Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The News Thread

+3
zfish9
HaruWolf
Lee
7 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The News Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The News Thread

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 pm

yeah i know. the only problem is, there arent any first year courses that fit my major. and im currently taking almost all the required courses freshmen year (im waiting for science next semester because i want to take introductory to astronomy and im not taking no for an answer!). but yeah, all the other courses are sophomore level courses. so either way, next semester im going to have to take sophomore level courses. i just wanted to wait if i could until next semester so i could weave into it. but, it looks like i dont really have a choice. though, i am hoping it wont be as difficult because as i said, ive already read half of the books on the list in another english class (except Hamlet, I read that on my own this year).
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Well you don't want to wait to long to sign up for classes, they have a seat limit you know. If you wait until the last minute like you say you're going to it's likely that the ones you want will already be filled up. Then you'll have to find another class which might not even fit with your major or try your best to weasel into a full class, which is really hard and a pain to do. I know since I had to do that once when a class I signed up for ended up being canceled so I had to get the only other class there was. They told me at the last minute about the cancellation to, right a few days before classes started, nice of them huh?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 pm

^ well it basically comes down to i can only take either this class that im already signed up for or i have to take a class that doesnt really have to do with anything i need but it's a freshmen level course. i cant take anything in my major because i have to finish a class this semester first. and the science class i dont want to take now because id rather wait and take something im interested in. otherwise, it will be Calculus all over again where i have one class that doesnt fit with all the others and i dont have that much interest in it so ill be unable to focus. so yeah...i dont have a lot of options to begin with because i was told almost at the last minute that i didnt have to take College English when i asked them this question two months ago and they said i had to take it @_@. im hoping this professor emails me back soon so i know what im doing.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Wait if you're English is already taken care of why would you waste money on an unnecessary course? Unless you're doing it so you're a full time student and have the benefits. If it was up to me I would take a class I would need for my major instead of waste a course that I didn't need. It just means that you'll have one less class down and you'll that much closer to finishing college.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 pm

^ ok hold on i didnt explain it right. i have two options:

1. I take the Humanities course which is required (it's the next highest English course). But it's a sophomore level course. so i dont know if id be able to handle it my first semester. that's why im emailing the professor asking her opinion. ive explained the situation im in.

2. I take a course that isnt necessary for my major but is a freshmen level course.

3. take the science course that i dont want to take. ive already decided im not doing this because if i take a class im not going to enjoy at all and im surrounded by other classes that interest me, i wont want to learn. especially if i know i have an option to take a science class that i would love next semester.

i want to take another course (even though it isnt required) because we're paying for a full time student so it's a flat rate. it doesnt matter if i take three or four courses, i have to pay the same price. so i might as well take the four even if it might not be necessary.

i cant take any classes regarding my major because i have to take a course called "First Year Topics" before i can get into my major. so next semester i can get into my major. these courses would be sophomore level courses.

either way, my only options are take a higher level course that's required or take an unnecessary course. the only thing that's holding me back from the higher level course is i dont know what to expect so i dont want to end up killing myself the first semester. then again, im at an advantage already having read half of the material...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:34 pm

A few things I want to say, somethings in life you're not going to like doing, but you're going to have to do it anyway. I'm sure you already know that, but college is not like school, when you set foot in, you're considered an adult.

There's three options, two that are beneficial, one that isn't as beneficial. There's been a lot of classes I didn't really want to take, but I did anyway to get a credit out of the way. Not to mention classes where I struggled to get by with the skin on my teeth, but I passed with a B or A.

If this one class in English the higher one will get you a credit that will actually help besides having full time student records I would say take it. Knowing the material beforehand is a bonus.

I'm pretty sure all the professor is going to say, if they even respond is "Take it if you feel you can." or some stuff like that. It's English, as long as you read the required material, can summarize it on paper, and write essays you'll do fine.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:22 am

^ actually, i got an email from the professor today and she sent me a whole sheet with an overview of the course with a majority of the assignments already included! apparently, she sent it out before i signed up for the class so i didnt get it. she also asked me a couple questions about my previous English classes. from what i read, i think i should be okay in this class. it actually seems fun...at least more fun than when i first read this stuff XD.

with that being said, im much more confident to take this course. i was mostly just worried about the work load. but judging from the schedule i read, it doesn't seem that bad compared to what ive had to do. im already used to taking a ton of notes in English the only difference is with these assignments, it's journal entries. so yeah im actually excited about this class now XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Ok well if that's the class you want now, sign up before it's too late, trust me on that one.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

^ i was already signed up. it was just a matter of whether or not to change it due to the level of difficulty. and i just finished ordering my books so i am good to go ^^.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Nice, so you don't have to sell that book either? Well it all worked out then!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:01 pm

^ no i do have three books to get rid of but my friend hasnt gotten any of her books yet so im hoping she needs the same ones as i do so i can just give them to her.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Well that'll work out pretty good or you can sell them back to the bookstore.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:21 pm

yeah that's what im planning for. ^^
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Yeah you'll get money back either way, though I suggest finding someone who needs it first. Selling books back to school bookstores is like highway robbery.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:23 pm

yeah although the school's book store has used copies for a much higher price than i paid for. so im hoping maybe it won't be so bad.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Well that might be a bit better, though still don't expect to high of a price. I once took back a seventy dollar book or maybe it was a hundred, I can't remember. All I got back was five bucks, enough to get lunch at McDonalds or something.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:38 pm

oh well ...that stinks. =/
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Shanghai Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Yeah... school bookstores suck.
Shanghai
Shanghai
Water Bender

Male Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Yeah you can say that again...
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Bunny!

http://loyalsubject.deviantart.com/art/Hiding-Bunny-134116137
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:37 pm

So that was the rabbit you were talking about? The one who you were trying to chase into a hole or something since your friends parents were mowing the lawn?

We have so many of them at the farm. They just burrow just about anywhere they please, which is annoying and kind of dangerous. We often have to dig them out and place them somewhere else.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:51 pm

^ no that one stayed in the hole. there was another one i had to chase.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Oh so what happened to that one? Did you end up catching it?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:11 pm

^ yeah we put them in their hole. all five of them.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 pm

You really like rabbits, it seems every time you have something about the news thread it's about finding them nesting around you.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next