Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature!!!

+3
zfish9
Loyal Subject
Uruviel
7 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Literature!!! - Page 6 Empty Re: Literature!!!

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:26 pm

i didnt rush through it though. i just read it non-stop. it still took me like .....almost a week or so to finish it. i think maybe 5 days. when i say rushing....i mean like they skip chapters and when you go to discuss the book with them they have no idea what happened even though they just read it because they stayed up at ridiculous hours just to finish the book. when i got home at 1:00 in the morning from buying the book, i only read for a half hour and then i went right to sleep because i knew i wasnt going to remember anything that i read that night. the only one that i rushed through was the first one and that was way back in fifth grade. and i dont mind if they forget the small details but when they start forgetting the themes of the novel and important details like the fact that Bella isnt the most beautiful girl, then that's a problem. that's like forgetting Harry's scar.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:01 pm

They probably didn't forget it, it was probably more what they thought the public and media wanted. This would be the cookie cutter pretty girl.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 pm

^ eh?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:20 pm

You know what I mean. The media, public, and directors probably though a Mary Sue was better to have on screen as Bella(?) then some average looking girl. I don't know anything about the movie, but from what I read from your posts, it seems they choose someone more pretty then Bella actually was to play the part.

It happens all the time. Someone changes something of the story whatever entrainment form it was to make it more likable by the majority.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:27 pm

^ no no no, the person said that about the book. they said in the book Bella was the most pretty girl. that particular person didnt even see the movie. they just read it to write a review for the book. and everything they said was wrong. they also said something about Bella being Stephanie Meyer (the author) which is also not true >_>
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Oh, well you should be more clear next time. You went on and on about how people who rushed through the book just to see the first night opening didn't remember stuff or skipped it. So I just assumed you were referring to a person who skimmed the book quickly and then watched the movie.

I don't know if the movie is good or not, but I do know that the reason it made the top chart is due to all the crazy fangirls who went to see it five or more times in a week. That's too much of an overkill.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:37 pm

oops ^^ my bad.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:07 pm

lol no worries I do that a lot as well.

I've been having to do a lot of short story readings for my classes. Some of the stories were being made to read are kind of really out there and sometimes a bit creepy. At least the ways I interpret them.

Anyways the real reason I'm posting here is since I have to travel to school during the weeks of course. It takes about a hour and half to get to school both ways. So I stay there the whole time until school is finished even if I have a long break, which unfortunately happened again this semester. It's not as bad as last years but I still have a five hour break in between classes twice a week. I normally use that time to finish up homework and whatnot, but there comes a time when I finish all I can do and I still have about two or so hours to waste. Which I pretty much do is waste the time.

Do any of you guys have suggestion of any books to read during those time periods? I'm not much of a fan on romance, so don't suggest Twilight. Though I do like adventurous books, that have great character development, good plots, a story that doesn't feel forced so to speak. I'm really not that picky, but many times I do pick up a book it turns out that I choose the worst one that I could possibly pick from. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and I don't care if there is romance, so long as it doesn't heavily impact the whole book if you know what I mean.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:22 pm

^ I'd suggest the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.
HaruWolf
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:26 pm

...If you had watched the movies like I did, before reading the books, would that ruin it? Would I already know what happens before it happens? Or is the book entirely different then the movie?

Thanks though! I'll look into that!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:58 pm

i dont think Lee's much of a Harry Potter person....it's a long series...i would suggest some "quick" read books. Harry Potter isnt really a time killing series if you know what i mean....

here's what i would suggest:

Cat's Cradle <= this is a nice quick read
Slaughterhouse 5 <= this one if you really wanted to, you dont even have to read every chapter. it's very strange though.
Fahrenheit 451 <= another quick read.

i read most of those this year so you might have already read them in your english class.

im currently reading "The Looking Glass Wars" which is a spin off of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. though honestly, you'll probably have to read the originals first. it's interesting because the spin off claims to be the "true history of Wonderland" and claims that Lewis Carrol's version is completely false.

the final one i have is "The Things they Carried" which is based on the Vietnam War.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Actually I haven't read any of those books. In English class we were all placed in groups and assigned one book per group to read. One of the groups was assigned Fahrenheit 451. From what I remember the main guy was a Fire Fighter who hid books that were by law supposed to be burned. 451 is the temperature that paper combusts....am I right about that?

Though thanks for those ideas I might actually read those! I'll have to get to a book store some time this week before that darned time break lol.

For the group I was assigned in we had to read Float Plane Notebook. That book was really good. It was a story that went through the years of the family. Each person had their own chapter in their perspective as the family grew up. Each person had more then one chapter to themselves but it wasn't in an even order. If you haven't read this book I recommend it, it's a little sad at the ending though.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:44 pm

^ yup that's right. (about the paper thing) well if that's the case, there's also the Great Gatsby and Lord of the Flies. the Great Gatsby appears to be a romance novel but it really isnt. Lord of the Flies is about this group of kids that get stranded on an island and if civil manners prevails over barbaric behavior or vice versa. it's also a good read. but my teachers told me most students have read those two across the country so i didnt mention them before. though i had to read Lord of the Flies outside of school =/. there's also 1984 which is a lot like 451 ^_^
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Oh I see that's a lot of books! I think I might be a busy reader for the next few weeks or so. I ain't a fast reader.....

Oh yeah and LS did you read the comics I made of the RP? I did some nice thoughtful scenes just for Ai Very Happy
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:02 pm

yeah...
or thoughtless...
whichever you thinks describes it better!
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Lee wrote:Oh I see that's a lot of books! I think I might be a busy reader for the next few weeks or so. I ain't a fast reader.....

Oh yeah and LS did you read the comics I made of the RP? I did some nice thoughtful scenes just for Ai Very Happy
where is it?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:16 pm

lol they are on deviant art. They are comic strips with humor.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:30 pm

^ those were funny. though i dont know why it wasnt coming up in my deviant account that you made something >.<
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Loyal Subject wrote:^ those were funny. though i dont know why it wasnt coming up in my deviant account that you made something >.<
you sure you watched him?
i went back and checked, i had him as a friend, but i wasn't watching his deviations.
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Yeah can it come up if you are not being watched or placed in a friend list? Since you haven't done that watch thingamjig. I don't know much about Deviantart, I just recently started using it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:41 pm

oh that must be it. they used to have it where if you were friends with someone you also watched them at the same time....now it's too separate things....^_^
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Oh that might be it then.

Hope you liked them! It took me several hours for each strip to finish. I always had the ideas but decided what the heck I'll bring them in now!

My favorite parts are.

Ichiro freaking out, The brothers confused, Ryuzaki converting, Ai freaking out, and Bob that creepy commercial guy. Also if you don't notice when Ai and Ryuzaki are first shown Lee is in the background running away from a pill hand.

The second one was pure gold as well. I enjoyed making it and laughed as I made it. The whole panel of each one is funny. Best parts are Borong cracking the previous panel showing his size, Ai mocking him, splat!, Lee asking why he's hopping like a frog (seriously re-read that part of the RP he says something like hopping around to avoid the enemy) Rosso's plan in her mind, reality check tech, D: Fan, and can I eat his heart?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 pm

yeah lol they were so funny XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:59 pm

Yup! Laughing

I think I'm going to make a few more comics up with the same idea. Though I only have a few ideas that wouldn't fill up the whole page.

I'm also starting some ideas up for Roister, since like I told you all I'm going to draw each of your characters with your permission. Considering I still have it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:00 pm

yup yup of course ^_^
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum