Anime?

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime?

Post  Lee on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:13 pm

I really feel sorry for the unknown actor who is going to be Aang. Since he's white and not asian, people are going to complain. Might possibly even chastise at him if they see him in public. Stupid rabid fangirls/boys can be so cruel.

Also I see no problem with the actors/actresses they choose. People make such a big deal about race so many times it gets on my nerves. Everything that's said is either taken as a hate crime or racist. It's tearing apart people more then it is uniting us all.

Green Lantern was actually a white male hero, but they later changed him to being black.

In the Resident Evil series, the series Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 0, Survivors, Outbreak, Code Veronica, and maybe a few others, those all took place in parts of America. All except Veronica were in the middle of United States, I can't remember the exact state, but most of the zombies were white. Then Resident Evil 4 took place in Spain, where the zombies or virus possessed inhabitants were Spanish. Though the soon to be released Resident Evil 5 takes place in Africa, the zombies are now mostly African. You wouldn't belive how much controversy went into that idea by the public. Apparently it's ok for them to kill white and Spanish zombies, but no African zombies is going to far and being racist.

People blow things out of proportion too much, this is Night's movie, not Mike or Bryan's they are only high leveled guests with the honor to be with him as much as you might grit your teeth. Not saying any of you do, just stating the obvious.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 pm

but apparently he's a karate star, so maybe people will be able to overcome their opinions of him? I'm going to basing most of my opinions of this movie on acting and graphics. Aang doesn't look tibetan or anything, so maybe the kid they've cast can pull it off?? Now that I've done some more digging (on imdb.com, etc), I think the girl who seems to be playing katara looks somewhat like katara would, actually........ Same goes for the person "rumoured" to be playing Admiral Zhao..... I'm starting to get high expectations now, which could be a bad thing, LOL!

speaking of expectations - has anyone seen the trailer for the new Harry Potter movie???? It looks like it's going to be another great one, visually speaking! **excited!!**
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:33 pm

Actually Night had an interview with Mike and Bryan about this, he's actually a fan of the show. I'll post it in a second if you have the time to watch it. It's actually interesting since it shows how into it he actually is.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:36 pm

Double post, here it is. I posted this somewhere else, but I guess no one noticed.....or cared lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiGRraX3Fs&feature=related

Anyways it's a decent interview about 8 minutes long.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:16 pm

lol - that is a pretty good interview - sounds like he really loves the show. And he likes Hayao Miyazaki films too - that's awesome!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Jesse McCartney happens to be a good voice actor. i dont know how great of a regular actor he is but as far as Zuko's voice goes...i have no worries.

yup that's all i have to say.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm just wondering what Momo and Appa will look like. I'm kinda anxious to see the trailer and seeing Appa and Momo flying around in it.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Yeah, Jesse McCartney did do a great job voicing Roxas in Kingdom Hearts.

I saw the Trailer for the new Harry Potter Movie! It looks awesome!

PS: Hayao Miyazaki Rules!!
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Isn't he the one who made all those award winning animations?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:40 am

Yeah - Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies, to name a few. He's supposed to be really amazing. I've only watched Howl's Moving Castle, so I can't say I'm a good critic of his work... but I watched it with my sister, who's a fan of the book, and she said that he really brought out a lot of the main points from the book, and portrayed the characters exactly as they're described in the book, if not better.

I'm sure Momo and Appa will be kickass! Even though they're not connect to Night, I'm having visions of Saphira from the Eragon movie, and Buckbeak and the dragons from Harry Potter!
(Although HP also makes me think of the craptastic werewolf from Prisoner of Azkaban, but I'm sure Night wont allow the creatures of the Avatar world to be such travesties as that!)

Apparently, anime has just become big in Hollywood recently, and there are more animes being turned into live-action movies. It seems that Steven Spielberg is making a Ghost In The Shell movie, and Leonardo DiCaprio is working on a live-action version of Akira (anyone know is this is a good one? I've heard of it, but never watched it...). And there's teh DBZ movie too, of course! If this keeps on, it'll be pretty awesome! I could be a hopeful optimist and wish that someone will come out with a live-action version of Beck!

p.s. sorry, I just looked at the Episode Downloads thread and realized that a similar convo had occured on there a little while ago!
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 am

i think FMA would make a good movie .

Earth Bender

Female Number of posts : 717

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Uruviel wrote:Yeah - Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies, to name a few.

Grave of the Fireflies was made by Isao Takahata, not Hayao Miyazaki.

But yeah, Miyazaki's movies are some of the best movies that I've ever seen! My favorites of his are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

Miyazaki also made Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, but I haven't seen those yet.
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Whoops - my bad, my bad!

Is Castle In The Sky the sequel for Howl's Moving Castle?

I totally agree with Karin - FMA would make a kickass movie!

So would the OVAs of Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X), although there are already quite a lot of movies about samurais and ninja..... but the themes in the OVAs are so mature and different from your average martial arts adventure movies (e.g. fighting over legendary treasure, reclaiming a kidnapped prince/princess - like in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon).......
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 pm

Hey don't hallow Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. At least those movies are more accurate when it comes to the actual history and styles of fighting. I've seen this Kenshin anime and it's not accurate. There's no such thing as a reverse blade, it only became famous due to fictional shows/books such as this and then were made for fans. There's no records of any being made or used back then.

Sorry I'm a fan of historical accuracy, I guess that comes from being interested in history. It just feels like someone took a knife and gutted me if I see something that I know is way way way inaccurate.

Get this, this is actually funny.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/3/933873_77015_front.jpg

The American Civil War game for the ps2. Sponsored by the History channel indicated by their logo. Funny thing is, this game is so horribly inaccurate. They couldn't get the dates of the battles right, they didn't know who did what, and sadly they couldn't figure out what Generals were present for each battle. Gatling guns weren't in use until the very end of the war, they really didn't even get used, but this game has them in Gettysburg. So how does the Gatling gun show up in 1863 when it wasn't used until 1865? Time traveling me thinks? Nah I say these fools didn't do their homework, and the History Channel should be ashamed of themselves.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Uruviel wrote:Whoops - my bad, my bad!

Is Castle In The Sky the sequel for Howl's Moving Castle?

lol, their styles are very similar though. Very Happy

Nope, the movies Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky are completely unrelated. Although, the name of the sequel to the book Howl's Moving Castle is called Castle in the Air. Weird, huh?

Castle in the Sky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_in_the_Sky

Castle in the Air: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_in_the_Air
HaruWolf
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:21 pm

Lee Tamotsu wrote:Hey don't hallow Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. At least those movies are more accurate when it comes to the actual history and styles of fighting. I've seen this Kenshin anime and it's not accurate. There's no such thing as a reverse blade, it only became famous due to fictional shows/books such as this and then were made for fans. There's no records of any being made or used back then.

Sorry I'm a fan of historical accuracy, I guess that comes from being interested in history. It just feels like someone took a knife and gutted me if I see something that I know is way way way inaccurate.

hey hey hey hey hey. there shall be no shunning of Kenshin =P he's so cute ^_^
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:22 pm

I'm not, I just hate how people think that the reverse blade is actually historical.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:25 pm

i wish it were real >.<
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:56 pm

It is, you can buy them. They just aren't historically accurate. They were made for collector items for fans and the such.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:33 pm

^ i meant i wish they had been real ^^
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:12 pm

LOL!!!
I'm just saying that the Samurai X OVAs had different themes, which you don't normally see in movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I'm a HUGE fan of that movie - all the moves in it were freaking awesome, the cinematography was beautiful, the music was great!!! But, and I may be wrong, it seemed more like your typically adventure-samurai-ninja movie, only with cooler special effects. I probably have that impression because the first and only time I watched it was when it was first released.... that was like 7 years ago, right? My mind wasn't as analytical back then as it is now. Maybe I'll see bigger themes in it if I watch it again now... who knows?

Besides, There's no reverse-blade sword in at least the 1st OVA of Samurai X. The entire style of storytelling is waaayyy different in the OVAs compared to the actual show, not to mention the artwork. And about historical accuracy - this series would be under the "historical fiction" or even the "historiographic metafiction" genre if it was a book. The story and the characters are all fictional, but they're placed in a real historically accurate setting and time period, and then even interact with real historical figures, e.g. Saito from the Shinsengumi was a real person - he's even on Wikipedia! Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin is like Margaret Atwood's "Alias Grace", and Michael Ondaatje's "In The Skin of A Lion", and even James Fenimore Cooper's "The Last of the Mohicans". (Sorry, I can only think of one American historical fiction novel - I studied more of this genre in my Canadian Lit. class than in American Lit.)

Here watch the OVAs --- they're way different from the anime. The first one tells Kenshin's story before the time the anime takes place in, and the second one is what happens after the ending of the anime. I don't think you really need to have watch all of the anime to know what's happening.........

1. http://www.animeseason.com/samurai-x-trust-betrayal/
2. http://www.animeseason.com/samurai-x-reflection/

I think you'll like the OVAs, Lee.....
Uruviel
Water Bender

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 pm

I figured I'd dust this old topic off. I recently got into some old but good Anime.

First up is Yu Yu Hakusho. It's about a 14 year old boy and his friends who can see spirits and demons. It's their job to kill them and make sure that they don't take over the human world. There's a whole lot of fighting, it's straight to the point beat them up kind of anime. There's a season box set for almost the whole series now if you're interested in it.

I also got into One Piece. They have the season box sets now to, and they are done by the Funamation crew, not 4kids, if that bothered you. So now you can listen and watch the early episodes with the voice actors of Funamation.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Double post! I know. Knock me out with a baseball bat if you want to!

Has anyone here ever heard of the Cyborg 009 series? It's about nine individuals who were kidnapped around the world from different time periods to be altered into cyborgs for experiments. 001-009 are the good guys who hope to put a stop to the Black Ghost, a war arms dealing, engineering, and experimenting group, who create their own weapons and biological weapons. The bio weapons would be the cyborgs.

I bought the 1st dvd volume years ago and just found it under my desk. I had wondered where it went! I don't have a messy room so I had no idea where it was. It's a really interesting anime back from the 1960/1970's. Each cyborg has their own abilities, backgrounds, and race. It's actually the only cartoon or show that I've seen with the most diversification of different races.

Cyborg 001 is a baby from Russia who had brain problems, who is later used for telepathy and mind force fields, 002 has jet boosters, 003 has super sight and hearing, 004 has rockets in his knee and machine gun hand, 005 super strength, 006 has fire, 007 is a shape shifter, 008 specializes in water, and 009 was the last model, very advanced and can run fast.

Has anyone heard of this show?

Edit: I found a clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgYogAsMmkw&NR=1
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:58 pm

^ never. i missed all the old anime pretty much =/

i really wanted Clannad the box set but they didnt dub it! now im annoyed and im not going to waste my money on it if it's just the same episodes that are online.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Argh! LS! 009 is the best show since sliced bread! It goes in the same category of pure awesomeness that TMNT has held. They now butt heads, neither side is winning though.

My favorite is 002, he's a brash American from New York. He was the first captured for experiments, but due to the child 001 who was deemed a child prodigy due to abnormal intelligence. His intellect was above average so they stopped production on Jet (002) and did the baby instead. He's the only American on the team, but surprisingly besides 009 has the most screen time.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: