Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature!!!

+3
zfish9
Loyal Subject
Uruviel
7 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Literature!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Literature!!!

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:50 pm

im reading Death of a Salesman and One flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest now.......
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Are those good? Interesting, dry, intense, serious?

Death of a Salesman is a play by Arthur Miller, right?
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 pm

yeah it's pretty good.

i also have to read All My Sons by him too.

and i started reading The Last Unicorn because i saw it in Barnes and Nobles....and decided to read it =D. there's an extra story in it too that is a "coda" of the original.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:01 pm

No!!!!!!! I finally found the dairies of the United States Infantry (the unit I portray) and some bumbling buffoon had to go and purchase the last one!

At this rate I'll never be able to fully learn their history during the Civil War. Those volunteer units who faltered on almost every battlefield stole their so deserved reputation and respect.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:16 pm

^ well that stinks. but ...is it at like a bookstore where you can have them order it?

ive been into fairy tales lately so im lucky and can find them online lol XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:12 pm

i finished twilight recently ( the whole four books) i loved it !.
Jacob black should get bella though ! (im a jacob fangirl SUE ME)
i creid when they agreed they would be together if they were both normal.
and on the island hunny moon i lol-ed soooo much. i got a strange thought .. if edward has no blood flwing in him how did he and bella .. well you know ...no BLOOD ..pumping in him .... well .. my friend leanne brought it up.

i also like eragon and eldest but find arinaia a mary sue and the book is rather .. unepic ?

i want a GOOD romance with werewolves invovled besides twilight any suggestions ? .
or a book that isnt all happy in the end .

also i recommend the garth nix sabreiel , lirela , aborshen trilogly : quite good . and thr wind singer trilogly for people who like books with very different settings and plot that comes out of nowhere.

Earth Bender

Female Number of posts : 717

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:33 pm

^ oh that's not the only mistake in Twilight. all of Edward's fluids are replaced with venom....so if you get what i mean......them having a honeymoon......should have turned Bella into a vampire right away.

and this is one of the reasons why the fourth book annoyed me =P
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:36 pm

and how conveinent there daughter ages but stops at the righ tage so her jacob can get together , the forth book was anti- climatic but yet good if you get me ? .

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:39 pm

LOL!
We're back to talking about Twilight :P
but man, I totally want to read the garth nix books!!! I bought Sabriel for my sister at the beginning of the summer, and and she got addicted to them and bought the other two books. I've beenn dying to read them, but I have to restrain myself to books which I can finish in a couple hours cuz I have so much more serious reading to do for my classes. We're looking at Gawain and the Green Knight again this week - had to read it in the original untranslated Middle English!! And I'm reading the Bhagvad Gita for my World Religions class.

LS, if you like Arthur Miller, you should read The Crucible. It's pretty good. The ending is sooooooooo sad, but it's a triumph for the main character too. Apparently he wrote it as a critique of the Red Scare and McCarthysm in the 1950s when everyone was panicking about Communists. It's pretty interesting.

btw, Lee, would those Infantry diaries be available online or at the National Archives, or some thing? I don't know if you've got any place like that near where you are, though, seeing as I know barely anything about the US..... or maybe you could try the library of a University....? I bet you there'd be history students who'd need such documents for their research....... Just a thought....
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:20 pm

garthnix rules:D .
and yes me and crowd are twilighters now because i saw the thread on it and read them then lent the out .
the movie is out soon i think XD.

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 pm

My class just finished reading The Crucible and watching the movie. I cried at the end of the movie. Now we are reading Edgar Allan Poe. We read The Black Cat and The Tell-Tale Heart so far.
HaruWolf
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 pm

i read the Crucible already.

i hate being a veteran twilight fan. like i read the first book before it was popular. i find that because almost all of the fans are girls that all the fangirlism is just annoying me. if i was a new fan i dont think it would bother me as much because id be excited and what not but...yeah that's just my opinion. i think we need some guy twilight fans to balance it out. it's not like harry potter where there's guys and girls and the fangirlism can easily be avoided.....with this it's like.....the fangirlism never dies down and is constantly full force and i can only tolerate it for so long.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:48 pm

<_<..........Wah!

Seriously LS, that's like the guy getting to the free food stand first and hating everyone else who goes to it afterwards.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 pm

well the guys in my friend circle love rosalie <.< go figure and one likes....JACOB :S so there guy fans .
just like a 756 to 1 ratio lol.
im a jacob fan girl , the tent scene XD:P.

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 pm

im not saying i hate it, im saying im starting to get annoyed with it. it's different if you're just reading people's comments or something because if you dont feel like dealing with it, you can just not read it. which is the case with most anime fangirling because it's not as popular in America as Twilight. but because there are fangirls EVERYWHERE you look, it becomes annoying. yes, im a fan of twilight but i never in public have fangirl spasms and scream at the top of my lungs "OMG EDWARD CULLEN". i dont even do that with L fangirling in public. so it annoys me that people can't control themselves whenever Twilight is mentioned. it's different if you're in the theater or you're at a con but can you please have some self control in the classroom or some other place that is not focusing on Twilight. there is a time and place for it just not every time someone mentions the word Twilight. that's all im saying.

and the only reason why i mention it is because it happened at Drama Club today. where all of a sudden every girl in the room screamed something about twilight. i dont care if people talk about it but it's the screaming that gets to me. even though sometimes i put OMG L!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i never scream it in a random place where someone brings up L.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 pm

im a bit like that IF a coversation about jacob is brought up . but i dont scream but i do get exceited but not if someone goes who likes twilight . leanne almost faints if you badmouth edward who i HATE >.<
M

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:18 pm

lol it's the same thing with anything. Just be glad that your fans are no where near as bad as the civil war people.

