Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yellow

3 posters

Go down

Yellow Empty Yellow

Post  charlaine2124 Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:58 am

So... Hi... I got into ATLA about a year and half ago when a friend of mine told me t watch the series so he could gripe about how bad the film is... since then I have watched the series countless times, have read an insane amount of fanfiction and begun to write several of my own (but only actually published one...)

I'm 19 and applying to University. I live in Bath in the UK and have a huge internet obsession, of which Avatar fanon makes up only a small part. I love internet communities, and I have loved what I've seen of this one so far, and want to get more involved than just finding zutara fanart on deviantart... (much as that amuses me)

I'm a flexible shipper, except when it comes to Kataang, if only because my friend and I most closely equate it to me going out with her little brother *shudder* Aang is too twelve, and Katara is too not fourteen (she is clearly 16. At least) Also, Zutara just Pwns all other ships. Jussayin.

That was me saying Hi. Hope everyone is having a lovely day. :D
charlaine2124
charlaine2124
Non-Bender

Female Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Yellow Empty Re: Yellow

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:30 am

Welcome aboard Charlaine! It's always great to meet another Avatar fan.

While I don't think the movie was horrendous, I don't think it was great either. I suppose it was mediocre at best. Although it's great that you took the time to go to the original source, to see where the movie spawned from.

I have loved what I've seen of this one so far
Thanks! It's good to know that the site layout is aesthetically appeasing to others. With a certain someone, it was hard to tell if she was the only one who liked it :P

So where did you upload your fanfiction? Is it on DeviantArt? Other then that, welcome aboard! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Yellow Empty Fanfiction...

Post  charlaine2124 Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 am

I've uploaded on fanfiction.net (under the same username, because it is my username for LITERALLY EVERYTHING) and I really need to update it... sadly I have a plot bunny for a new AU FF, and it refuses to leave me alone until I write it down... curse of a writer...

And while I do like the look of the site, that wasn't really what I meant ;) I meant that what I have experienced of the group of fans that surrounds ATLA is great.

Still loveing the look of the site though, don't get me wrong. It's my favourite type of blue (#waterbenderatheart)

And the film... I haven't actually watched it because my friend spent about a week solid complaining about how bad it was. I watched the whole 3 seasons in a weekend, then he described all the things the film-makers had done wrong and I was really put off. I'm renting it (it is out on DVD right?) for an Avatar themed Party I'm having this Friday (I have wonderful friends), so I reserve judgement until then. I have a feeling I will be quoting Sukka in 'Ember Island Players' on this one though... "Horrible, but the effects were decent."
charlaine2124
charlaine2124
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 am

The movie had some good parts to it, but some equally or worst parts to it.

My favorite will always be when Sokka is talking to Katara in their tent at the beginning. Appa growls really loud in the background and I thought it was some irritated pig animal, who Night thought was just as important as to what Sokka had to say.

I'm not sure you want to have a party for the movie though, unless your friends know and just want to make fun of it. Most people I know truly hate the movie with a burning passion.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  charlaine2124 Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:39 am

Knowing my friends, the entertainment will be in flaming it collectively. And explaining what is going on to the few non-avatar watchers among us. And having shipping wars (the facebook post where we argued about which couple got to go as Zutara was 500 comments long.) I was going to have a party anyway, and seeing as how none of us had actually seen the film, and were just biased against it on account of the whole internet agreeing on it's awfulness, we though that our prejudice should at least be informed. There may also be Pai Sho...
charlaine2124
charlaine2124
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 am

You should also make some sea pruned stew. I read a tiny of your FF account (got to go to work soon), you have a nice writing style.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  charlaine2124 Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 am

Well, I do sometimes pretentiously call myself a writer (I've got actual novel projects too) so I'd hope by now I have a decent writing style. Thanks ;)
charlaine2124
charlaine2124
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:49 am

Yeah I read that in your bio, about the NaNo writings, I've heard about that from a friend. I've never joined it myself, good job! Would be interested in also reading your Non-Avatar related stories.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  charlaine2124 Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

Maybe one day...
charlaine2124
charlaine2124
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:05 am

Oh, well you don't have to if you're uncomfortable or don't want to. Don't feel forced with anything I said.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  charlaine2124 Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 am

That was more of a wistful thing. I'd love to publish properly, so I'm saving my Pure-Fiction novels for the day when they might be in a state that I could send them to a publisher. Fanfiction is actually really helping me get better at what I call my 'real' writing, as I don't have to stress so much about imagining a complex character from scratch. That's what I love about ALTA... the characters are all so complex, that once you get under their skin, the words just fly off your fingers. They are a credit to their creators.
charlaine2124
charlaine2124
Non-Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 pm

That is true, about their complexity. There's not many shows nowadays with such development. It sort of reminds me of a game I once played called Tales of Symphonia (really loved that game, worth a try for anyone.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm

I love how I have a high school esque schedule now and I still miss **** that happens here.

1. Welcome to the forum :D Fair warning, Im slightly obsessed with UK programming at the moment so ignore me if I sound retarded to you as I obsess over Torchwood, Doctor Who, Sherlock, etc.

2. Glad I'm not the only one that likes the blues.

3. I personally found TLA to be horrendous to the point where it is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. At least Plan 9 from Outer Space is funny. This thing of a movie was just boring and I caution you if you're going to show it to a party. It's not necessarily one of those 'so bad it's fun to make of' movies. It's kind of boring.

4. I support Kataang....and that's all I'm going to say.

5. I hate pears. Writing = yay.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:05 pm

I love how I have a high school esque schedule now and I still miss **** that happens here.
Same thoughts, just love how you stick true to your title. We need a nickname for you. LS LateShow :P
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm always fashionably late to these kinds of things :p

LateShow works for me XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 pm

It's not necessarily one of those 'so bad it's fun to make of' movies. It's kind of boring.

I don't know about that, there were a few instances which I found really funny. Like the amount of people it took to move one rock and the way they moved.

It looked like they were in some kind of choreography dance video. So I laughed at that, it was funny. I suppose because I didn't take it as seriously as other highstrung fans (that it was butchering the series) I was able to enjoy the funny moments.

Or the close up zoom of Iroh. I thought they were going to poke out his eyes.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:25 pm

^ omg those two moments were hilarious. with the earthbending one, i felt really embarrassed but i laughed about it afterwards. the iroh zoom: totally almost laughed my ass off. it was so stupid.

what i mean is, while there are funny moments, i find it to be one of those movies that is easier to make fun of after you've watched it as opposed to while you're watching it. and it definitely doesnt have that 'so bad its good' charm to it.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 pm

It did to me, most fans just can't let go and see the movie as its own stupidly funny film. Just ask Hitler (youtube Hitler finds out no one like Last Airbender)
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 pm

What I mean is, with a movie like Batman and Robin: yes, its stupid, yes its a disgrace to batman, yes its a bad film. But there are so many things to make of in that movie that are actually funny while you're watching the movie.

With TLA, I didn't get that impression. there are too many parts that are just flat out boring where you can't really make fun of it and are just forced to watch it. Because believe me, after I saw the movie and talked about how stupid and funny it was, I went back and tried to watch it and make fun of it while I was watching it. And I didn't get very far. maybe ten minutes in before I was bored and I turned it off.

for me it was just one of those movies. its not so much that i couldnt let go, it was just...boring.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 am

But that movie is so old. There are movies I really liked that if I watch now I'd be thinking why did I watch this. The reason I did was because I was younger with different tastes.

I watched all of the live action TMNT and I liked them.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 am

So? Give it a few years and maybe TLA will have that 'old' charm to it. But for now, it doesnt.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 am

No I meant that I liked the TMNT movies when I was a kid, but if I was to go back and look at them now (I'd probably wonder what I liked about it) Mainly because my taste has changed since then.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum