Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATLA COMICS

2 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ATLA COMICS - Page 3 Empty Re: ATLA COMICS

Post  Lee Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Or have them go on some kind of school field trip, with a picnic and school bus ride or whatever.

Anyway did you happen to read the MarySue comic in the Lost Adventures? I really liked that one, it's a total jab at MarySue's, even if it doesn't blatantly say so. Especially the last line, that is golden to what MarySue RolePlayers do.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 pm

I read all the comics. But I dont know which one you're referring to. I dont remember the titles to any of them.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 pm

It's like one of the last ones, where the group are looking for a fourth member, so a bunch of MarySue like characters come in to try to fill that position.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 pm

oh yeah that one.

that wasnt supposed to be targeted towards mary sues though. that was a comic for a contest where kids had to send in their idea of of a bender and the winners got to be featured in a comic.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 am

I know, but the last line seemed to be implying something of that line.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm

oh well, yeah, i guess it could be that.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 pm

It's what I took from it anyway, because they all seemed borderline sue, except for the cookie dough bender.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm

i feel like the cookie dough bender was just as much of a sue as the others.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm

A useless one maybe. The kid would need to whip up a batch wherever he went.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Okay, so I read the Promise Part 2 and rather than waiting for you to read it, I'm just going to write all my feelings now so I don't forget it. And then you can read this when you're done reading the Promise Part 2.

I think I will go through the Promise Part 1 when it comes in from the library. Yeah, it'll be out of order but whatever...

Promise Part 2:

For the record, I think some of the dialogue is Out of Character. This is an overall issue though and I thought it was a problem in Part 1 as well. But, I'll consider this a minor issue only because I know I'm personally not the best at dialogue. But it's still an issue.

So it starts off with Aang and Katara being all cutesy together and Sokka want's to get away from them. Which I think makes sense but for some reason I don't think it really makes sense if the comic is taking place a year in to Aang and Katara's relationship. Like, is it just me or should they have been doing this months ago and should now be passed the 'Honeymoon' phase of their relationship? I don't know, can't really say but there's something about it that's just a bit weird. But I'll let this slide. I've got some bigger fish to fry.

We get a better introduction of Toph's students. On one hand, I think these are decent characters. On the other, I feel as though their flaws are being used way to much to create comic relief. Like, okay I can only find the fact that one is constantly saying Doom, the other loves shoes, and the third one is an emo as funny so many times. Seriously, it's like the writer expects me to find this funny EVERY TIME. It's not. It gets boring.

I think the little girl that has a crush on Sokka is kind of cute. What I don't think is cute is the fact that Sokka was kind of hitting on her in the beginning. It's not the fact that she was 9 that upsets me (because he didn't know) but why is he flirting with a girl when he has a girlfriend? Suki, remember her? Really, I know Sokka's a lady's man and all but you would think by this point he would be a bit more...i dont know faithful? But again, maybe this is just me.

But here's where we get to my first problem: Toph metalbends the fire nation teacher's headband WITHOUT TOUCHING THE METAL! Okay, I could be wrong on this but wasn't it pretty much confirmed that Toph needs to TOUCH the metal before bending it? Like, she can't bend it from a distance. Again, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not....and if I'm not, all I can say is BULLSHIT! Do your damn research before you write these kinds of things. It's one thing if this is fanfiction, this is CANON! You can't just make **** up and pretend everyone is okay with it. But again, I could be wrong...

Anyway, so there ends up being a challenge between the earthbending kids and the firebending kids. At first, the firebenders are totally okay with fighting to the death (because kids obviously think fighting to the death is the only way to settle a fight) before Sokka convinces them otherwise. I mean, really, I hope I don't have to explain my issue with this.

So Aang and Katara end up in Ba Sing Se and are going to see Iroh. FINALLY WE GET TO SEE IROH. This man needs to get in this comic.

But no, instead, we get Aang and Katara going to an Avatar Aang fanclub where the fangirls sound like complete morons and wear a picture of Aang's face on their shirts. *FACEPALM*. Okay seriously, I don't know if I should call this bad writing, if I should be slightly offended by this, or what. It's just stupid. So obviously right off the bat Katara is insanely jealous. Which, okay, I can understand. But then we get this little bit: one of the fangirls says 'First girlfriend' and then gives a look implying 'I am totally going to steal your man'. Again, *FACEPALM*. Now I'm offended as a fangirl. Just because we fantasize about being with our 'man' does NOT mean we want to steal him from another girl! I mean, jesus we're not idiots, we understand that our odds of getting with him in the first place is slim to none. @_@ So ANYWAY, they end up going to the clubhouse that's supposed to look like the Western Air Temple and yada yada yada I'm getting bored with this subplot already. You'd think they'd be doing something more important like, I don't know, GOING TO THE EARTH KING?!

So now we get Zuko who has decided to take another field trip to his father's cell. Right. Because that worked SO WELL the last time. And Ozai decides it's time to share a family story about vacations on Ember Island. Aw. Oh look and there's Ursa in one panel. I'm pretty sure that's all we'll see of her. Ozai tells this story about Zuko and how when he was little he tried to rescue a turtle crab from a hawk...and Ozai tells Zuko that when Zuko looked at the hawk, he realized that he was condemning the hawk to starve and therefore wasn't sure what to do with the turtle crab: save it or let the hawk have it? Omg are you serious? First of all, I seriously doubt a three year old is making these kinds of decisions at this age. In fact, some three year olds are still unaware that they're even alive at this point. They don't understand survival of the fittest, the circle of life, etc. They're 3! And, not only that, since when is one turtle crab going to condemn a hawk to starvation? It's not like the hawk can't go down the beach and pick up another one @_@ But no, instead, this is somehow a metaphor for how Zuko can't make decisions as a three year old and can't decide to defend the weak or the strong.

Again, WHY THE HELL ARE WE ASKING THIS MAN FOR ADVICE? Please, someone explain this to me. Ugh and I'm not even done with this damn scene.

So then, Ozai says a wave swept Zuko up and he went to save him. Oh, congratulation Ozai. Father of the year award for you. Yeah, who gives a **** if you burned your kid's face off, exiled him, and then tried to commit genocide. Because you saved your son ONE TIME I'm supposed to think 'oh you're not such a bad guy after all'. Yeah, okay. Keep trying cause you're first attempt just failed miserably. And I really get what the author is trying to do: that he's trying to give more layers to Ozai instead of being a one-dimensional villain. But, really, if you're going to sacrifice a lot of common sense for the sake of developing one character, I would just leave him be and write something that makes sense. Because so far, this is just...I don't even know what this is.

Zuko asks 'why the hell are you telling me this' (really, I'd like the answer to this too), Ozai tells him to leave and then Zuko listens to him. Yeah, that worked real well. Clearly, going to your father who is clearly screwing with you LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES was a great idea.

Anyway, Toph and Sokka's quest continues as they try to get the kids to metalbend. Honestly, other than the over-used jokes about their personalities, I'm really not bothered by this bit. Yeah, it technically doesn't need to be there because it doesn't move the main plot forward but it's decent. Though, I still wish they had spent more time then on the main plot because it seriously needs attention. Really, it's just not making sense.

And again, the kids are trying to metalbend without touching the metal....yeah I already stated my potential problems with this.

Okay so we get back to Aang. Aang is impressing the fangirls while Katara mopes in a corner. Again, hasn't their relationship already gone through this phase? Oh right, the Kyoshi Island episode in season one. Literally, this is the exact same plotline as that episode. So again, WHY do we need this? And, at least in Kyoshi Island, Aang was trying to include Katara and Katara just blatantly refused. Here, he's ignoring her. WTF. That is so out of character. Aang LOVES Katara, why would he suddenly be ignoring her? Again, he also lets the attention get to his head but he's always included Katara. ALWAYS. No, let's just let Katara mope in the corner.

So Aang gets a flute and starts playing it and Katara finally decides 'hey, maybe we should go see the earth king'. You know, the guy we came here to see to prevent A WAR from happening? My god, if I was in the Avatar world and I knew that there was a potential war about to happen and that the people in charge of preventing this war were playing with flutes instead of negotiating, I'm not going to lie, I would be pissed.

But now we get to one of my favorite parts of this comic: as they're leaving Aang suddenly says 'thanks for letting me stay there because being with those crazy fangirls reminded me of home.' OMG. WTF. How in god's name does spending time with a bunch of fangirls in a building that kind of sort of looks like an air temple and then playing a flute REMIND YOU OF HOME?! HOW!? Explain this to me. Because I'm pretty sure spending time with fangirls while playing a flute for five minutes is nothing like the flashbacks we got of the Air Temples. I could be wrong though @_@.

And of course, Katara feels guilty because 'aw she ruined and was jealous of his 'home' time'. Katara, I don't like you in the series, but my god you have every right to be pissed and get him the hell out of there. Because seriously. Also, if they call each other sweetie one more time, I think I'm going to throw something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YEWYpxfTY <= This is how it is done. I will accept no other way.

Oh god another tea session with Ozai. There's nothing really to mention other than Zuko is saying 'I know what you were trying to say before and I'm doing what I should be doing yet I still can't sleep'. Well, at least the therapy sessions got you somewhere Zuko. So then Ozai says that Zuko is wrong and that whatever he does is right because he's firelord. Zuko and Ozai argue over this and we FINALLY come to something that I actually agree with and that makes sense. Zuko puts his faith in higher powers and lacks the confidence in himself as a leader. FINALLY. Finally we get something that deals with Zuko's emotions and that makes sense. Praise the lord. It only took us a volume and a half to get this point. And Zuko acknowledges that he and Aang are friends and that's why he TRUSTS him. Gee, if only Aang had the same sentiment.

Ozai also mentions that the Earth King is going to go against Zuko and won't agree to the meeting Aang and Katara are currently setting up which is part of the reason why the previous argument happens. Zuko and Ozai fight yet again to the point where Ozai yells at Zuko to leave. And Zuko does. Suki sees Zuko leave. Yeah, that's totally not going to bite him in the ass later.

So Sokka and Toph get attention again. And again, I see no issue with this. I mean, yeah it's not the greatest thing I've ever read. But it's certainly better than the issues I have with the other parts of the story.

Then we get Kori. Remember Kori? The assassin from volume one that seemed to merely be a plot device? So, Kori's training with her cousins in case she has to defend Yu Dao. Because she did so well against Zuko, I'm sure handling a potential army will go over great with a few more people involved. And then we get this: this thing that I don't even know what to deal with. Apparently, Kori is in a relationship with Sneers. Sneers. Remember him? Good, cause I don't. He's a freedom fighter. And it turns out he was involved with the riots in front of the city. Naturally, Kori is pissed because her boyfriend was essentially supporting Yu Dao to be evacuated. And, Kori actually brings up another good point: why does she have to choose between the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation? Why can't she have both because she is both?

GREAT POINT! If only this was developed more. Seriously, that's all we get: is her shouting at Sneers, telling him she's an earthbender and a Fire Nation citizen and that Yu Dao is her home. And that's her choice. It's not really brought up...again.

And then Katara and Aang go to the Earth King. And, they try to convince him of the meeting. And, again, Aang is saying 'oh I'm sure we can convince Zuko to listen to us' while Katara is saying 'but Zuko has legitimate reasons to worry so we all need to talk this over'. You know, maybe instead of going to the fangirl club, you could have talked about what the hell you were going to say BEFORE you went to the Earth King. Because clearly, if you two are already in opposition without talking it over, how the hell is the Earth King supposed to be 'oh okay let's all talk this over?' THE AVATAR JUST SAID HE DIDN'T AGREE WITH ZUKO. So, what's the point of this meeting? To maybe see if Zuko will listen? Not to mention, that means Aang doesn't trust Zuko's judgement at all because in the last volume, he said he would talk to the Earth King so they could all talk this over like Katara said. So basically, that means Aang was 'playing' Zuko and had no intention of agreeing with him or even hearing him out. My god wtf is written all over this crap. I mean...seriously? That is so out of character I don't even know how to deal with it. Look, I get how you wouldn't want to trust Zuko's judgement considering the dumbass decisions he's made so far but to not even consider listening to him is just...ugh it's just not Aang!