God the comments that plague videos from reenactments and clips from movies, they just make me question the intelligence of the monkey's typing it.

"Damn yanks! I'm glad those tyrannical bastards were slaughtered!"

or

"You should be ashamed of your family heritage, being a Confederate! All you cared about was enslaving us!"

Keep in mind these were and often are typed in crap font.

Those who believe that the Civil War was only fought about slavery are just as stupid as those who believe that slavery had nothing to do with the war. It was a matter of the war, but it held no smaller or larger importance then anything else in the war.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:34 pm

^ yeah but see i didnt experience a publicly obnoxious Harry Potter fanbase. every time someone brought up harry potter it was people just talking about their opinions and why they like it and stuff. i think that's why i find it annoying because ive never experienced a super crazy fanbase before to the point where it is if you mention the name Edward and it could be like Edward Elric and not Edward Cullen there will be someone to scream "OMG EDWARD CULLEN!?" and then once when that is said, all hell breaks loose because the other fangirls hear that comment and add something like "OMG TWILIGHT" "OMG JACOB" etc. etc.

it is a massive chain reaction. i dont think i would be as annoyed if it was a little bit gender mixed because Twilight is the type of subject where guys can control themselves more than girls can when it comes to screaming. i just think the fangirls of twilight go overboard. it becomes less of a fanbase and more of a cult. that and the risembool rangers are out of control too sometimes not as bad as twilight fans but they can be pretty crazy.

but then again, i never liked being part of groups so i just probably dont want to associate myself with them =P. i like being a big fan but being individual and not being a part of fan clubs......like the risembool rangers...it's just not my thing. and it could be just because im so quiet and because im more into discussing rather than screaming about nothing that i dont like it. it'd be completely different if i was a new comer.

anyway...books...books......ummm.......i have to read this cuckoo's nest, almost done with all my sons, and then im moving onto the last unicorn finally...

WHY IS A RAVEN LIKE A WRITING DESK? =P
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 pm

guys can control themselves more than girls can when it comes to screaming.
Woah woah woah! Obviously you've never seen soldiers bayonet charging.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:56 pm

you took the quote out of context Lee. i said "when it comes to Twilight guys can control themselves more than girls when it comes to screaming." it's different. i said Twilight only. not Civil War reenactments.

because honestly, is a guy going to scream over who gets Bella? i have yet to see one.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Oh whoops I read that wrong!

"OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH MMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY GGGGGGOOOOODDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!! BELLA AND WHOEVER THE HELL!!!!!!"

Hey there ya go!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Literature!!! - Page 2 Empty EPIC^

Post  karin Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 pm

LMFAO LOL LOL LOL lol! Razz Laughing Laughing Embarrased Embarrased lol!

that was FUNNY !!!!!! . oooooh i laughed. and its JACOB XD.

my brother wanted that josh newton ( was it josh? ) to get with her :S he does my head in . im glad he doesnt live here anymore :) Very Happy !

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 pm

We'll I don't know anything about Twilight, nor do I really want to read it. It sounds too much like a love romance book and I don't care for those all too much.

Though I've been searching for the journals and historical books dedicated to the unit I portray so that I can learn more about them. Most of their history has been forgotten despite how vital they were during the war, before it and even after it.

If you've ever watched Gangs of NewYork, the riot that breaks out against the Irish. The United States Infantry who I portray, those soldiers were the ones who stopped the riot. Though of course Hollywood probably didn't know that, and disgraced their names by making them look like fools running around in circles. They were professionals, and stopped the riot that was going on for three weeks in just a couple of minutes.

If I can get a hold of these books I can finally learn more about them. Then I'll be one step closer to my Civil War animation!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 pm

have you tried going to a libary < duh you most likely have or thought of it .

or tried asking someone in the armed forces if they know where they would be? is there a history teacher in your college ?
ask him/her where you can locate them .

but i laughed at your over post .

sorry LS but you must admit ( since i pictured lee from the rp ) running around OOOOOOOHH BELLA MY GOD " lol . with his cowboy hat flying high and landing on his head agian and chibi version .

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Yeah I've tried school and public libraries. I also checked book stores including those at historical battle sites, such as Gettysburg.

The one that would help me the most "Sykes Regulars, The Infantry Division In the Eastern Theater During The Civil War 1861-1865" has stopped publishing it. The one I did find was close to $300. If it was 60 I would buy it in a heart beat, but 300!? It's a pretty thick book that's really in depth about the subject.

Though I found a book "12 Years in the Rank" a journal about a fifer in the Regular Division, through his experience. He was only 12 years old during the start of the war. I need to get an actual copy now lol.

Oh yeah, and Lee doesn't own a cow boy hat.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum