Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The end of the world!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The end of the world! Empty The end of the world!

Post  Lee Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:16 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article1630897.ece

The link to the source, and the written document below.

SCIENTISTS are trying to stop the most powerful experiment ever – saying the black holes it will create could destroy the world.

Dubbed by some the Doomsday test, it will be carried out next week in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), located 300ft underground near the French-Swiss border.

The machine is 17 miles long and cost £4.4billion to create.

When its switch is pulled on September 10, this atom-smasher will become a virtual time machine, revealing what happened when the universe came into existence 14 billion years ago.

New particles of matter are expected to be discovered, new dimensions found beyond the four known, as scientists re-create conditions in the first BILLIONTHS of a second after the Big Bang.

The atom smasher ... the 17-mile-long machine that some fear will destroy our planet

The atom smasher ... the 17-mile-long machine that some fear will destroy our planet

Experts even predict that millions of tiny black holes will be produced — baby brothers of the monsters gobbling up dust and stars at the heart of the galaxies.
Secrets

That is why boffins are now trying to stop the project with a last-ditch challenge in the courts.

They fear the LHC experimenters are tinkering with the unknown and putting mankind — and our whole planet — at risk.

The group responsible for the experiment, the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN), says that these mini black holes will vanish as quickly as they are created.

But the anti-CERN brigade accuse the scientists of playing God, warning that no one can guarantee that the black holes will not survive, rapidly growing in size to suck the Earth out of existence in an instant.

But CERN, which includes several UK scientists, say their work is vital to unlock the secrets of matter that forms everything known in the universe.

In the experiment, atomic particles will be fired in opposite directions along the 17-mile long underground ring — the length of the Circle Line on the London Underground.

They will travel so fast that they make 11,245 trips around the tunnel every SECOND.

From the collisions, boffins expect to discover a fundamental bit of the atom, called the Higgs boson, that is expected to exist but which has never been seen.

Professor Otto Rossler, from the Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen in Germany, is one of the scientists mounting the legal challenge at the European Court of Human Rights against 20 countries which are funding the project.

Advertisement

He said: “It is quite plausible that these little black holes will survive and will grow and eat the planet from the inside out.”

A CERN spokesman said: “It will not be producing anything that does not already happen routinely in nature.”

Well I just made the title to have emphasis in it. I really doubt anything serious will happen. Though what the scientist are trying to do is use an underground lab, to recreate a small scale big bang. This is to collect data from what happened before and after the Big Bang theory.

Though if something should go horribly wrong, like a black hole is created, it was nice knowing ya guys!

In about a day and a half we will know for sure.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18532

Back to top Go down

The end of the world! Empty Re: The end of the world!

Post  zfish9 Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 pm

okay... i read few a few coments, and this one caught my attention:
Jesus people! The risks involved in this experiment are miniscule and people saying that it is a waste of money and that it is not worth the risk have no idea what they are going on about and obviously know nothing about physics!

The information discovered in this one experiment will push forward the boundaries of science for generations to come and could benefit man kind immensely. I have followed the progress of this project closely since I first read about it and they state that it could lead to technology only as of yet believed to be available in science fiction, such as space folding and even time travel (but only from the time they turn on the machine).

As for black holes, they are actually quantum singularities that will be formed and they will be smaller than an atom and will last for a billionth of a second! Don't forget the forces that create natural black holes in space require the energy and mass of a collapsing massive star!

Anyway, think of it this way. If it does kill us, it'll happen so fast, none of us would even know it had happened. Oh and try the fact that it would destroy the entire solar system, not just Earth!

Exciting times!!!
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Yeah lol I know, I just wanted to spark some nerves in you guys. The black holes if created wouldn't last very long to do anything disastrous.

I hope they film it, so that I can view it, it will be really awesome to see it in live footage.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 pm

gee guys thanks for scaring the crap out of me for a full ten seconds. @_@

anyway, i think if there is a chance of there being risks for all of mankind, they shouldn't be doing it. seriously. but not my decision even though im a part of the risk. though if someone were to create a black hole, id want to throw a camera in there and see what happens XD. come on, who knows what could be in the black hole! ive always wanted to know =P
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17172

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Um? LS you do know what a black hole is right? Black holes have a superior gravitational pull, so powerful that light cannot escape it. That is the theory behind it, plus whatever is sucked in, is compressed ten fold. So imagine being crushed to the size of a grain of sand.

Whether you like it or not, they are going through with it. And I say go for it. Something like this will bring us so much insight into our universe that we know so little of. Nothing ventured nothing gained. This could be the find of the century.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:50 pm

^ i know what a black hole is but that's only a theory since no one has actually been inside a black hole and lived to tell the tale =P. for all we know there could be a party down there with Santa XD...i was only kidding anyway. i meant i would want a camera that we see what's happening at the same time so we can see the process of the camera being crushed and stuff....wouldn't that be so awesome?
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Yeah it would be cool, though if the theory holds true, it would probably only get one second of footage in before being crushed.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:24 pm

aww man =/
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:03 pm

Lee Tamotsu wrote:This could be the find of the century.

Or it could kill us all.
HaruWolf
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:14 pm

It's not going to kill us lol
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:32 pm

I sure hope not.....
HaruWolf
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:45 am

Look if it kills us you can say "I told you so!" Granted that you can still speak.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:39 pm

i dont like it because of a different reason. i dont like the fact that they're spending all this money on something like that, something that can wait, when our economy is down. they should be using that money on something that we actually need right now, something that would help us in the economy. but yeah i dont really know all that much about it so.....
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:07 pm

if it does kill us all, we better hope heaven has internet.
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:20 pm

eh it doesnt matter really afterall we wont notice it all . and i heard in could lad to the cure for cancer .

Earth Bender

Female Number of posts : 717

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Loyal Subject wrote:i dont like it because of a different reason. i dont like the fact that they're spending all this money on something like that, something that can wait, when our economy is down. they should be using that money on something that we actually need right now, something that would help us in the economy. but yeah i dont really know all that much about it so.....
You do know that this isn't the United States doing this project right? It's in Switzerland, so the U.S. economy really have nothing to do with this.

And Karin, I highly doubt creating a small scale replica of the Big Bang theory would cure cancer. Unless their idea is to have black holes suck out the cancer causing agent.

Doc: "Good news, we got rid of the cancer!"
Guy: "What's the bad news doc?"
Doc: "I hope you like being a lefty."

What this project will do is either disprove of the Big Bang theory, add more insight to it, or just not work the way they planned it to.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 am

ddint come up with it just heard it aprently on gmtv this morning it said this will the biggest thing since the interet , and also its in france not switzerland ????

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

So they flipped the switch at 9 am (Which is around 3 am, my time) It is still in the process of working so they haven't completed their project just yet. At least their hasn't been any news of it yet.

http://www.google.com/logos/lhc.gif

And here's Google's new image of the day
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  karin Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 am

i also heard today that even if its made the effects wont tkae place for four years strange huh . so if its going to kill it wont do so untill years pass ?? bull in my opinion .

Earth Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Just people trying to stir up more panic around the world. Well the whole process will be finished a few months from now. I'll edit in the count down timer when I find it, I found it earlier. Can't wait to see the results!

Edit: http://quegrande.org/countdown/

Ignore the threats and it's just a calendar.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

The end of the world! Empty Indian girl commits suicide over 'Big Bang' fear

Post  HaruWolf Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:08 pm

In India, fears about the experiment spread rapidly through the media

BHOPAL, India - A teenage girl in central India killed herself on Wednesday after being traumatized by media reports that a "Big Bang" experiment in Europe could bring about the end of the world, her father said.

The 16-year old girl from the state of Madhya Pradesh drank pesticide and was rushed to the hospital but later died, police said.

Her father, identified on local television as Biharilal, said that his daughter, Chayya, killed herself after watching doomsday predictions made on Indian news programs.

"In the past two days, Chayya had asked me and other relatives about the world coming to an end on September 10," Biharilal was quoted as saying.

"We tried to divert her attention and told her she should not worry about such things, but to no avail," he said.

For the past two days, many Indian news channels held discussions airing doomsday predictions over a huge particle-smashing machine buried under the Swiss-French border.

The machine, called the Large Hadron Collider, was switched on on Wednesday, at the start of what experts say is the largest scientific experiment in human history.

The machine smashes particles together to achieve, on a small-scale, re-enactments of the "Big Bang" that created the universe.

Leading scientists and researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, said the experiment was safe. They dismissed as "pure fiction" doomsday predictions that the experiment could create anti-matter, or black holes.

But in deeply religious and superstitious India, fears about the experiment and the minor risks associated with it spread rapidly through the media.

In east India, thousands of people rushed to temples to pray and fast while others savored their favorite foods in anticipation of the world's end.

"There were a thousand more devotees yesterday as well as today compared to (any) other normal day," Benudhara Sahu, a temple official in Orissa state, told Reuters.

Many women and children rushed to temples and observed fasts as they prayed for deliverance, officials and witnesses said.

Assurances by scientists and the media that nothing would happen counted for nothing for housewife Rukmini Moharana.

"I visited temple, prayed to god," Moharana said. "I am observing the fast for safety because god can only save us."
HaruWolf
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:49 pm

I just knew someone was going to kill their selves over this, and the scientist will get all the blame....not all those fools spreading falsified claims without any evidence. The media gobble anything up they read, it doesn't matter if it has sources or not. It's sad how easily most people can be controlled, if people were more strong willed stuff like this wouldn't happen, but because they go "I don't know what to do, someone guide me!" Such things happen.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:27 pm

it's not just the media Lee, it's the nature of people. people have a tendency to spread rumors and such things with no hard evidence and others tend to believe them. my friend convinced everyone at the table that this was going to happen at 3 pm when i was trying to tell them all 3 AM as in IT ALREADY HAPPENED GUYS. etc.

from the article my friend read, the project won't be turned on to maximum power until next year or something......

my opinion is can we please stop with potential doomsday devices and stop spreading rumors until we get to 2012. why do we have to have so many frigging the world's going to end scenarios lately XD
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 pm

It's October when they start the smashing of the atoms.

I know it's not just media

It's sad how easily most people can be controlled, if people were more strong willed stuff like this wouldn't happen, but because they go "I don't know what to do, someone guide me!" Such things happen.
Hence why I typed that.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:13 pm

oh i thought that was referring to the media.......woops ^^;
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next