Welcome Back Mr. Brightside!

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcome Back Mr. Brightside!

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:57 am

Dreaming
Main article: Dream

Dreaming is the perception of sensory images and sounds during sleep, in a sequence which the dreamer usually perceives more as an apparent participant than an observer. Dreaming is stimulated by the pons and mostly occurs during the REM phase of sleep.

People have proposed many hypotheses about the functions of dreaming. Sigmund Freud postulated that dreams are the symbolic expression of frustrated desires that had been relegated to the unconscious mind, and he used dream interpretation in the form of psychoanalysis to uncover these desires. See Freud: The Interpretation of Dreams.

Freud's work concerns the psychological role of dreams, which clearly does not exclude any physiological role they may have. It is not ruled out therefore by the increased modern interest in the organization and consolidation of recent memory and experience. Recent research claims that sleep has this overall role of consolidation and organization of synaptic connections formed during learning and experience.

John Allan Hobson and Robert McCarley's activation synthesis theory proposes that dreams are caused by the random firing of neurons in the cerebral cortex during the REM period. According to this theory, the forebrain then creates a story in an attempt to reconcile and make sense of the nonsensical sensory information presented to it; hence, the odd nature of many dreams.[43]

NREM sleep
Main article: Non-rapid eye movement sleep

According to the 2007 AASM standards, NREM consists of three stages. There is relatively little dreaming in NREM.

Stage N1 refers to the transition of the brain from alpha waves having a frequency of 8 to 13 Hz (common in the awake state) to theta waves having a frequency of 4 to 7 Hz. This stage is sometimes referred to as somnolence or drowsy sleep. Sudden twitches and hypnic jerks, also known as positive myoclonus, may be associated with the onset of sleep during N1. Some people may also experience hypnagogic hallucinations during this stage, which can be troublesome to them. During N1, the subject loses some muscle tone and most conscious awareness of the external environment.

Stage N2 is characterized by sleep spindles ranging from 12 to 16 Hz and K-complexes. During this stage, muscular activity as measured by EMG decreases, and conscious awareness of the external environment disappears. This stage occupies 45 to 55% of total sleep in adults.

Stage N3 (deep or slow-wave sleep) is characterized by delta waves ranging from 0.5 to 4 Hz (also called delta rhythms). This is the stage in which such parasomnias as night terrors, bedwetting, sleepwalking, and sleep-talking occur.

[edit] REM sleep
Main article: Rapid eye movement sleep

Rapid eye movement sleep, or REM sleep, accounts for 2025% of total sleep time in normal human adults. The criteria for REM sleep include rapid eye movements as well as a rapid low-voltage EEG. Most memorable dreaming occurs in this stage. At least in mammals, a descending muscular atonia is seen. Such paralysis may be necessary to protect organisms from self-damage through physically acting out scenes from the often-vivid dreams that occur during this stage.

REM, rapid eye movement, is the part where people fall into a unconscious state. However they are somewhat still awake, but not in tune with their surroundings. They can hear what's going on as someone talking in the background, a TV being on and the such. However if a loud enough noise occurs they will wake up.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:07 pm

^ yeah that happens to me all the time =D.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm

That's called a daze, there's a difference LS
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:12 pm

i did say day-dream/dreaming. i call the daze a day dream =p
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:13 pm

That's not REM though, that's just blanking out. You need to be asleep with eyes closed and body functions shutting/slowing down to sleep in REM.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:14 pm

now im just confused.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:16 pm

A daze and REM are not the same thing.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:29 pm

ok. so either way, i have no idea what im talking about =p
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 pm

You weren't taught about REM or the different stages of sleeping? You never dream in your deepest stage of sleep known as deep sleep for some since your brain activity is really low. It's when you're about to wake up that you dream. For an idea of it your brain turns on the throttle to full, so you start to think like you would if you were fully awake. So a dream is just thinking but when sleeping.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 pm

^ i was never taught that. if you want to learn about that kind of stuff in my school, you had to take psychology. which i did not. though i have always wanted to learn that and my friend who took the course told me bits and pieces of it. but she never called anything REM.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:18 pm

REM Rapid Eye Movement, it's the part of sleeping where your eyes move on their own accord. It's the nerves, but it's needed for the slow down process.

I learned a lot of this in school I think science, but I also had to take Psychology in college.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:19 pm

^ why couldnt my science classes teach interesting things like that! seriously @_@.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:20 pm

lol what did they teach you then?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm

biology, chemistry, and physics. i only really remember the math stuff that we learned. the rest i dont remember. science never really interested me...except when we talked about animals but my bio teacher said some things that were wrong so i stopped listening to her XD.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:57 pm

I never learned about that in school, but i already knew the basics of it.
My house has alot of books in it.
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:26 pm

i know we have a dream dictionary but my dreams are never in it =/
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:11 pm

is it because the dictionary is true to other dictionaries;
only contains boring things or non-boring things in a boring manner?
zfish9
Air Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:18 pm

A dream dictionary, what?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:47 pm

You find something in your dream in the dictionary and then you look up that thing in the dictionary. it tells you what the dream means.

Speaking of dreams, this is going to sound extremely freaky. Remember in another thread that i said there would be a darkrai event? well, i caught it on the 7th. For theose who don't know, Darkrai is a pokemon that can cause nightmares in others. Aparently, that also includes me IRL. I haven't had a nightmare in months. i got my first one in awhile on the same day that i caught Darkrai, and every night afterwards.

I'm guessing it's still pissed at me for catching it, lol.

But seriously, i already know it's purely coincidental.
And I also know that i'm Od'ing Pokemon to notice that...
zfish9
Air Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:34 am

lol that is a pretty funny coincidence.

What exactly was the dream, catching Darkrai only to lose him by some means, Pokemon data all of it deleting, or LS stalking you?

All three?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:48 pm

^ why would i be stalking zfish i have nothing to gain except maybe a look at a puppy XD.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Only Zfish's dream will tell...
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 pm

I don't remember. 5 minutes after i wake up i have no idea what the dream was about. just that there was a bad dream there too.

the very least that i remember was that had nothing to do with Pokemon... or being stalked by LS.

Oh, and about the puppy: if you do stalk me just to see my puppy, bring a cardboard box for when you don't want to put up with her anymore. throw the bow and within an hour the box will be in small shreds.

Last edited by zfish9 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
zfish9
Air Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:06 pm

^ awww i love puppies. i doubt there would be a time when i didnt want to put up with a puppy.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:16 pm

I used to have a Saint Bernard puppy.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down