Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature!!!

+3
zfish9
Loyal Subject
Uruviel
7 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Literature!!! - Page 8 Empty Re: Literature!!!

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:01 pm

what movie? Caped Crusader? It's the new issue of a comic. not a movie....or are you talking about Coraline?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:05 pm

I meant Coraline. You said in one post that the preview did not make it out to what it was.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Coraline is about a girl who one day opens an abandoned door in her house and discovers another world where her other mother and other father live. She's conflicted with staying in her own world because her own world is boring and her parents work a lot and in contrast her other mother and other father are perfect.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Im reading Hamlet now......its so good ^^
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:38 pm

In school? I didn't care for it all that much.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:02 pm

the movie of hamlet was better.
i at least understood that.

yeah, sorry, but i may be great in English, but i don't speak Shakespeare
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:06 pm

well i have a cheat cheat on the side in case i need help XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:15 pm

A cheat sheet?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:18 pm

yeah right next to the original text is a simpler version of what characters are saying.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 pm

OH YEAH!
we have the same exact books at my school.
but it's even easier if you watch the movie, then read it.
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:33 pm

^ psssh no way. im reading the original. if i want to watch a movie based on Hamlet, ill just pop in The Lion King. =P
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:12 am

Lee wrote:The one that would help me the most "Sykes Regulars, The Infantry Division In the Eastern Theater During The Civil War 1861-1865" has stopped publishing it. The one I did find was close to $300. If it was 60 I would buy it in a heart beat, but 300!? It's a pretty thick book that's really in depth about the subject.
Ok I now found the book for half that price. Around 150 bucks, that still is steep, but I found it cheaper nonetheless.

This book is now out of print and the author refuses to make more even though demands are somewhat high. It's pretty much a rare book now so to speak.

Just curious I don't think I'm going to, but how many of you if you were searching for a book that was out of production would pay a larger price then it was originally worth to obtain it?

The thing that pisses me off is it's the only reliable source of the unit I portray nowhere else or so I heard is any of the information on even terms. The information I've found of them through other books, shows, and internet have gained me a sentence here or there from them. I learned a lot through pieces I've stumbled across, but this has it all condensed in one book.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:51 pm

^ oh wow, i was going to ask a question about a book and i saw i didnt even answer your question. sorry about that ^^

umm i know it's late but here's my answer =D

i think it depends on the book. and how much more it is. if it's a lot, id try to get a used copy first. i had to do that with one of my school books because my teacher wanted a book that was out of print. of course, it was a much more common book....not like what you're talking about. id be more willing to buy a book that is more expensive then let's say a video game or something. because if it's a book i really want, i know im going to read it. so it's not like it'd be a waste of money.

but you're talking a $150 geez....that's a lot....it'd have to be a really good book and that's something where i would want to personally look at it before buying it. if you just skim it you can usually tell if it's worth it. even though im sure you already came to your decision hehe ^^

anyway....my question was does anyone know when that next book in the Inheritance Series is coming out? I remember someone posted a link to the original site........because i would like to know if it's coming out this year or something so i can put myself on the waiting list at the library. and i dont trust wikipedia's information with this type of stuff.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm

The book I'm referring to is less about a novel and more about historical accuracy.

Well...LS get this. I was at a reenactment a few weeks ago. It was a small event, kinda like bum dry. There weren't many sutlers maybe three at the most. Sutlers are tents that sell goods, mostly for reenactors. So don't expect to go into one to buy a souvenir.

Anyway after meeting up with my group I decided to check out the sutlers that weren't that far away this time. I was just browsing when a book caught my attention. It was a book about the unit I portray before the outbreak of the Civil War. Basically the years before and how they prepared for it and it was dirt cheap to. I couldn't believe it, in a small event like this! I didn't even think for a second, I bought it in a heartbeat!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:45 pm

^ yeah see good thing you didnt get the more expensive one. i usually get my old books at garage sales or antic stores =D
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Oh well that one book is about their service during the war. It gets down to each regiment explaining what they did. I read a small footnote on it. I wish I had a copy!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:38 am

I just finished Wicked. It's a fantastic novel. I'm going to read the sequel, Son of a Witch, next.
HaruWolf
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:47 am

That book sounds familiar for some reason. LS was that the one book you obsessed about earlier in our forum days about the witch from Wizard of the Oz?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 am

yes and no. i was obsessed with the musical Wicked. not the book. i read the book after i saw the musical and i didnt like the book ....at all....it was....too much of an adult book. Wicked the musical was like watching a Disney movie =D. i have a Wicked book that's about the musical though ^^ if that counts....it has pretty pictures and stuff =D
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 am

Oh well you went on and on about the book I guess you meant the play then.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:35 pm

yup that must of been it. it's such a good musical =D
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Nice! Reading that one book I told you that I found at a reenactment, I learned that a lot of the people they protected hated them.

"It's a shame that we are hated by our enemy and even more so by those we protect."
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 pm

i wouldnt be surprised if there was some conspiracy theory around that =p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 pm

lol no it was more that back then people didn't see a need for a strong backbone military. After wars like Revolutionary War, Mexican/American ect ect the military strength decreased since the war was over. Sometimes to the point of being paper thin.

Though this one military unit was what you might call the beginning of what we see as our military strength today. (Think Marines nowadays) They were still short in numbers and had about 1490 some people for each soldier alone to protect. Though people didn't like the fact that some of their taxes went to this units fund.

They were formed in the Revolutionary War, protected the colonies and soon after states from Indian threats, were basically the sole reason why the West was expanded (they did all the hard work), made sure that when the Civil War was rearing it's ugly head in the 1850's that the South was controlled despite the many riots, saved the Union from crumbling due to inexperienced volunteer state troops who made the majority of the Union army, and when the war was over made sure that the crippled economy could recover and kept the South in check in case of another war. Yet despite all these amazing feats they were still treated like filth to those they protected.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:48 pm

oh ok ^^ though i dont agree with expanding the West...but whatever =p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum