Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rant Thread

+2
Loyal Subject
Lee
6 posters

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

Rant Thread - Page 39 Empty Re: Rant Thread

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:20 pm

^ That's true, I've never thought of that.

Well, Tuesday when I go into the city, I'll hopefully be meeting someone who also has a production company. So hopefully I'll get on that. I don't think they pay but whatever.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17175

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 pm

You never know what will be in store until you try.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18535

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:46 pm

^ I'd rather do production anyway than what I'm doing now. What I'm doing now is just down right boring. I know I've got to do boring things before I get to do the fun stuff but honestly I feel like I'm going nowhere with this guy. I mean, he's supposedly letting me try to edit something for him but then he keeps pulling back like he doesn't want me to do it. And I'm just like 'this is what I went to school for and you've seen my work.' He doesn't realize that students are taught all aspects of production nowadays so to him me thinking i might want to direct in the future translates to i don't know diddly squat about editing. I mean, I've only been editing since I was a freshman in high school and I only edited everything that's in my production reel. :p

.....It's just temporary until I find something better. I'm also going to re-apply to the local movie theater now that the college kids should be gone. Even if it's technically a step down :p

Since I can't do an internship in the fall due to my packed schedule, I'm hoping maybe I'll find a better internship for Spring. And if I don't, it's not a big deal because I've already done an internship. And there's still those Disney internships for recent grads....but I'm not holding my breath for those.

I also got to be a member of some group. I didn't get the scholarship with that interview I did a while back but they did give me a free membership for a year and said I could go to an event for free in order to help get myself out there. So that's good.

What really stinks is my friend was supposed to get an intern for Marvel and I was really banking on him making connections for me. Turns out the school misled him (shockingly) and now he's not working with Marvel and, like me, is scrambling to find internships.

But yeah...after this scenario it's become a 'I'm going to try to leave as soon as possible' type of deal.

The end :D

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Leave school as soon as possible? Well I certainly hope you at least earn a degree before doing that.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:01 pm

No, leave my job as soon as possible. I actually like school.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh alright, well you started talking about internships and school misleadings, so I didn't know.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:04 pm

i was describing my life plan :p sorry to bore you.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:11 am

More like slightly confused, but whatever :P
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:20 pm

I got my SIGGRAPH schedule and they scheduled me so far so that I will be missing ALL THE F*CKING DISNEY PANELS ARE YOU SHITTING ME WHAT IS THIS GOD DAMN BULLSHIT?!

Seriously, WTF. They asked us in the beginning what panels we would like to attend and I said I didn't care so long as I could see ONE Disney panel and they pull this **** on me. I better be able to swap my god damn shift because I just can't even right now. TALKING WITH PEOPLE AT DISNEY IS THE WHOLE REASON WHY I WANTED TO F*CKING GO TO THIS THING!

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least I can say the school's paying for this trip because I swear to **** god if I dished out the money for this trip and didn't get to meet people who work at Disney I would have killed someone.

You know what, I take that back, this fact doesn't make me feel any better. It makes me feel worse.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:31 pm

So what is this for, an internship? Or did you solely sign up for this to get an in with a panel? I'm sure you can still opt out, if you don't want to go, because that is a deal breaker in your opinion.

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe through your writing or interview, your choices of words regarding the panels wasn't clear cut enough for them. Like for example, since you said something along the lines of 'I don't care', they worked around that.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 am

I signed up for this thing so I could network with people at Disney. And at this point, it's kind of too late to opt out of it.

Also, I didn't say I don't care. I just said something along the lines of 'I would like to attend anything Disney related.' Implying that I didn't care what it was, I just wanted to get into something Disney.

I'm going to try and swap at least one of my shifts so I can go to something Disney related. I found out that there are things Disney related that I can go to but the problem is, they're scheduled at the exact same time some other stuff is scheduled for just volunteers. So if I can't swap my shift, I'm just going to email the person in charge and say 'I really want to go to a Disney panel but it is at the same time as this and it's in a ballroom so I am not entirely sure if I can get into the panel, what is your suggestion' type of thing.

This way, I can throw in the fact that hey, I asked for Disney and you pretty much scheduled me so I'd be missing all the exclusive Disney stuff and now I don't know what panels to go to get my connections because I'm a noob.

Other worst case scenario I'll see if my roommates can go to those exclusive events and give them my resume and stuff.

I also think it's annoying that I told them I'm primarily a film student and they also have me scheduled where I will be missing pretty much all of the panels that discuss the film aspect of production. The ones I have to go to are about technical animation or something but whatever I'll sit through it if it means going up to them and talking with them. Oh yeah and let's not forget that the reviewing resumes/reels aspect that they promised, big surprise, excludes film so I'm going to be going to my reviewer like 'hey uhh I only have some animation stuff but here's my filming stuff :D'

Luckily, some of the people I am missing I know exactly who they are and now have their pictures so I will be playing the stalking game during my free time. Still, it doesn't help that I'm missing the writer of Wall-E, Chris Sanders, and Henry **** Selick and Kirk Wise who directed my favorite films of all time. @_@

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:11 pm

The problem with these types of things is that there are the people in charge and the people who go through the vast amounts of applications. Or whatever you did to get into this program. So you were just another paper application to those people, and they probably had to read through so many of them to the point where they put minimal effort in each one.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Then they shouldn't have even asked us what we wanted to see in the first place. And that's ignoring the fact that all the exclusive events should've been scheduled after con hours so all the student volunteers could attend if they wanted to. Like I said, this trip ain't cheap for anyone going so they should've made all the exclusive events accessible to everyone.

But whatever I can only wait and see what happens. I sent the email today so hopefully I'll get an answer before the shift swap happens.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Well if it makes any difference, hopefully you get into one or more Disney panels.

Also just to make you feel better and know that you're not alone on things going awry, I'll let you in on one of my Gettysburg experiences. The event lasted three days, like the actual battle. Anyway the last battle is known as Pickett's Charge.

If you don't know anything about the Civil War, I'll give you a quick summary of the battle. The Confederates had attacked the Union on their right and left, during the first and second day. Both on Cemetery Hill/Ridge and then on the 'Triangle' which was a series of different battles ranging from the Wheatfield to the Round Tops.

So on the third day, they were desperate for a victory. They charged in the middle of the Union lines. They were slaughtered, because it was wide open flat ground, which stretched on for two miles, before they could even get to the Union behind a stone wall.

Our unit worked diligently to make the wall, fix the field, and so on, so that the battle would be perfect. We were guaranteed a spot on the wall because of our hard work. So when we form up on the wall, guess what? We didn't get a say, they wanted to force us off of the wall so that 'others could play'

These 'others' didn't lift a finger the entire event to do anything. I'm not going to identify these people/unit, but they do this every time to everyone, but we were forced to leave our spot.

In doing so, we didn't get to do anything. We were pushed to the sidelines to sweat in the hot sun. And prior to this we worked hard to fix the scenario, and they had marched us, full gear and all, for an hour to get there.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm

That sucks.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Yeah, but the first and second day was great, so I didn't mind too much. Plus it was still an amazing sight to see, even if we didn't get to really participate.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 pm

You're supposed to be making me feel better by leaving out the goods things that happened Lee. Jesus :p

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh well...a few of us missed out on our unit's mess call, so I wasn't able to eat a dinner. Then the company near us made too much, so they offered to spare some. I had a Thanksgiving feast...yeah.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Interesting......

So I have some potentially good news. Apparently, there's an event happening when everyone is free where CG people are going to be talking to us. They haven't listed who those people are but I'm hoping it's the Keynote speakers (the panel with all the cool people).

Now I'm not getting my hopes up or anything but I'm getting my hopes up.

Oh and I also assassinated a lot of people today in my game and that made me feel better. Kind of.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Good luck with that! And what game is this?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 am

Assassins Creed :p

I'm not gonna lie, I only wanted to play the game originally cause I thought the lead was hot and he looked like a bamf.

And good news and bad news again. I got a response from the con people and apparently Pixar is going to have its own booth that I can go to (Disney no idea yet) anytime but the bad news is they pretty said if I want one-on-one talking time with Disney Animation as of right now I have to get into the student volunteer session.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 am

So I take it this is stuff that they should have told you beforehand, but did not?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Pretty much. I mean, had I known what the special sessions were going to be and when before I asked for specific shifts, I would have offered to work after con hours. I didn't ask to work after con hours because they told us if we did that we would 'miss out' on SV exclusive opportunities. They didn't say that some opportunities were going to be during possible shift times nor what exclusive opportunities were going to be on thursday. And most of the exclusive opportunities on Thursday are not really things I'm interested in.

So yeah. They should have told us the special things before they asked us what shifts we wanted. And shift swapping is going terrible right now (cause it opened today) so im going to go calm my nerves by eating dinner and then assassinating people like i did yesterday and hope that someone offers to swap with me.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:45 pm

Not much I can say but good luck again...but I do have some news that might make you feel a little better. Maybe not, but I started working on the chapters again. I should have the next chapter up tonight maybe, or the next day at latest. Unless something crazy happens.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 pm

I SAW IT! Will read it as soon as I post in the other threads.

And I feel like a drug lord or something while trying to swap my schedules. It's come to where I'm offering to swap two shifts at the same time so that both parties are happy.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next