Back to Toph and Sokka. Thank god. The only thing I didn't like about this bit was the Dark One's name. It was...kind of lame. Like, it wasn't even funny, it was just dumb. But I'll get over it.

So the earth king is like 'im going to be a man and fight Zuko' jesus christ. I give up with this comic. And for once, Aang and Katara are in character and say something to the effect of 'wtf is wrong with you'. Yeah, really, WTF. Okay, this war has been going on for 100 years. You'd think EVERYONE would be in a 'we don't want another war' mindset. Instead, everyone is just DYING to fight again. This is so out of character! Not only out of character, it just doesn't make sense! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay so now we got back to Toph and Sokka again. thankfully. And their bit pretty much finishes up. and it's good. no complaints really.

oh god we're back to Zuko. so, Mai finds out that Zuko's been having field trips to Ozais and decides to dump him. I kid you not. *sigh* how many times are these two going to break up? seriously. they broke up twice in season three and now they've broken up again. i get that maybe Mai is trying to whip Zuko's ass in gear by making him realize what's important but...this is just getting so old between the two. i mean...really. can we get something a bit less cliche? of course, Zuko's an idiot and orders Mai to come back. Lol, good one Zuko. Suki comes in and it turns out she was the one that told Mai. Yeah, totally knew that was going to bite him in the ass later.

A random general named Mak (i kid you not, that is his name) comes in and tells Zuko that the spies he sent out confirmed the Earth King is heading to Yu Dao with an army. Suki is like 'omg how could you send spies?!' even though she was just caught spying on Zuko....awkward....

and so the two groups are heading to Yu Dao to fight with Aang and Katara rushing to hopefully bring peace between the two. I can only think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YEWYpxfTY <= and even though this clip is Disney, it is by no means a compliment.

THE END.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Not reading any of this until I read the comic. Sorry, but it will be probably around this week. I just ordered a book and a few other things off of Amazon. Anyway just wanted to say that I'm sorry for being so inactive.

Work was really keeping me busy. I'd finish one job and come home and then someone would ring me to help them out right after. It was getting to be too much, to where when I finally had free time I just went straight to bed.

I have free time now and I put my foot down.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:10 pm

^ Yeah, I had a feeling you wouldn't read this until after you got your hands on it. I just wanted to get all my thoughts down because last time I said I would wait and then I forgot half the stuff I wanted to say.

The good news is is that after reading the Promise Part 1 again, I do not dislike it as much as I did the first time. But I'm not sure if this is because of what happened in Part 2 or not....

It's fine about being inactive. So long as you weren't blown away by a tornado, we're good :p

And no, I didn't hear on the news that there were bad tornadoes down south and then thought you were in the middle of a storm or anything...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Haha gee thanks. Yeah the tornado hit around where I live. But my house wasn't hit fortunately. There is a lot of damage and roofs missing.

No I was outside yesterday when it was pouring and the tornado was howling, working on the farm...
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Well, that's good about your house.

It's not so good that you were outside in the middle of the storm. So, in a way, my worrying was completely justified :p

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Well either way, you're a great internet pal :P
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 pm

i know.

lol thanks. :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 am

Alright I read the book now, and I do like it. You nitpick on the most trivial things. Call me an idiot for liking it, I don't care.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:12 pm

I don't think people who like it are idiots....I just don't like it. And so long as I'm not the only one who doesn't like it, I'm okay with that :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 pm

LS is about to read the Promise Part 3. I am going to post all my reactions as I read it. Which means 1. these will be the most intense feelings and therefore after I process it my opinion is subject to change 2. This is going to be a long post containing spoilers obviously.

Okay, here we go.

-I've got no real comment on the beginning. I mean, it just tackles all the issues that I dislike about the Promise. However, I do think it is tackling such issues effectively. But I still don't like the idea of Ozai 'taking control' of Zuko. Like seriously...this conflict needs to stop.

-The kid that wants to save Yu Dao for the guy who sells him mochi has the right priorities.

-I love how Aang absolutely loved the stupid fangirls in Ba Sing Se and yet he meets decent fans who actually have an interest in Air Nomad Culture and he totally freaks out on them. Seriously Aang, remember how in the series you were always such a good listener and was willing to listen to the other side of the story before you judged? I think you should go back to that. It would be a good idea for everyone's sake.

-Hey Smellerbee, remember back in the series when you didn't care that Iroh and Zuko 'might' have been firebenders and just wanted to go on with your life? I think you should go back to that too. I mean....really wtf this is so out of character. You'd think she'd be done with fighting after what happened with Jet.

-OMFG. You know....I just....ugh. I HATE the fact that these rebels are actually willing to fight against the Avatar. It's just....DID THEY LEARN NOTHING FROM THE SERIES?! You don't F**** with the Avatar.

-Hey Toph, remember in the series when you were the only one of the gaang that opened up to Zuko? REMEMBER THAT?! This might come as a shock but I THINK YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO THAT!

-You know Aang, maybe you should listen and try to talk before you ask other people to do it. JUST SAYING.

-And so, as the Promise 3 is starting to conclude, Aang does WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE F*CKING DONE A LONG TIME AGO! But no, let's go meditate and actually THINK while people are killing each other. Because, gee, that's a great plan. Only...ONLY TO HAVE HIM COME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION HE DID IN THE SERIES!!!!! UGH THIS MAKES NO SENSE!

-I will say though, I love the fact that everyone is so surprised that Sneers and Kori are dating. Not going to lie, that's really funny XD.

-I don't get why Katara's so shocked that Kuei never bothered to go to Yu Dao...I mean....Jesus Katara you were there when he said he never left the palace a year ago. @_@

-OMG THANK YOU IROH! JUST THANK YOU! Finally SOMEONE IN THIS F*CKING COMIC AGREES WITH ME!

-Wait....wait a minute. Here I was going to praise this little section. And then this crap happens. Let me get this straight: after having an entire episode devoted to flashbacks and having half an episode dedicated to Zuko dreaming about his mother, HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE? How in the HELL does that make any damn sense? I mean, I could understand if we just got the flashbacks and then it's like this is what we're seeing and not Zuko but.....HE DREAMED ABOUT HER IN THE SECOND SEASON. I mean....it's not like it was a blur or anything...and Zuko was like 10 when she left...how ....

moving on.

-I've got nothing else. The ending was nice. Let's just hope the Search isn't as much of a disappointment as this comic was.....for me anyway....
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 am

For the record, I saw this, but I don't want to read any of it until I read the comic myself. I think I'm getting it for my birthday, so that's still a ways off.

Also recently I found out that (I think Dark Horse made these comics?) They also made a series for FallOut. The game about the post nuclear apocalyptic wasteland. Anyway it was set as a prequel following the antagonists travels, where they would finally reach their desired destination, and where the actual game picks up.

I just read this up in a FallOut Wikia site, didn't read the comic myself, but apparently it was riffed with inconsistencies. Maybe they do it to a lot of series? Not that I really see many inconsistencies in The Promise and if I did there weren't too many where I took too much notice to.

I just thought I'd share that with you, because of your deep dislike of the series. And FOR THE RECORD, I haven't read the book yet, so don't leave spoilers in your next posts.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Yeah, I figured you hadn't read it yet.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 pm

I just wanted to throw that out there.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm not going to talk about it anymore. But I do know now that it's a good excuse not to work on my promise ff as i wait for you to get it and read it :p

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I thought you were about to say that you're not finishing the promise ff because you didn't like the series.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:58 pm

no. that would just mean that everything i wrote was a waste of time.

please. in reality, i just don't have the time to work on it. that with the Korra one. Actually, the Korra one I'm debating on whether I should end it now or let the story go through all of season one's events. im still deciding.

but either way, i just don't have the time/energy to work on it. that and the Promise did screw some things up for me....so...yeah.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum