Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4th wall? what's that?

3 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

4th wall? what's that? - Page 29 Empty Re: 4th wall? what's that?

Post  Lee Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:15 pm

I made a typo. The game is Phantasy Star Zero, not Universe (that's the PSP and PS2 series)

Anyway, I did try to find something, even a picture at least, but nothing. She's not a main, in fact she's only a minor for a few sidequests, but she totally reminds me of Ai.

She's the youngest of the three cake sisters. A running tradition of every phantasy star game. Sort of like how Cid is with Final Fantasy. They bake cakes, even in the remotest of places.

I think their first appearance was in Phantasy Star Online, though I could be wrong. In that game they made cakes in the wilderness because fats and sugary goods were outlawed by healthy nut laws. The other games they're just in if for the sake of it.

She's the youngest of the bunch and often goes around chasing her dreamer. In one quest you have to go find and rescue her because she wandered off too far into a dangerous wilderness area. Though she doesn't go with you until she's almost killed by abdominal snow gorilla like things.

Then she goes all oogly eyes for your character, for being her 'knight in shining armor' saying something along the lines of Although we may be far apart, they will beat as one. Or something like that.

Then when you think well she'll stay out of trouble now...nope she goes and chases something else, completely forgetting about her 'knight in shining armor'...which is why she reminds me of Ai. Not only that though, it's her mannerism and the way she talks, or at least it's portrayed in the dialogue.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 pm

^ XD lol
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Her name is Naura, one of the cake sisters.

If you have a DS I think you would really like Phantasy Star Zero. What's really cool is that every Phantasy Star game relates to each other in some different way.

The one that relates to Phantasy Star Zero the most is Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2. Though you probably wouldn't understand the relation early in the game.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:07 pm

^ i have a list of games i need to play. Phantasy Star is on the list. whether or not i play them is another story. im burned out from KH at the moment and I didnt even beat the secret bosses yet XD.

here's my list so far:

Epic Mickey
Zelda Ocarina of Time <= I will play this damn thing eventually
FF VII
Fire Emblem
Persona 3
Phantasy Star
Heart no Kuni no Alice
Kingdom Hearts Coded

...there's more but I dont remember them. I also still have to beat FFX. though ive almost given up on that game because now I realize how crappy it was and my favorite character dies before the final boss anyway.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 pm

You don't really need to play Phantasy Star Online (PSO) to understand Phantasy Star Zero (PSZ)

Although I started off with PSO. I was just browsing some games on a shelf years ago, I think it was in 2003. Time sure does fly by sometimes. Anyway it caught my attention, the box art that is. I once saw the same game in an old magazine at my middle school.

It was a remake of a dreamcast game, which was PSO 1 and 2, which was fused into one game. So that was sort of a win win situation.

4th wall? what's that? - Page 29 Phantasy-Star-Online-Episode-1-2_CUbe_USboxart_160w

That's the box art. I'm a sucker for interesting art work, even if the game sucks. Though PSO turned out to be one of my most favorite games, both online and offline.

So after playing the game and it's confusing and inconclusive story (It's not like bad, but mysterious and you wonder what actually happened) Things start to make a lot more sense with PSZ.

It was totally different than the way the magazine explained it years ago (way before 2003) Kinda was sorry I just ignored it because I thought it wasn't going to be my cup of tea. Though it was really interesting. PSO was also the birth of online games. Maybe that was just for console gaming, I don't know, but they're always praised for it.

I played some different online games before. They're usually kill this guy, capture the flag than blow up this guy, or lacks good communication for either opponents or allies like in World of Warcraft, which seemed to distance the players from one anotehr because it was so difficult to communicate properly.

(I never really played that game, but my cousin once forced me to try it out before. Never really got into it.)

With Phantasy Star games the communication was awesome and the gameplay even online was fun. Even though there were only four different level/world types, it still remained fun. And a lot of people who played it even if only a little said the same thing. So despite Sega's many shortcomings, they actually pulled of something good for once. And being the first and most successful online game is nothing to sneeze about.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:36 pm

^ there's a PSP version of the game right?

now that im 2 for 2 on PSP games that ive beaten, I want to get more PSP games...also cause I want to feel like I didnt waste money buying a PSP.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:42 pm

It doesn't really explain what happened, but it gives more insight. Like PSO 1 is about how a series of worlds have waged war onto each other for a long time. Eventually the worlds become ruined and desolate. (Think WallE but not because of trash)

Immediately after a ship labeled Pioneer 1 (It's like a huge colony ship) takes all it's best engineers, military, and scientist to go into space. One of their satellites finds a far away planet with life on it. They go there to start colonizing parts of it for the other refugees who will come some years later.

Pioneer 2 than embarks on it's journey to the planet called Ragol. They eventually make it years later with the rest of the refugees or those who boarded it. Your main character is on board P2. When it reaches the planet, you realize that Pioneer 1 is no where to be found.

There are all sorts of man made machines, buildings, and other things, but no human life anywhere. Confused P2's government hires your main to uncover the mystery. Sort of like a police detective military story, but less civilized. You never do figure out what happened to the people on board P1.

PSZ takes place centuries later? I really don't know. Anyway it's about the people who didn't leave the planet.

And PSO is the sequel to Phantasy Star 4 (PS4) which was for the old sega system. I won't get in too much detail, but PS4 sheds even more light as to why P1 might've disappeared.

^ there's a PSP version of the game right?
Yes and no. They don't really relate to each other in too many ways. It gets confusing...it's like an alternate universe which is still affected by each other.

Anyway there are two games, Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2.

Both which are sequels to Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Universe Ambitons of the Illumioso or PSU and PSUAOI.

I doubt you'll play PSU or PSUAOI so I'll explain the story, unless you don't want me to.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm

im really confused now. XD

so dont get PSP version get DS version.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 pm

No no no...that's not what I'm saying at all.

Let me give you a quick run down so that the PSP versions would seem understandable.

So first off refer to this list...
PSU = Phantasy Star Universe
PSUAOI = Phantasy Star Universe Ambitions of the Illuminos
PSP = Phantasy Star Portable
PSP2 = Phantasy Star Portable 2

They are all sequels to the one above them, except for PSU which has no solid prequel.

PSU

Ok now onto the story. PSU starts it off. There's this stuff called Seed. It's a new breed of mutated life, which is foreign to all the planets. There are three planets and a space colony.

The seed comes from space, far away. No one knows from where, but they do. Later it's learned that they're attracted to photons, which is what most of the technology uses in that time.

So you're this new recruit Ethan Waber, who joins Guardians. They control the space colony and oversee all the three planets. They're sort of the police. (Along with the AMF and Communion of Gurhal) < Not important for now. They're just like the forces of two of the other planets.

As time goes on you learn about the photon technology being the source of the seeds hunger and wherever they show up sure enough the tech is. You also learn that despite what civilization thinks, photons is a lost technology.

A scientist Ethan accompanies on a mission is some old ruins learns the grim news. Which means the Seed came before and screwed over the ancient civilization. If photons continue to be used than they'll suffer the same fate.

However dropping technology off the bat is nearly impossible to do because everything from computers and colonies use it to function.

A guard known as the Endrum Remanants, a bunch of rogue Casts (robots) stand in the way of the cause with their leader Magashi. He enforces photon use and plays the corrupt government, dirtying things wherever he goes.

Eventually the first installment ends with Magashi being killed, ending the Endrum Remanants fearful reign. Also a satellite colony becomes infested and controlled by the Seed virus. It covers the entire thing in it's like gunk...and is on a crash course into one of the planets or the colony I forget.

Anyway Ethan saves his friends who were held hostage there before the AMF destroys the satellite. Also the last boss is Dark Falz, he's a reoccurring enemy in every PS game...and not like a trivial one. He's like this dark entity that's there and everywhere at the same time...think Samurai Jack, but worst than him.

That ends PSU, to which the next installment occurs I think 6 months after.

PSUAOI

This game no longer focuses on Ethan Waber. You get to create your own character, of any race, gender, and skill. You can be a robot healing mage if you wanted to, but it's difficult for Casts to learn magic techniques.

Anyway this game focuses on your character and Laia the daughter of the President of the Guardians. Ever since the purification of the Seed from the close universe things have started to dwindle down.

Everything is calm until you show up of course. You realize the seed is far from eradicated. In fact after much uncovering it's revealed that some well known companies have hidden mutated seed creatures and have been running tests on them. For weapon and clone reasons.

It later turns out those companies are branches of the Endrum Remanant and that Magashi is far from dead. It later turns out he's just been cloned by his dead forefather thousands of times. Each time one dies another activates.

One planet becomes diseased riddened, the casts go haywire, and the colony separates and crashes into a planet causing catastrophic damage. All in all all the bad things are the Endrum Remanant (Or as they call themselves Illumios) doing.

Eventually they're taken care of, the seed is eradicated again, and things go back to normal.

PSP2
PSP2 focuses more on the Endrum Remanant and Ancients who were attacked by seed. It takes place three years after the events of PSUAOI.

You get to create your own character again.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:23 pm

finally managed to read this.

okay, i think i get it....XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:26 pm

You might like PSZ more, the main character of PSP2 is really whiny. She gets better over time, but the main for PSZ is more likable. At least I thought so.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 pm

What system is PSZ on?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm

The DS, and with this game depending on what race you choose (there are only three) you get different scenes and plots. They all follow the main plot, but branch to different areas.

I've really only done humans though so far, there's elves (Nemans) and Robots (Casts) You should start off with human first since they're the most balanced.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:37 pm

oh sweet.

i might just abandon the psp when it comes to this game.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I was reading some of the old stories, like Ai's journey...

And I really want to meet Zito! He's so cool!

Anyone who doesn't mind high risk trading, lives the fun life!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:19 pm

yeah I wanted to give Zito a 'cool' flaw so I figured he'd partake in high risk trading. especially all the cool stuff he gets out of it.

It's like antique shopping only I don't know where the stuff comes from.

Pssh and I let someone who steals from people watch over Ai...no wonder she doesn't have her priorities strait.

Like you could do a better job.

And she gets that from you anyway.

Totally.

=O Everyone is against me now!
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Don't worry, she's in good hands now.

We'll make a pirate out her yet!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm

WHAT?!

I wish I got to be a pirate....

Me too....I mean, a Hollywood pirate anyway.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh...sorry. A Fire Nation Pirate!

She'll be swashbuckling before you know it!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Oh, well then that's okay.

That's really shallow considering you kind of sort of married someone from the Earth Kingdom. Just saying.

Who knew Kazuya was racist.

T_T
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Who's ol' boldy over there?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm

You're not important enough to remember.

Hey shut up! I am so important!

That's Zano. I didn't know what color to use.

You can only use red for so many people
Sad
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Oh, what happened to your pink text?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Pinks not manly.

He forgot he used pink.

And my wife is using it now.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Zano was just showing his feminine side Lee.

His what?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next