Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Heroes of Little Springs; Comment Section

4 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

The Heroes of Little Springs; Comment Section - Page 14 Empty Re: The Heroes of Little Springs; Comment Section

Post  Lee Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Do you want me to change my post/edit it? Or did you come up with an idea of Jet being captured or whatever?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

The Heroes of Little Springs; Comment Section - Page 14 Empty Re: The Heroes of Little Springs; Comment Section

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:13 pm

I had something (like, an idea) but then I forgot it. So I'm trying to remember what it was :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 pm

I mean, the rest of your stuff just makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one that goes through it.

Well, I'll leave a link to a thread that I once read up on when I was controlling the various RPs.

http://roleplay-geek.blogspot.com/2010/12/scenario-writing-linear-plots.html

Most of the bullets are things that we've both done and suffered from, so I went searching one day to find some pointer lists to better work out the Avatar RP and the such.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:54 am

Oh, so you were holding out on me, is that it?

I'll read it later as well as post later. I have things to do today....I only came on to burn a DVD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm

It's cool. Working on a project of some sort?

And I wouldn't call it holding out. I just didn't know if you wanted to do research on those things/read up on them.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Yes, it's called the project from hell. :p

and my comment was a joke.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:05 pm

I meant was it for that college course or something else?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:31 pm

No I got hired to do some video for the 8th grade play. They wanted me to film some scenes for it.

Now, normally, I'd be okay with it but what ended up happening was the director had no idea how much time it actually takes to film in general. So she kept cutting out my filming time to do other things. She never cut the special director that came in a few times. Never cut the choreographer. Or the set designer. But she kept cutting my time. So because of that, I've had to do so much ridiculous unnecessary re-shoots, edits, etc.

And in the end, I had to take out all the dialogue and audio and make it a silent movie because the audio was half assed too.

I better be getting paid a decent amount for this. I spent at least 8 hours on editing alone. And that's only for one scene. That doesn't include the behind the scenes video, performances, and some other thing I'm supposed to be doing.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Well that's the problem, some people don't realize the amount of work that is involved. That's not just for film, or graphic design, or animation, but a lot of things.

Then they expect to pay chicken crap change for the services.

Here's an example. One of my old professors from my college once had a person hire them for graphic design/logos. They were one of those bigwig moneybucks, who really didn't understand the steps and preparations for certain things.

So instead of wanting to pay for a project, they just wanted to pay for the hours used and expected everything to be done in an hour. Some people are just stupid, because they've never lifted a pen/pencil/rake/hammer ect.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Yeah, I get that. I just thought it was weird because the director IS a musical theater person so you would think a fellow artist would realize a lot of work goes into any artistic project regardless of the medium being used.

Like, I don't know, I just figured all artistic people were aware of the struggle :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Probably not when they get up to high in the field, then they forget, or they were placed up their without working their way up.

I wouldn't hold your breath on a good paying gig for a school, they're usually looking for volunteer work as it is. At least where I was, they pretty much made kids work like slaves when they signed up for after school activities.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Loyal Subject wrote:Well, the Thin Man did just come out of Tyler's shadow......and the missing kids all disappeared on the days Tyler played the game. And Tyler acknowledged he knew all the kids one way or another. And we know Tyler saw the Thin Man for real because its residue was in his room. Meanwhile, there was no residue left at any of the crime scenes.

If it was the first theory being that the Thin Man is from the computer game itself, why would it only come out of Tyler's shadow? And why would Tyler be the only one to see the Thin Man and not be missing? Anyone else that potentially saw the Thin Man have disappeared. So if it was just from the game, it wouldn't pick and choose.

I mean, I guess unless there's an obscure rule where you have to make a copy of the game and then pass it along to survive but that's just stupid, who would ever come up with a dumbass idea like that?

Oh wait....

Also, if it was a creature that only came out of people's shadows and then grabbed them, it would have already grabbed Tyler before fighting with Jet. But it didn't. And again, none of the other victims had a shadowy substance anywhere near them before getting kidnapped. It's just Tyler who hasn't even been kidnapped yet.

I don't know, I thought the coming out of Tyler's shadow was pretty obvious. I mean, it's not like Captain Hook or Wendy's shadow can come out of Peter Pan. Only Peter Pan's shadow can come out of himself....

My Post:
See, that's exactly what that link I sent you talks about.

Clues - When you leave clues in a scene to further the plot, make them really obvious.  I can't tell you the number of times that a party has walked past a too subtle clue or picked up on it to only miss it's significance.  It's an easy trap to fall into when writing scenarios as you become immersed in the plot during the creative process, what seems obvious to you at the time of writing may be a leap of cognitive faith several weeks later when a player encounters it.  I often leave multiple clues in a scene which reinforce each other and the correct path to take to the next scene, if the players miss one, they may pick up on the others and players often get a big buzz out of finding clues.

A snippet from the article. I pretty much read this a few times when doing the chapters and whatnot to make things are clear as I could, without going into too unsubtle territory.

And before you say that the clues were painstakingly obvious, I've thought the same thing when I was doing things with the Avatar RP/chapters, ect. But you completely missed them.

Edit: It also sounds familiar to what Raven went through in Teen Titans, but I expected it was her from the beginning since she had powers. Tyler on the other hand is a regular kid, so I didn't suspect him at all.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Wait, what did Raven go through?

I didn't really intend this particular story to be a straight up mystery though. Like I said, this storyline was supposed to be way shorter. And the clues were supposed to be more subtle.

Sort of like when you watch a story that has a twist and then you go back and realize all the subtle clues that you never would have realized until you got to the end. So, the twist was the Thin Man comes out of Tyler. So then you go back and realize 'oh that makes sense because of x, y, and z'. It wasn't my intention that anyone figures it out until it was revealed. Like I said, I thought it was obvious that the Thin Man was in Tyler's mind, Tyler's creation, whatever by having him come out of his shadow. Guess not.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Sorry, but I didn't catch on to it. But there have been plenty of times (since I've been controlling the RPs for a very long time) where you haven't caught onto things. Which is why in certain parts of the New Nation thread, like the latest post, I made things as obvious as I could.

Raven watches the Scary Movie with the other Titans and then gets nightmares. So the cast is trapped inside the haunted tower and one by one they all fall, until Raven realizes that she is scared, but fights back her fears.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Oh right....I've seen that episode.

And yeah, I didn't want it to be too obvious it was Tyler like how it's obvious it's Raven because part of what I wanted to show was sort of what a kid goes through when they realize they have powers. It's not always obvious that they're the ones that have powers in part because they don't know it themselves.

But like I said, whatever. I feel like my trying to make it obvious it was Tyler is the equivalent of you trying to make it obvious what's going on in the New Nation thread. So let's just call it even.

I'm not going to be posting much more tonight. Like I said in the other thread, my hands are cramping from filming and editing all day. And, in the end, I just want to push a table over because my editing the video from hell AGAIN looks like crap as a silent film because SPOILERS it wasn't supposed to be silent!

@____________________________@

EDIT: sorry, but this whole discussion just reminded me of this scene :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVOU3XAl_g lmao
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Yeah, I'm not saying that it's easy lol.

And sorry about your project going awry.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:24 pm

Ugh it's fine. I'm just going to talk to the director, show her how god damn stupid it looks silent and then show her the version I fixed with music in it and see if we can just play that instead. Or, the beginning where the cue cards are needs to be re-shot. I'll see how it looks with kids doing things on stage too but I'm not going to let it be put up there if I think it looks like garbage.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:28 am

The person in charge, did they suggest making it a silent film because of the bad audio? This is for some graduation right? Well I think people graduating would want some audio/music in it. It would seem a little anti-climatic to make it a silent film, no offense lol.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 pm

It's not for graduation. It's for a scene in a play. And the kid's going to be singing live so the scene's going to have audio. The video just won't.

And yes, they said to make it silent because of the bad audio.

My solution to the problem is getting the two leads in the library and re-filming it MY WAY. with no god damn stupid interruptions and bs. Tomorrow I'm going to watch a shitload of silent movies and storyboard it for Wednesday. Then I'm going to edit it for Saturday.

Now I just have to email the director and tell her I'm doing this and I don't even care anymore. I'm gutting the dialogue and if other kids want to be in it in the background fine. I'm not dealing with this stupid choreography **** that looks ridiculous anymore.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 pm

By the way, when I say the place is down to its bare bones, I mean that there are still walls in the building. Like, it's still an actual building with rooms. It's just the insulation hasn't been put in. So the electricity should be on in at least some parts of the building.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Actually electricity, water, and heating aren't run until the house is completely boxed in/covered. Run as in pipe/wire added to the building. It's a construction term, not run like as turned on. Which is why if you've ever walked into a construction site or house that was being built, you'd spot generators running. Sometimes they even rigged up a giant billboard full of outlets and had a generator running for that, so that people could use a lot of different power tools ect.

I should know as I've worked on enough buildings, but I don't mind what you want. I just wanted to correct you :P

So I'll edit whatever it is that you wanted me to.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm

There is pipe and wires though that's what I'm saying.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpXfcTF6iVk

this is the only good thing I could find that demonstrates what I'm talking about. It starts at the 2:00 mark. Granted, it's all close ups but you can see the building is put together, there's just construction going on in the building and the building itself is empty.

that's what I meant. with some spots still needing to be insulated.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm

It doesn't matter, I said I edited my post.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 pm

Oh I thought you said you would edit your post. As in you hadn't done it yet.

My bad.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:43 pm

It's fine, I just figured Jet/someone would need to switch on a generator or circuit board in order for the electricity to run through the lights.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next