's pretty interesting so far though I want to get past the introduction bit.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 am

That's good! Wasn't sure if it would be any good or not. I know the history of the story, because I live so near to it, but I didn't know about the book. Realizing there's a book about a place near you is pretty awesome.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 pm

I'm almost halfway through. It's kind of hard to imagine at this point that the story ends tragically.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Okay, based solely on what's happening in the book so far all I can say is I completely understand now why the female protagonist would shoot the male protagonist. I mean, when the description said it was about two star crossed lovers, I thought the reason for the man's death was going to be more along the lines of Romeo and Juliet. But really, it just comes down to the man becoming an ass and thinking he's the only victim in the situation. And I really liked him in the beginning so the fact that he suddenly starts thinking these STUPID things is annoying.

Basically, he starts to think that Martha (the person he's been engaged to for like...at least two years I would say) is cheating on him because she's been visiting a former slave she used to own for long periods of time. Meanwhile, the former slave is 1. her childhood friend and 2. got the **** beaten out of him by some people and has to recover alone essentially. Gee, I wonder why she's over there @_@.

and rather than just asking her what's going on, he just avoids her. then, he ends up getting beaten himself by her brother which is what ends up changing him into going into full ass mode. because then he convinces himself that he can't marry her because she's related to the guy that beat him. meanwhile, she's been asking to move in with him and actually be married to him for TWO YEARS. i mean, maybe she doesn't want to live there anymore with her brother. and while he's going through his traumatic/slightly emo thing (i say slightly emo because it takes him for what i believe is around six months to recover) she's writing him letters (which was kind of their 'thing'). she writes to him EVERYDAY. totally ignores it. then, after he has recovered, he just gets up and moves, not telling his fiance at all.

and he's there for a long time (again) and finally comes back. so of course she's going to be upset and wonder where the hell he was and why he didn't take her with him. then...R rated material happens and he believes he was taken advantage of. meanwhile, he never says no or gives any indication that he doesn't want to do it and said he had a lust for her before the events even happened. and she gave up her virginity way before because he said they were going to get married soon. and they still haven't gotten married. and she wouldn't have done that if she had known it was going to take this long to get married.

then she ends up getting pregnant which will completely disgrace her because she isn't married yet. and he says in his mind 'it's not my fault and it probably wasn't me because we only did it once where it was possible for the baby to be his.' listen mister, it takes TWO to make a baby and in your time period, women are having babies all the time. i mean, you're really going to make those kinds of excuses now.

and then he starts to think that she purposely did it with him that one time to make him think he got her pregnant when she was really with someone else. considering he loved this woman to death, it's pretty sad that's he's thinking so ill of her rather than thinking 'you know, maybe she did it with me because she hadn't seen me in months and she still loves me and wanting to support me when her brother beat the **** out of me but i didn't let her.' no, because that's completely illogical @_@.

but it gets even worse. because then she finds out he's in town and her mother says to him to marry her daughter and she will take care of her daughter and the baby and he won't have to do a thing. just marry her so she isn't disgraced by society. and then he doesn't show up to the wedding for a number of reasons. listen, i don't care what your reasons are, you started this mess by promising to marry the girl and never doing it so you better finish it and marry her. she was clearly SO devoted to him and even though she was mad at him, it was still clear that she loved him. and he doesn't even show up to the wedding. what a coward and he's supposed to be on the Union side @_@. he gives the Unions a bad name, that he does.

and then there's this one part where he actually asks her if the kid is his and she says that she's disgusted he would even ask such a thing. and then he wonders why she's mad at him @_@.

and, for the record, this entire section of the book is from his perspective. it doesn't shift to hers at all in this section. so, it's not like i know anymore than he does. the only thing i know for a fact is that she was a virgin before the story began but she tells him this later on so...i mean...wtf man. it's just so sad that this had to happen to the girl because he's being an idiot. and he even says he's being an idiot at times. so if you're doing something wrong and you know you're doing something wrong, why don't you fix it?! is it really that hard to just say 'I'm sorry' and make things right. I just don't get it. i mean, the part where I'm at now, is right after she realizes she got stood up by him and she actually tries to kill herself. and he sees it. i mean, if you saw someone you cared about trying to commit suicide and you know it's because of you, you'd think the person would do the right thing. i mean, i would try to do something if i saw anyone trying to commit suicide.

it also doesn't help that throughout this whole segment, he's acting like the victim and says numerous times he feels sorry for Martha yet he doesn't do anything to help her. he just makes it worse.

this guy is just annoying and based on how he's portrayed in the book, i really don't think im going to feel sorry for him when he dies. i already feel sorry for the fact that Martha had to be the one to kill him and after all he did to her, she STILL loves him.

so yeah, so far, the only type of person i would think to recommend this book to is a radical feminist. i think they would like being angry at it and bashing it with their feminist viewpoints. i mean...unless the person feels sorry for the main guy then they'd probably like it too. but i don't feel sorry for him yet and im angry with him.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 am

I never read the book, I just know the history. Either way, putting a bullet in someone's head is putting a bullet in someone's head.

I've had people I've absolutely hated. People that I was forced to work with for a year. I told you about that certain mentor of mine, when you were having your "My life sucks" thread and time of your life. The man made me hate getting up in the morning to go to work to see his face. For all the same reasons I've mentioned in that thread of yours and others I haven't mentioned.

With no way out, for certain reasons, I was stuck. I still wouldn't kill the man, no matter how much I hated him. I know you might want to defend her cause, but would you shoot someone in the head?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:55 pm

^ im not saying she had the right to kill him nor am i saying that i would do the same thing if i was in her position. im just saying i can understand why she did it. i am by no means promoting murder XD. let's not get carried away there =p.

i can empathize with her, that's all im saying. like how people empathize with a complex villain. and, like i said, i don't know what really happened so im just talking about the fictional characterizations in the book.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shanghai on Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Four months?

FOUR MONTHS?

YOU MAKE TOPIC AND LET IT SIT FOR FOUR MONTHS?

If you don't post in this topic, I will take all of your stuffed animals and BURN THEM.

So, yeah. I read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother today. It was... interesting, and I really have no idea what point Amy Chua was trying to make.
Shanghai
Water Bender

Male Number of posts : 253

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon May 09, 2011 8:00 pm

^ i havent been reading other than my textbooks. it's been project after project.

yesterday though, i did manage to read 'The Art of Walt Disney' which was pretty interesting. i was talking about some of it a few days ago or so regarding Fantasia in the video games section.

now im reading a book that delves into how astrology, alchemy, and such is hidden in Winnie the Pooh. i also ordered the complete set of Winnie the Pooh so i can read it and then understand what the author is saying. it's pretty interesting so far.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue May 10, 2011 9:10 am

I haven't been reading much in regards to full paged literature, but I did start browsing through the Art of Avatar the other day. I noticed that on the advertisement and box-set art section, the rough ideas of box-art showed Aang using the spirit bending technique on Ozai.

We often said that was an assgrab they just suddenly thought of during season 3 or at the ending, but it looks like that might had considered the possibility even way before Season 3.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue May 10, 2011 10:37 am

even so, they should have built up on it so it didn't seem random. =p

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue May 10, 2011 10:43 am

That's true. I think the only time they revealed the lion turtle was during the library episode.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue May 10, 2011 10:49 am

yeah. but even the lion turtle didn't really upset me as much as the bending thing did. because the idea of a turtle with an island on its back has been around for like...ever...it was in the third Aladdin movie :D
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu May 12, 2011 8:55 am

Well the turtle was kind of ass grabby if you ask me as well. The spirit bending and turtle needed some more evidence throughout the whole series.

Nothing as deliberate explaining them, but something subtle like a statue, mosaic wall art, or something like that. If that was done in pattern, then it would had worked very well. I've seen it done in a lot of entertainment forms, where it's just art of something ancient, and people dismiss it as the fantasy of the artist.

I don't know how they could had worked the spirit bending in with subtlety though.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu May 12, 2011 5:39 pm

i dont think the spirit bending would have seemed as random had they hinted at the fact that lion turtles were powerful creatures and knew secrets many did not.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu May 12, 2011 5:53 pm

I think more would be needed then that though, especially for me.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu May 12, 2011 6:05 pm

it depends on how they did it, i think.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:20 pm

why are we talking about Avatar here O.o

Everything around him appeared to have a haziness to it. And yet, everything was crystal clear. Complete and utter darkness engulfed him. And yet, light provided a tender warmth that encompassed his entire being. He knew he was dying or already dead. And yet, he never felt so alive.

He could suddenly feel the air around him again; feel himself breathing slowly as though he had just come from a very peaceful dream. His eyes were opening slowly to a blurry yet colorful world rather than the dark, hostile place he was expecting. But now, that suddenly seemed like nothing but a horrible nightmare; a distant place that may never have been reality. Another life.

There was a little girl leaning on the edge of the bed as though she had been waiting for him to wake for all eternity. And yet, that seemed just fine with her: she would wait forever if she had to.

He wasn't entirely sure what was going on yet, deep down, he knew all that was happening to him. The little girl's eyes said everything. She was the spitting image of her mother but her eyes were all his. Those beautiful brown eyes were his and his alone. And as the memories of a previous time, a previous life slowly filled him at a lucid, tranquil pace; he knew that there would no longer be any suffering or any pain. No longer would he have to stare at a boy who was the spitting image of a man he detested yet possessed the only gateway to the woman he had loved for years: her eyes. No longer would he have to stare into those boy's eyes, tormented by what could have been and what was lost. Because those were his eyes.

"Are you awake?" she asked and, for a moment, he couldn't believe that she was speaking, that she was really, truly in front of him.

"Yes," he found himself saying as he reached out towards her. He needed to feel her, to know that she was real despite the fact there was already a hope in his heart that knew she was real; that all of this was real.

"Mummy says pancakes are ready."

And as she said this, he felt her lovely red hair.

damn you jk rowling, damn you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZteFNazc0

....oh god Gerard, just stop being the Phantom.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 am

Because I was talking about the art book, which is a form of a book in a sense. And then you changed the topic even further into Avatar :P. We just go off topic.

I don't get it, what am I supposed to be looking/reading? I get that is Harry Potter right? Did you write that?

Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: