Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Thinking

3 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Thinking - Page 16 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Thinking

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Works for me.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17174

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Thinking - Page 16 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Thinking

Post  Lee Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:46 pm

So we shouldn't bother with changing Rosso's name? I'll just tweak her wanted poster, which will make it sound like she's an assassin of red armor, meaning the Fire Nation, but it sounds like she's an assassin of blood.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18534

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 pm

I wouldn't bother changing her name. I mean, if you want to, go ahead. But I would try to think of something that isn't specifically asian. spread the love a little bit :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Right, I was switching up the wanted poster, for the sake of blurring the side she stood on.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

I know, but didn't you just ask me if we should bother changing her name?

Or, were you talking about the Crimson Claw name?

now im confused. but either way, i have the same opinion for both.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Both her name and her wanted poster name.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Either way, that's my opinion. I don't think you have to change it if you don't want to.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Right, but you said you were confused, so I clarified myself.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah, I know. I got it. We're good :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I have a few names I might throw in somewhere, just cause they sound cool. Retsior Ossor Euzok Nirak
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:56 pm

So, I was wondering if I could get your opinion on how I should go about making something since you're good at that stuff.

I ran out of pages on my journal and I want another one. And, I want to make River Song's Journal from Doctor Who. I mean, there are people that are selling it for like $50 online but I want to see if I could make it first before delving into that kind of money for a journal.

This is the journal as seen in the show:
What Are You Currently Thinking - Page 16 Il_570xN.275456433

This is the design BBC provides for creating a simple paper cover journal:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/d11s01/d11s02e04-dust-jacket.pdf

And here are some that people have made:
What Are You Currently Thinking - Page 16 Il_570xN.306766328
What Are You Currently Thinking - Page 16 Il_570xN.276896753
What Are You Currently Thinking - Page 16 P1010042

I've already looked into a couple of ways to do this but I wanted to hear your opinion before I tell you what I found :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Before I start, are you willing to spend a lot of hours and money on material? Yes you're going to be wasting money on material, sometimes the stuff might not work, and you're back at square one. What people don't realize is that making the stuff can be costly as well.

Granted this is a book, so it shouldn't be too pricey of an investment.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Let me put it to you this way: if the way you're thinking is going to go over $50 then I think I'd just rather buy it.

I've seen ways that will cut the price down significantly. Hours isn't really an issue with me. The one way I've seen takes about 6 which isn't too bad. The only reason I'm potentially choosing the making it issue is to cut the cost.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:32 pm

If you're just doing it for costs and not the fun of creating/processing it, that's your call. I'd say go for it if you were doing it for the fun to, but I don't know where you enthusiasm stands. It might just mentally exhaust you to the point where spending fifty dollars would be a better investment. I don't know you, you do.

I also don't know much about the book. I'd have to actually feel and test it to understand how it works more. The material I mean. If you want it to look good that is.

The first link is just a tape or glue on print out. Even if you use the best quality print selection, it'll still be nowhere near as great as the book. And I'm sure you don't want to go this route, because the results will look and feel very cheap. Plus you wouldn't be asking this if you wanted to just glue some paper on :P

The other three ones actually have texture and depth. That's not something you can craft on your own. Unless you know how to work leather, dyes, and so on. You'd probably have to go to a craft store and find something that looks as close as possible to that.

Like if you were to go that route, the bottom picture would probably best show your end result, not the middle. Sort of looks like a small piece of foam core.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Yeah, I only posted the paper version so you could see the pattern up close. I'm obviously not going to go that route.

The actual journal is supposedly made out of leather, I've already looked into that.

What I've seen people do is they buy a regular journal, paint it white, then use the printout as a guide for where to place the indents. Then, in order to create the indents they either use cardboard or layers of construction paper and glue it in the correct places. Then they paint over it again and put a protective coating over it. I've heard it takes a lot of blue paint.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Well the pictures you've shown me are all made out of some kind of leather, and that stuff is expensive. So that's out of the question. Cardboard is really weak and brittle, even more so when handling it a lot, which you're going to be doing.

Construction paper is more resilient, but also it depends on which brand and kind you buy. There are some out there that are really weak. The fabrics of the paper are so cheap and fuzzy that it bunches up, rolls, and rips easily.

You can try it, there's nothing stopping you. I just don't know enough about this. I do know some things about you though. And if I'm not mistaken, you haven't really done much on the crafting side. So be prepared for a lot of trial and error.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 pm

The last crafty thing I tried was the Clopin puppet that got destroyed in the fire. Suffice to say, I'm too lazy to attempt and make another one.

Yeah, no, I don't do serious crafts. Might just have to buy the thing and save myself the time and energy.

Though, if I managed to find a blue leather journal, do you think I'd be able to do something with it to get it to look like the images I've shown you? Because I have found some at a much cheaper price than the $50.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm

I don't know, it depends. How would you plan to create those indents in the journal? If it's just a flat notebook out of the dollar bin, then that's going to need a lot of work. It's not really my project, so I'm not investing too much time researching it. However I did give some tips.

I think you could do it, given the time, and money for the materials. It's just a matter of practicing. Also if you can find video tutorials, or tutorials in general. Use them and follow it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah I already found a video tutorial on the cardboard/construction paper route.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Then try it, but don't cut corners. Unless you feel/know you can do so. Although I would go with what they recommend for materials and tools.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Oh yeah, I was just going to copy what they did worse case scenario.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:36 pm

If you're going with tutorials, you need to follow the steps. Otherwise you're stepping in your own territory of trial and error.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah I know, I just wanted to know if based on your experience there was a potentially other way to make it.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm

There probably is, but sometimes it takes me a while to think things up. I don't always come up with solutions on the spot.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 pm

I wasn't expecting you to.

I've also been looking for blue leather journals. Good ones, not dollar store/cheap ones. Haven't found any though. Literally found every color at Barnes and Noble except blue XD

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum