Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apocalpalooza: The OOC

3 posters

Go down

Apocalpalooza: The OOC Empty Apocalpalooza: The OOC

Post  PurePlayer Co. Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:56 am

I saw talk of an apocalypse/zombie/something-like-that RP, so I figured I'd take some initiative and get an interest-checking thread started. If it catches wind, this'll be the OOC for the RP. Right, so ... this idea has been done to bits, and it's being done as we speak. I've seen it done many times. It always amounts to a virus, which was engineered by a corporation, and in the case of RPs, when you're able to play as "the infected", you'll find that half-zombie/semi-intelligent character. Deny it all you want, but we all know every zombie RP has a That Guy. Then helicopters come in, fill 'em up with lead and the protagonist walks off into the sunset with his love-interest.

Well not anymore! Man, I took the concept of a survival/apocalypse setting and reworked it in my mini-series "Hard Times".

1) - Notice the name is "Apocapalooza" and not just "Zombiepalooza". That's because any survival/disaster situation can, and will, create many more threats for people to face. Hurricane Katrina is a shining example. The main threats were food and water, yet violent crime was on the rise. Especially in the superdome. Look it up if you don't believe me. The name means that I'll be cooking up (and I want you to follow suit as well) other disaster situations. Take The Last of Us, for example. The infected (Cordyceps) fungi is no joke. Them things can see, hear, smell, run, and smack weapons out of your hands. They only get more formidable when they evolve. Clickers use echolocation to find your ass. Bloaters have armour plates that make them quite durable, in addition to being able to throw spores. Yet, you wanna know a secret? The developers have said that the biggest threats aren't the infected, but other people. Yeah!

Other human beings. The military. Hunters. Even survivors if they perceive you to be a threat. Everyone is a threat to each other. If you think that humans will be all "for the homo sapien!" post-disaster, you need to get an MRI scan of your brain and see what's going on up there. This isn't a rule. More of a guideline or spotlight. Often times, the situation itself is the focus, rather than the people just as intelligent, just as armed and just as willing to survive as you are. Think about that in this RP!

2) - If and when the RP gets to zombie/infections, I'm doing away with the walker-retard zombie. I don't know about you, but even my dumbass has enough sense to get the fuck away from anything looking like that limping towards me. How entire military bases are taken out by these things I'll never know. Sure, they can sneak up on you if underestimated, and 1 man vs 100 zombies is sure to lose as he likely doesn't have the ammunition to (re)kill 'em all, but I'm tired of this "2 retarded zombies! Run like they're actually able to catch us!" ****. Kill the ones you can and calmly move at an appropriate speed to separate yourselves from this. All this Walking Dead huff-puff **** is old. As much as I love Resident Evil, I gotta admit that it's a hell-no formula. Except not really, as the animals are the real threats (and Crimson Heads in REmake).

3) - For this RP, I don't want just one type of zombie/infection. I'm putting it all in there! Cordyceps from The Last of Us. Infected from, uh, Left 4 Dead (even the Horde-level zombies run and ****, rather quickly too!). Even still-living creatures like the vampire-men from I Am Legend (that's what they are; read the novel) and the rabid people from 28 Days/Weeks Later. Then there are the ones from Dawn of the Dead. In addition, I also encourage y'all to come up with your own ****. I've never really liked being the sole god of an RP. I felt too powerful that way because my word was law.

I'll think of more as we go on, but for now I want some input. What do y'all think? Don't be shy!

4)
5)
6)
7)
PurePlayer Co.
PurePlayer Co.
Non-Bender

Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Apocalpalooza: The OOC Empty Re: Apocalpalooza: The OOC

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:55 pm

I think instead of just taking everything from every apocalyptic movie, we should come up with our own apocalypse. It might get too congested with a hodge podge of things that can kill you. more disasters can occur along the way as a result of the initial set up but i don't think we should just throw everything in.

so like, for example, it could start off as a zombie apocalypse but then because we no longer have any resources, a storm of some sort occurs and we have no way of detecting it, let alone protecting ourselves. something where other disasters occur because of our lack of resources.

thats just my opinion though.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Sounds interesting. It kind of reminds me of a game I used to play a lot called Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic that happened from a full out nuclear war from several fronts.

In the game you had to survive in the wastelands, avoiding mutated creatures, radiation, as well unaffected hostile humans to name a few.

I do agree if we try cramming too much different things in, where it might get ridiculous. Like what's going to stop someone from inserting monkey zombies that come out of nowhere? Then we're threatened with a mutated tyrannosaurus rex, but not before the aliens visit us. It sounds cool though, in theory.

Oh my god, this connection is atrocious. It's been dropping constantly for these two posts. I was going to get onto the other RPs, but this is ridiculous. It's already lost what I wrote several times. Hopefully tomorrow's connection will be better. Then we'll get the RPs on a roll.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Post  PurePlayer Co. Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:20 am

I've played a bit of Fallout. Interesting game. I'm waiting until I build a new system to buy it for computer. Plan on getting F3 and New Vegas. But anyway ...

Given that it's only us three active and RPing (and that you seem to have average intelligence/writing capabilities), I doubt it's going to get silly. I do want to keep things within scientific reason or possibility, so aliens are a no-go. That sounds like a separate RP. Speaking of that, I need to get the post for my second idea up. Back on-topic.

I actually don't want to have the walker zombies in this, because they aren't as threatening. They walk slowly and into traps. If you get got by one it's because you drastically underestimated them (to the point of making yourself an easier target than they are) or you were just lazy. Instead, I was going for a more The Last of Us approach to start out with. They aren't zombies, and that's an actual virus that affects insects. It could have potential to affect humans someday. Personally, I'd prefer to start out with something that puts humans against humans, like a collapse of a system or a war.

I also want there to be some kind of system in place for our characters to collect supplies and all that. Something to bring about a game-y aspect into the RP. Y'all are better writers than I am, so no doubt you'll think of something. Especially given the talk of this idea in the sticky thread.

EDIT: Loyal Subject, I noticed you had concerns about the volume of disasters our characters would be dealing with. I might not have specified in the original post, but I was going to go for something that gradually increased the heat as we went on. There isn't as much fun in an RP if everything is thrown in at once. On top of that, development and resolution are difficult. The TL; DR of it is: We agree. Start off with one or two, then throw more **** in there.
PurePlayer Co.
PurePlayer Co.
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Apocalpalooza: The OOC Empty How about a litte island with your survival?

Post  PurePlayer Co. Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:00 am

I'm not sure if any of you have played Survival Kids or the more recent Lost in Blue games before (probably not). I've decided that our first RP adventure here should be simple, yet inclusive. So I got the bright idea of an island survival RP. I know you guys would feel insulted if you didn't have challenges, and I went ahead and prepared some. But first, the backdrop (with extra melodrama!)

The year is 1999. The Cold War has been over for more than a decade and for the first time in nearly half a century, the world is free from the spectre of nuclear apocalypse. But no one cares about that! Certainly not the passengers and crew of the Oasis, a top-of-the-line luxury cruise that sails to every corner of the globe! Owned by the French entertainment conglomerate Monde Sans Frontieres Inc, the Oasis is the first of many Habitat-Class ocean liners that are making a big splash in the seafaring tourism industry, with the commercial airline industry feeling the hurt as would-be customers flock to these floating cities for cheaper, roomier, luxury-(er?) travel.

Currently the biggest ocean liner in the water, it boasts a passenger capacity of 6000, and a crew capacity of 2000. It has dozens of back-up generators, a captain's deck on every floor (including the grand captain's bridge on the very top floor), twenty radar systems, and even a flight deck!

MSF, the company that built this leviathan, in celebration of their newly-designed ship, offered 4500 guests from mid-to-low income or otherwise disadvantageous families the trip of the decade. Free, first-class, round-trip touring with free room service! My my, how expensive, yes?! Qui!

Jubilee abounds as the port in Miami, Florida vibrates with activities. You are one of many passengers being squished and jostled about, or causing mischief at the port. Before you get buckwild, you'll need to check in with the Port Authority of Miami-Dade. Can't have any trouble-makers on board now!

Character Sheet:

I said you could skip the personality and history because the former is fluid and will change if the writer is putting any effort at all into their character. A cardboard cut out is never fun to play, and I know that grueling task is like every time I come to it when I RP, so I wouldn't do the same to y'all. The history is there for intrigue and character development. Why give it all away before we even get down to business? Tease your fellow RPers a little. Leave them wanting more. Leave them wanting their characters to interact with yours to bring their life story forth!

I'm being liberal on age because ocean liners have people of all ages from various walks of life on a single vessel. Though the preferred range is 7-16, if you can create a good reason for a character younger or older than that, it's fair-game. This is a team effort. If you're not having fun, you won't participate. I don't like running RPs to start with for similar reasons so . . . don't feel afraid to think outside of the box for this one.

I'm sure you'll chime in with your ideas. The theme here is an island shipwreck survival RP. For the sake of familiarity but creativity, we can use real-world locations as a backdrop, but the island and everything related to it will be original designs (names, appearances, etc). Like in real life, there will be phases of day (morning, noontime, evening and night). There will be animals -- both friendly and hostile. Maybe even other people? The island will be full of mystery, and it'll be up to our characters to solve the mystery whilst living long enough to get home.
PurePlayer Co.
PurePlayer Co.
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 pm

I will get to this eventually, I swear! I've just been super busy.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  PurePlayer Co. Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:37 am

Loyal Subject wrote:I will get to this eventually, I swear! I've just been super busy.
LOL. I get that. I'm busy as well. Why do you think I've been posting my ideas rather than sitting on them until we all find free time? Because we'd ALL be waiting until next year! Personally, I think we'd have the most fun with The Final Frontier: NVNG because of its open-endedness. It's located here, just in case you didn't know it was posted already.

Believe me though; no rush. I keep saying this but it doesn't seem you all read the part where I say we're all busy. So, take your time and post when you can. Same goes for Lee. I'll do the same. Hopefully we all get free time to become post monsters for a while, but if not, that's fine. That's life. Real life > e-life all the time, EVERY time.
PurePlayer Co.
PurePlayer Co.
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum