The Happy Holidays!

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Happy Holidays!

Post  Lee on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Yes I said holidays, which can be any holiday you celebrate. I figured I'd post this and see who responds.

Anyways, how is your winter holiday going so far and how are you going to celebrate the actual holiday? Are you going away? Meeting up with family somewhere? Or are you just going to sit in the lazy boy chair, eating pork rinds and shouting bah-humbug!

I guess I'll start. Now that the last two weeks of finals are at a closing and I'm finished I feel about ten times more relieved lol! Boy those two weeks were really hectic. I stayed up until the sun rose many a nights to finish projects and studying. It was great when it was all finished, I slept mighty great!

Hopefully during next week before Christmas I can get to Gettysburg for the holidays just to see it. It looks pretty neat during that time of the year. I'll probably see my family at someones house and get free food, you can't beat free food!
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18348

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Happy Holidays!

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:39 pm

i still have school T_T

though I had a snow day today ^^

my family always comes over for Christmas Eve. and that's pretty much it.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16979

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:09 pm

I had a snow day today too. But my last day of school isn't until Tuesday. And my birthday is the 24th. Very Happy
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 pm

lol wow one day before Christmas! I'd hate to be one of those people who have their birthday on Christmas. You would seem kinda gypped.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:18 am

^ That is true, Christmas time is always so busy. The one good thing about it though is that I never have school on my birthday.
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:27 am

That is true, that is true. Mines in October, in the middle of the College fall semesters. So I haven't really been able to celebrate or enjoy my birthday in about two years I think. Though I do stop to eat cake during it at least. Though its' right around the time I have mid-terms.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:31 pm

mines in early march. and this year, it lands on a Monday.
well, at least that Monday won't suck as much as Mondays usually do...
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Happy holidays to everyone!
How long will you all be on holiday for? I had my last final exam last wednesday, so I've been off since then, until the Jan 3rd, when I'll start work again for Co-op.
Speaking of birthdays... mine's in the middle of February, right before the winter semester mid-term exams :'''''( Although this year it's going to be falling on the weekend of our new public holiday: Family Day! Which also happens to be in the middle of the university study leave. And unfortunately, it's only an Ontario holiday, which means that I'll still have to go to work on that day, since I work in Quebec. How sad - I live in Ontario, work in Quebec, and so I miss half the fun work-free holidays!
lol!

(btw, Lee, I totally sympathize with you about the stress of finals - same thing happened to me this semester - I had 15 page essays due on the same days as some of my exams!)
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Oh yeah I know how that goes I live about an hour to two hours away from my school depending on the traffic. Usually if I leave early I can get there with minimal back up. Though leaving too late in the morning is a bad mistake, sometimes I had to when I had to finish some things at home. Basically 7-8 am is the best to leave any time later is a mistake lol. Plus it's easier to find parking when you leave early.

I haven't had school canceled yet, but I hear they are bad at canceling even in the worst of weather. Basically they had like 70 accidents in the campus once before deciding to cancel lol. Though we don't have any holidays that only reach certain spots and not the others. Except for the opening of deer season which gives Pennsylvania the first day off to go hunting!

As for exams I didn't have any 15 page essays to do, I had one six page essay and another 11 page essay but that was about it. Those were the non-major courses. For my animation courses I had to basically draw countless sheets of paper to make an animation, that's very time consuming. I also had a digital course animation to complete, and that program was being a real stickler.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:08 am

Hahaha - you have me wondering how far south of the border you live! Your experiences with the weather (70 accidents on campus???) sound like something that would typically happen in a completely unprepared city like Vancouver, where it rarely ever snows! Unfortunatly, where I am, come rain, or sun, or hail, or a blizzard or even -40 degree Celcius conditions, you still have to go to work/university. The only people who have classes cancelled are the high school and elementary kids :( We'd only get a day/class off if the prof decides not to come to class, and that usually happens at the last minute, so we end up being in class anyways.

Luckily, we were only hit with one snowstorm during the exams this semester - the second, big storm hit us yesterday - it's the one which is somehow connected to the miracle of snow falling in California, apparently. The airports got shut down, and some cities, like Toronto, were hit with about 30-40 cm of snow!!! I think my city got about the same amount too. They were saying on the radio this morning that this year is probably going to be a white christmas for the entire country, something which hasn't happened since 1971! How cool is that???

What made exams really crappy this semester was that our public bus service has been completely shutdown for almost 2 weeks now cuz the employees are on strike against the municipal government. I live about 20 min away from my university, and there's only one car (my dad's), and I don't have a proper license anyways, so I wouldn't be able to borrow/rent a car, and taxis are freaking expensive :'''''( The strike has cause a huge headache for the entire city - everyone is pissed off, and traffic is even worse than usual because there are more people on the roads than normal, and drivers are even more aggressive, so things really suck if you're an innocent bystander surrounded by other angry pedestrians, and angry drivers! But the City and the Union are now talking with each other, finally, so hopefully the buses will be back on the roads again by the end of the week (**fingers crossed!!!!**). For some reason, we also seem to be having a shortage of snow plows, so even though the roads are plowed nice and clean, there's still snow and ice on the sidewalks - after my last exam, as I was happily walking down the street to my dad's work, I slipped on some packed snow and ice, and fell - and it hurt. :(

That's my holiday sob story - LOL! On the bright side, my best friend is coming down from Montreal to visit me over New Year's, so we're going to go clubbing, and tomorrow I'm going to start baking a bunch of different things to give to all my friends as christmas gifts for this year =] Plus, I found my guitar tuner, so I'm all set to get back into training myself to play, and my brain is brimming with story ideas, so I'm going to get writing again too! Hoorayyy!!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 am

Well I've come to realize that the people that live in the areas around the campus aren't the best drivers. Heck they can't even use roundabouts right. You go right around the circle until you come to your exit, not left you fools! So it doesn't surprise me that they got so many accidents, if they have poor sense and driving skills.

Where I'm from it's usually the middle of winter where the snow actually comes. Like end December until March. It isn't any below temperature.....well actually it is it gets to 0 and some of the low single digits but that's about as far as it will get. I think there were a few times it went into the double digits of below freezing. It still is cold when working outside though. Then the Summers are around 90's to 80's, with humidity which takes it to 100 on occasions. Basically I'm from Maryland, it's considered border line, some claim it south others claim it north, but it's borderline. It's the one place you can live and be called a southerner/redneck by the north and a yankee by the south. The truth is they just can't seem to take it that we whipped them good during the Civil War. I know that's where all the hate originated.

I've never been in below 40 weather except for that one time in this really cold freezer, I don't think it was exactly 40, but it had several fans on so it felt like an arctic chill. Then there were the times we would reenact during the cold months. Our means of shelter are canvas tents, and canvas is an absorbent, if it's hot outside it's like an oven inside. If it's cold outside it's cold inside. It's basically an absorbing box, though thankfully it repels water. There is one reenactment area in Virginia, that's south, we reenact and camp out in the valley. It's a mountainous area where we are it's like a dip. So when the sun shines over it gets hot, but when it leaves, the minute it leaves basically you can feel it cool down quickly. Our water supply froze overnight. We spent the first hour using our fire to thaw and melt our drinking water lol! Such hell to go through just for a cup of water.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:46 am

You're LUCKY!!! You don't have to bundle up so much during the wintertime where you are!

-40 degrees is when water freezes instantly. Your skin freezes almost instantly. It's the kind of weather where the government will send out public advisories saying "if you don't have to go out, and you can work from home, DON'T leave your house!!!"

If you do happen to need to be outside during such weather, you have make sure as much of yourself as possible is covered and protected. You need to be wearing 3 layers of clothes under your heaviest winter coat (which itself will be made up of 2 layers), 2 pairs of socks in your warmest winter boots, your thickest scarf wrapped tightly around your neck and covering your mouth, 2 pairs of gloves (or better yet, fleece gloves under thick woolen mittens with hand-warmers inside), a warm touque (or maybe 2) covering your head, ears and the back of your neck, with the hood of your coat up. And even with all those layers and protection, you shouldn't be outside for more than about 15 minutes because the cold will seep through almost immediately. At -40, people's iPods don't work properly, let alone the fact that it will take a while for your car to unfreeze itself enough to be driven. It's the kind of weather where you can get very severe frostbite in a matter of seconds if you're not properly covered up.

True -40 is actually kinda rare down where I am - you can definitely feel -40 conditions, but more often than not, those are caused by a combination of low temperatures, high humidity, and fast winds. You usually look at the windchill temperature before going outside rather than looking at the thermometer reading. E.g. On Sunday, during the big snowstorm (#2), the actual temperature was -14.6 around midday, but there was an east wind of 37km/h blowing, so with that, what you actually felt when you went outside was -27 degree weather on top of the heavy/blowing snow. I went out for a walk this afternoon and it was -6 on the thermometer, but the windchill made it -11. It's really awful! -10 is enough to make your ears freeze, and hurt a LOT, if you're not wearing a touque or ear-mufflers. My iPod headphones freeze up between -5 to -10 degrees. And last week, as I walked the 30minutes it takes to get to my dad's work from my university, it was around -10 (actual temp) and my hot chocolate, which was still warm when I left, was cold with pieces of ice in it by the time I got to my destination! Lol!

Thankfully, I'm just in Eastern Ontario. The few people living up in the Yukon/Northwest Territories/Northern Quebec/Nunavut experiece "true" -40 degree weather. The wind there would make it feel like it was -50 or something!

And we have to go through 4-5 months (in Ontario) of this kind of weather - snowstorms, freezing rain, random warm spells and flash freezes which make everything icy, crisp-clear sunny days which make it even colder, and darkness which starts at 4:00 p.m. That's when the sun sets right now - by midwinter, darkness will fall at around 3:30, and the sun will rise again at around 7:30. Most of the time, the skies are covered with clouds, and that's a good thing. The winter sun offers no warmth at all because it's furthest away from the surface of the earth during the winter, whatever tiny bits of heat are being generated into the air all escape through the sky, so it get really cold. But atleast we have daylight - way up north they have a couple months of total darkness. Think Alaska, the North Pole, Midnight Sun and Aurora Borealis! I swear Santa and his elves are Canadians (Inuit)!! Hahaha!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:18 am

^ WOW! I've been to Ontario before, but it was in the summer. Canada sounds absolutely miserable in the winter! Surprised
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:20 am

Yeah like I said the weather only gets in the single below freezing digits. Though people still dress warm for the weather.

I've never been in below 40 weather, and I think I would be really cold in that. Mostly cause it never gets even close to that temperature. I work on the farm and sometimes construction outside during below, 0, and single digit temperatures and it gets pretty cold after being out their for hours, so I can only imagine what working outside in below 40 is like.

I once slept in a wind chill, 20 some degree, rain storm in a Civil War reenactment. Sleeping in a wet canvas tent which was having the rain freeze to the ground. I think that was my worst reenactment experience. Feeling the cold, then the wetness and having it freeze everywhere as you hear the wind pick up. Those times the wind is so strong that it keeps ripping open the tent flaps every second after you tie it, so you just let it go and hide under wet frozen blankets to avoid the wind......blah........

That was the same reenactment where our water supply froze and had to thaw it for cooking and drinking.

One of our guys muskets had water enter it, and it froze inside. He couldn't figure out why the breach was clogged up.

Then this one guy stayed in a portable toilet a mile away from the area cause he said it was warmer. I wonder if it was just as warm when the wind knocked it over when he was in it. Surprised

That was the worst weather I was in before, for a long extended period. Still not anywhere near as bad as below forty, though rain sucks, especially in the cold.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Yeah I can imagine having an awful time camping during cold rainy weather like that :S
btw, the temperatures I'm giving are all in Celcius/Centigrade - I don't know what the equivalents would be in Fahrenheit, which is what you guys in the US would be using......... anyways - if you were a farmer here, you wouldn't be working at all if it got to -30 or below conditions. All the animals would be tucked in snugly in their barns, and you'd be curled up with your family in front of the fire at home. Lol!

Haru, I thought you were also from Canada??? I guess I was mistaken there.....?

But yeah, winter in Canada is really harsh. Canada = Land of the Extremes. Even summers can sometimes be really harsh (depending on which part of the country you're in) - but not most of the time, of course! Although, it's not uncommon in Alberta for there to be snowfall in the middle of the summer. It's VERY random, but they'll be enjoying typical hot summer weather, and then wake up one morning to find a layer of snow and ice over everything. It's really funny sometimes watching people on TV, in their shorts and flip-flops, cold lemonades in hand, shovelling snow off the roads and roofs. Lol! I think it happens because Alberta is flat open prarie-land, sitting right next to the Rockies, so a snow storm on the mountains will come dump snow in the hot prairies even in the middle of the summer. Also, I've heard that, although summer in the northern Territories would usually feel like spring-time everywhere else, mid-summer is really really hot, since that's when the sun is the closest to the earth.

But the extreme weather of the northern, eastern and maritime parts of the country is one of the biggest reasons why way fewer settlers stayed in Canada instead of high-tailiing it down to the States or back home in the 1700-1800s.
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Well it's getting close to that time! I hope you all are having a swell Christmas Eve and have a Merry Christmas!

And a Happy Holidays to all those other loyal members who's holidays may have passed, are happening now, or in the near future!

Yeah they ended up canceling the reenactment after a roll call. Realzing that we had such short numbers of men on both sides who toughed out the weather we ended up packing up after the first battle. It was an interesting battle, but I was ready to get dry and warm after waking up with ice chunks all over my uniform I was sleeping in lol. The summers can get pretty brutal around here to since I'm closer to the south. Usually in the high 90's low 100's, and we wear wool during those reenactments. Most call us nuts for doing that in the heat of the summer.

Had one person come up to us and ask us something along the lines of "How do you people march in that clothes?" Our Captain replied "Oh it's easy, sometimes we go forward, sometimes backwards, and usually on occasion we will side step."

You're pretty tough enduring weather like below 40. I'm not used to that weather I would be freezing my butt off to the maximum.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Uruviel wrote:Haru, I thought you were also from Canada??? I guess I was mistaken there.....?

Although, it's not uncommon in Alberta for there to be snowfall in the middle of the summer. It's VERY random, but they'll be enjoying typical hot summer weather, and then wake up one morning to find a layer of snow and ice over everything. It's really funny sometimes watching people on TV, in their shorts and flip-flops, cold lemonades in hand, shovelling snow off the roads and roofs. Lol!

Lol! Nope, I'm from Connecticut, which is in New England (in the US).

Wow, that's wild! I went to Ontario in June, and the weather was perfect! Canada is awesome, but I guess the weather can be too extreme at times.

PS: Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!! Happy
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:54 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARUWOLF
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Oh right Happy Birthday! I hope you have a swell B-day as well! Eat lots of cake!
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Happy Birthday Haru!

And Happy Holidays to everyone else as well Very Happy I'll toast with some hot apple cider for everyone here!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Aww, thank you guys! Wink
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:44 am

You're welcome! So how was your birthday? What did you do?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:22 am

My birthday was great, thanks! I had a lot of cake! Yum! I hope that everyone had a very Merry Christmas! Very Happy
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:07 am

Happy Holidays! Hope you have a great Christmas! And New Years to!
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm

whoo!
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16979

View user profile

Back to top Go down