Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Games

3 posters

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Video Games - Page 5 Empty Re: Video Games

Post  Loyal Subject Fri May 06, 2011 8:21 pm

yeah no, he's not the original creator.

im just curious why he thinks the way he does and it felt weird that he stated such an opinion but didn't back it up with reasoning lol XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 pm

Is he still alive? You should ask him lol.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri May 06, 2011 8:40 pm

i should!

i dont know if he's alive though. i just did a wiki search and they dont have him in the records.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Shanghai Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 pm

This thread is now about Nippon Ichi.

It's funny, because the last time I was on here (~2 years ago), I was a huge Nippon Ichi fan. Obsessions typically don't last that long.

But, yeah.

NIS is the company behind Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, and Phantom Brave.

I just got Phantom Brave, and it's a wonderful story, though the gameplay took some getting used to. It's an odd mix of turn-based tactics, a battle system that was initially designed for a grid, lots of circles, and temporary units.

I highly recommend it, if only because the story is... different.

Also, I recommend Disgaea, with the first entry in the series first.

And Recettear, but I've only played the demo. For several hours. And I don't normally play demos all the way through, but Recettear left me wanting much, much more.
Shanghai
Shanghai
Water Bender

Male Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I saw that game at a retail store, but wasn't sure what to make of it. I'll take your word for it and check it out. I'll probably rent it first.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shanghai Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 pm

After playing the more black comedy-oriented Disgaea, I was a bit iffy on Phantom Brave, admittedly.

I got over it. Marona, though she received bonus points for sharing the same voice actor as my favorite obnoxiously pacifistic angel from Disgaea, irked me at first. However, over time, she receives depth, and the player understands why she's such a friggin' Pollyanna.

The battles are fun, though, and with the fact that units only last so many turns per battle, there's a good bit of tactical thinking involved.

It's not for everyone, but, because I'm an N1 fan, I sat through it until I liked it, and I'm glad I did.

And there's a Monster Rights group called H.A.R.M. That alone should motivate you to buy it.
Shanghai
Shanghai
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 06, 2011 10:53 pm

The units only last so long? Do they just die randomly or something or is it that hard that people are always guaranteed to be slaughtered?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shanghai Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Huh? No, no...

See, the main character, Marona, has the ability to communicate with and summon spirits, which is why everyone is so terrified of her.

The characters are "confined" to various objects and scenery, which modifies their stats. Each character has a set number of actions that they can perform before being removed from battle.

For example, the mage can only act 3 times, the soldier can act 8, etc.

Of course, unlike other NIS games, each unit moves individually, so the mage is on the field for a lot longer than you'd think.

Also, it's a method of balancing and uniqueness, because you have to think about not only who to summon, but when.

The battles really aren't that hard, though. If I can get through the game, how hard can it be?
Shanghai
Shanghai
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Oh I see, that actually sounds pretty interesting. That game has been out for at least a year now if I remember. I'll have to check back at my Best Buy store, they had some old preowned games there, one of them being Phantom Brave.

Sort of reminds me of Fire Emblem and the difficulty of Final Fantasy Tactics. That game was really tough.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shanghai Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle, the PSP remake, has been out since... March? Don't know how long Phantom Brave has been out...
Shanghai
Shanghai
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat May 07, 2011 7:43 am

You're playing the PSP version? I didn't know that it was even out for that, but yeah the console title has been out for at least a year or more.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun May 08, 2011 5:47 pm

okay, i tried to send a pm and im guessing it didnt work so im sorry to break up this conversation temporarily.

here's the other draft i did for the contest :D

Epic Mickey: Return to the Wasteland
Shortly after his adventures in the Wasteland, Mickey Mouse cannot help but to feel unsatisfied at the fact that Oswald and all the other forgotten characters are still in the Wasteland without any hearts. Mickey employs the help of Professor Ludwig von Drake who manages to create an artificial heart prototype that will hopefully allow the citizens of the Wasteland to travel to Mouseton.
Using the little bit of the Blot inside him, Mickey travels back to the Wasteland. When Mickey arrives at Dark Beauty Castle, Oswald invites him to see the Mickeyjunk Mountain Clean-up Project where everything related to Mickey will once again be restored. Upon arriving, Mickey decides to show Oswald the heart he brought. Unfortunately, Oswald is angry and offended when he sees the heart: he would rather have no heart at all than a fake one. In his anger, Oswald throws the creation away. However, Chernabog, who was previously buried by the junk, awakens and steals the heart. Using the heart, he tries to get through the portal to Mousteon. However, it doesn’t work and Chernabog realizes a magical barrier Yen Sid created prevents him from moving from his current location. Because of this, Chernabog sends his minions of ghosts and demons after Mickey and Oswald.
Panicking, Mickey and Oswald flee to Mean Street. Seeing that the ghosts and demons are beginning to spread throughout the Wasteland, Oswald suggests the two visit Doctor Einmug in Tomorrow City. Along the way, Oswald blames Mickey for bringing the heart to the Wasteland in the first place while Mickey points out it was Oswald who threw the heart away. Unable to come to a resolution, the two run into Doctor Einmug who manages to deduce that the prototype heart is incomplete. In order for Chernabog to reach Mousteon, the heart requires an outlook of the future, the spirit of adventure, fear, a place to call home, and memories of the past. To stop Chernabog, Mickey and Oswald must collect the missing ingredients before his minions do and get the heart back from Chernabog.
Oswald suggests he and Mickey split up in search of the rest of ingredients Chernabog needs. Mickey stays in Tomorrow City to collect an outlook of the future while Oswald travels to Ostown to collect a place called home. Fighting against a robot-controlling ghost and Professor Ratigan, the two manage to successfully collect the ingredients. The two meet in Mean Street, eradicating any ghosts or demons that are tormenting the citizens, before separating once more: Mickey heads for Ventureland for the spirit of adventure while Oswald goes to Bog Easy for fear. There, they encounter villains such as the Horned King and the Headless Horseman. Again, Mickey and Oswald convene in Mean Street before preparing to head towards Mickeyjunk Mountain again where the last ingredient resides and Chernabog awaits.
When they arrive to Mickeyjunk Mountain, Mickey and Oswald manage to successfully collect Fantasia’s film reel. However, the ground begins to shake as flames emerge from crevices in the ground. Chernabog rises from his mountain and steals all the ingredients Mickey and Oswald have collected. Using all the ingredients, Chernabog transports to Mouseton. Mickey manages to jump onto Chernabog and is taken to Mousteon with him. When arriving in Mouseton, Mickey is forced to fight Chernabog alone.
Once Mickey manages to defeat Chernabog, Yen Sid arrives and forces Chernabog into a dormant state back in the Wasteland. Mickey sheepishly hands Yen Sid the heart. As Yen Sid prepares to close the portal separating Mouseton from the Wasteland, Mickey walks towards the portal and apologizes to Oswald. Oswald forgives Mickey and apologizes as well. Suddenly, Oswald’s chest begins to glow as a heart forms inside of him. Chests glow inside citizens across the Wasteland. Seeing that the characters are forming their own hearts, Yen Sid decides to leave the portal to the Wasteland opened, thereby connecting the two worlds forever.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun May 08, 2011 5:53 pm

I did get a mail alert, it just wasn't as noticeable as I thought it would be. I'll fix that later. (I just saw it now sorry)

Anyway this seems pretty similar to your first one, besides a few added parts. As I said before, it's great. I don't think there's much else you could do, but to strengthen how Chernabog gets around to stealing the stuff.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun May 08, 2011 5:54 pm

right.

that's weird because i checked my sentbox and it said nothing was sent. i dont get why though....
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun May 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Okay, I have a question:

do you think it would be better if Mickey and Oswald fight Chernabog on the mountain and lose? then, Chernabog steals the stuff from them after the defeat. Followed by Mickey following Chernabog to Mouseton for a re-match.

does that work better?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun May 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes that works pretty good, because now it makes sense as to how they lost their hearts.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun May 08, 2011 8:09 pm

right. okay then. do you think i should send you what i added or is that unnecessary?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

If you want to, you can post the part that you've edited. I don't mind reading it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun May 08, 2011 8:16 pm

When they arrive to Mickeyjunk Mountain, Mickey and Oswald manage to successfully collect Fantasia’s film reel. However, the ground begins to shake as flames emerge from crevices in the ground as Bald Mountain takes form. Chernabog rises from his mountain and Oswald and Mickey attempt to fight him. However, Chernabog manages to defeat both of them and steals the ingredients they collected. Using all the ingredients, Chernabog transports to Mouseton. Mickey manages to jump onto Chernabog and is taken to Mouseton with him. When arriving in Mouseton, Mickey is forced to fight Chernabog alone.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun May 08, 2011 8:23 pm

It all sounds good, but how is Mickey going to stand a chance against him? How does he manage or fight him? Not that that matters in your story, but I'm curious if you thought that over.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun May 08, 2011 8:34 pm

well, in the first game, you could defeat villains with either paint or thinner. if he used thinner, he'd probably have to thin chernabog's chest and then thin the heart so it's gone.

i have no idea how he would do it with paint though. probably paint his mouth shut or something. i was also thinking that maybe characters who are in Mouseton temporarily help doing various things to give Mickey an opening.

i should look up Fantasmic at Disneyland/world. in that show, im pretty show Chernabog makes an appearance and he defeats him. i think he uses a magic sword from the sword in the stone or something though.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon May 09, 2011 8:31 am

What about using thinner and paint? There are parts he can take away and parts he can add as to so that Chernabog becomes handcuffed on those parts.

Like using enough paint causes his mouth to become shut with a super industrial sized painted bandaid or blindfold for his eyes.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon May 09, 2011 10:23 am

yeah i was thinking something like that. where the paint you have to paint things shut or handcuff him or something. using paint in the game to beat a villain is a pain in the ass so it fits XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 am

I wouldn't know, because the only boss I fought in that game was a clock monster boss.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 am

well now you know :D

yeah, no seriously, the paint way is always supposed to be harder than the thinner way. so the choices are do you take the easy path but not necessarily the right path or do you take the harder path that is the right thing to do?

should i add how he defeats Chernabog in the essay?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next