Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Avatar Graphic Novels - Page 3 Empty Re: Avatar Graphic Novels

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 pm

i think im still going to borrow it from the library when it comes in so i can re-read it.

either that or ill wait until they all come out and then borrow them all and read them one right after the other.

or ill do both XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:30 pm

They are going to lose so much money on this because of the leaks.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 pm

not necessarily.

this just goes into the whole debate about internet piracy. yes, it's wrong to steal but just because someone is watching something illegally online doesn't necessarily mean that person would buy the product in a store if there was no piracy. there's no way to prove that the majority of people who download something illegally would have bought it if it wasn't for free. unless you did a study or something.

and that would be interesting. like i said, i think a majority of the Avatar population just from what ive read are going to buy the book or obtain it legally even though they read it online but only read it just to know what happens and spoil themselves. but again, there's no way to prove that.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

The only way we'll know for sure is to see how well it sells or the sells it makes. Though I don't know how they would make money off of it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

you wont even know for sure with that information. because that information just tells you who's buying it not who's buying it and also saw the leaks. and it also doesnt tell you who saw the leaks and therefore didnt buy it.

you also dont know how many of the Avatar fandom even knows about the comic. its not like TLA where that thing was on tv with commercials for younger fans. i havent seen any ads for younger kids wanting to read the comic. like, i honestly dont even know how younger fans or not so serious fans would even know about this.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 pm

No I meant if it makes good sales at all. Because if the sales suck, one of the leading factors could possibly be the leaks.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:19 pm

but you still wouldnt have any proof of that. it could also be the fact that the comic hasn't been advertised well and only the 'die hard' fans know about it.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:38 am

Well if it doesn't sell well, I'll blame the leakers :P The date it comes out for Amazon is February 7th. I'll buy it to read it, (it's cheap as it is) but also to support the Avatar crew, which others should be doing.

Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

This has been bugging me for a while so I thought I'd share lol.

Whenever I type in "Avatar the Last Airbender" in my library's catalog, the first thing that appears is Avatar the Last Airbender the Lost Adventures.

But the library doesn't have the Lost Adventures...yet it's in their catalog XD. I have a feeling they're going to be getting it though...cause why else would it be in the catalog...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Oh well, *Reads the book while LS is left in the dark* Oh Combustion man on a train, fun times!

Oh I kind of forgot to mention this, but I bought the first part of the novel...like weeks ago heh.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:19 pm

you mean the promise? when you feel better, tell me what you think so i can rant about it :p

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:24 am

Yeah I kept forgetting or something. I don't know what actually lol. I read it a while before to.

I mostly liked the cameo appearances like the Freedom Fighters. Although I knew that before I went into the book because someone didn't that that was a spoiler and told me. I never thought Sneers would come back though, he was the most unused of the lot, he even spoke.

I was kind of hoping The Duke and Pipsqueak would be in there with them, but oh well. Hopefully they'll show up somewhere. They were always my favorite minor characters.

I mean an eight year old going into battle, Day of Black Sun, that's pretty gutsy.

Unfortunately I also knew why it was titled The Promise, because the same dork thought it wasn't much of a spoiler. Really? Stop doing crack. That is a bit more dark then I originally thought though.

I also like how there's not so much black and white depictions now. It reminds me of how America tried to restore itself after the Civil War. It was really ugly. I'm surprise we haven't seen any overzealous Fire Nation loyalists though. (As in ones still raising arms) You can't expect to have a 100 year war and not to have a few army factions like that.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:24 pm

The actual promise is what annoys me the most. not the fact that its dark but i personally think that overall promise kind of puts a lot of characters back at square one rather than furthering their development.

i want to see a Rebel Army.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Yeah right, and not just one that will be snuffed out easily, but someone who will be a force to be reckoned with.

For the amount of ranting you implied you wanted to do, you seem to have a rather lacking post :P
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:45 pm

i know because im busy paying attention to this movie.

okay, this is my issue: the characters are making the same damn mistakes they made and got passed in the series. let's take Zuko first because he is one of the biggest dumbasses in this comic:

Zuko spent the entire third season getting over his father and realizing that his father didnt love him and that the only person who really cared about him is Iroh. Yet, he goes to his dad for advice. im not going to rant too much on this because we dont know what will happen in part 2. but...really? after all this character development, THAT'S who you go to? @_@

I also dont like the fact that Aang is so set on killing Zuko if Zuko goes to the dark side. i mean, he spent the entire third season trying to find a way not to kill Ozai, but he'll kill Zuko if he has to. and why? because Zuko told him to. and then he listens to Roku who also tells him thats okay. Roku is also the one who told him to kill Ozai. so again...why are you completely listening to Roku when you questioned his judgement in the final part of the show?

I mean, the whole thing with the ending was that Aang found his own way to stand by his beliefs of not killing anyone. Because that's who he is. He's the avatar but he's a pacifist. he found a way to stand by what he believed in. and here, at a time when he shouldn't even be encouraging Zuko's ideas (because you know, once Zuko has the idea in his head, it can easily get to him. he had it set in his head that regaining his honor would happen if he caught the Avatar for instance) he's doing the exact opposite: he's ENCOURAGING Zuko to think that way by agreeing.

And it's not just this: it's Aang's reluctance of Yu Dao that's kind of a problem too. I get that there is a problem with Yu Dao but the fact that Aang, of all people, is against the nations intermingling. I mean, at the end of season 2, he had to open the chakra that allowed him to see that everyone was the same, they arent as separate as its made out to be. he's been friends with people from the watertribe and earth kingdom. yet, he still wants to separate everyone...i mean...

like i said, i just feel like this comic is forcing characters back to square one rather than them moving forward.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:53 pm

LS the comic is taking on a more darker and political approach then the show ever did. Aang is an isolationist, he always will be. All the monks are, otherwise they wouldn't go climb a mountain to be away from all other worldly possessions and people.

Politics are also not black and white, which is what this comic does well for both sides, the Fire Nation and all the others (mostly just Earth Kingdom)

I don't think Zuko trusts his dad so much as he knows that he's been the leader and he wants to know how he made it work. I forget the span of his reign (the exact years) but apparently he's done something right if there weren't too many problems (Zuko's thoughts)

Iroh is wise, but he was never a leader. Sure he was a leader in the military, but you can't compare that to leading a nation. Telling soldiers what to do to do the job right and not get as killed is easier then trying to find the best solutions that will make everyone happy during a prosperous, peaceful, and or war time.

Iroh is also laid back and might not know exactly what to say, so he would just shoot out his famous proverbs, which is what Zuko doesn't want. He wants real solid facts.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't mind the fact that the politics aren't just black and white. I think its fine that Yu Dao is a grey area. I just don't think it makes sense for Aang to be an isolationist when he's dating a girl from the water tribe and has traveled the world and met all the people that he has met.

Not that I want to bring Doctor Who into this but Im totally going to do that because i dont know how else to explain this. at one point the Doctor says that he offers everyone (i.e. his companions) all of time and space and that once they're offered that, it changes them and they never want to leave. the characters that travel with the Doctor change, they change forever because of their experiences. traveling around the world and spending time with different cultures in the way that Aang has changes people and should therefore change Aang and his perception of the world around him.

again, im not saying Aang has to be completely for Yu Dao but he should at least be questioning the movement, the idea that everyone is going to be separated again. instead, he's willing to kill Zuko for not agreeing with him and even though Zuko says they need to talk, he doesn't want to talk right away. he only does because of Katara. he just assumes that Zuko has gone bad. and that's not like Aang. Aang is optimistic, he seems to see the good in a lot of people. i would think he wouldn't assume the worst with his friend.

and with Iroh, Iroh grew up knowing/thinking that he was going to rule the country one day. he was raised with that mentality. therefore, he should have a pretty decent sense as to what needs to be done or what should be done. i dont mind if Zuko goes to Ozai but he should go to Ozai as a last option. it doesnt make sense for him to go to Ozai first since their relationship is completely in shambles.

i just think this story needed to be more fleshed out. it feels rushed and because of that, characters seem to be doing really stupid things. again, take Zuko. instead of just telling Aang or summoning the Avatar saying 'listen we need to talk, i dont think Yu Dao should be destroyed' he just locks everyone out and Aang finds out the hard way. its almost like characters are causing problems and mis-information over stupid actions. i mean, they could have easily had another war on their hands.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:25 pm

The way you rant on things a lot, it makes it seem like you don't like a lot of stuff. Anyway didn't they say that because Aang has so many past lives that they sometimes take over his conscious/conscience?

Just because someone has been raised doesn't mean much. The world needs experience. Why do you think so many people were opposed to Obama? I mean there were a lot of reasons, but one was being less experienced then McCain. He doesn't have many happy followers now, but that's for a whole different topic.

Anyway just because someone is raised, doesn't always mean they were the most fit.

its almost like characters are causing problems and mis-information over stupid actions. i mean, they could have easily had another war on their hands.
Are you implying that humans are such logical beings all the time? :P Did you know we almost had another war with Britain because a pig was shot? What stupidity right? We're humans after all.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Listen, just because I rant about things, doesn't mean I don't like it. Like I said, I'm not going to fully judge the comics until the rest of it comes out. I'm just saying these are the issues that I have with it as of right now.

I wasn't opposed to Obama and I still like him. But regardless, Obama and Iroh are in completely different situations. Obama wasn't raised from day one to be president. Iroh was raised from an early age to be a future ruler. It's like the Lion King: Simba was raised from the beginning to be a ruler and was expected to be ruler.

In fact, the whole Iroh Ozai thing is a lot like the Lion King. Ozai is Scar who cheats his way to the throne and look at the mess he made with the world and the war (not that this was completely his fault but you get what I mean). Iroh was raised from the beginning and shuns his responsibilities. So, if you want to go by that logic, Iroh has better judgement than Ozai does :p

But seriously, it's different if you were raised to do something as opposed to just coming out of no where and trying to rule. Just as Zuko was raised to be a future ruler.

as for Aang and his conscious/unconscious connection to his past lives, then why don't they make that the conflict? like, have it where Aang doesn't know if the nation's should be separate but his past lives keep telling him it has to be so. i wouldnt mind this but i want to see some sort of conflict instead of Aang just going with the idea without any real reasoning behind it. Aang is the peacemaker, he's the pacifist. i feel like it should be EK vs. FN and Aang doesn't know what to do because he can see both sides of the argument. he's supposed to be the wise one who has all his chakras opened. i mean, he's also the one who saw Fire Nation culture and Earth Kingdom culture. he's also the one that points out to Zuko 'we defeated the FIRE LORD together' when Zuko says 'when you defeated the Fire Nation people.' he's quick to point out he didnt defeat the people, he defeated the Fire Lord.

I'm not implying people are never stupid. But, if the characters are all going to do really stupid things, the point of view should indicate that the way they are handling the situation is kind of stupid. So far, the p.o.v seems to be neutral and its making it seem as though the characters are doing everything they can to ensure peace. when they're not: they're making stupid mistakes and fail to communicate with one another. this should be made more clear. otherwise, it seems as though im supposed to believe that the way the characters are handling the situation is okay given the circumstances. and it's not. like i said, it just feels like the plot is rushed.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:53 pm

When those the second book come out? Did they say anything about that yet? I don't dislike the book as much as you do, I actually think it turned out well on its own.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

it comes out in June or something.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 am

That's not too far away...lol.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 am

it kind of is. but...yeah...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 am

I thought it was March, that's what Amazon says I think.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:11 am

Publication Date: June 12, 2012

says Amazon.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject