A Heads Up

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Heads Up

Post  Lee on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 am

This is basically just a notice, that if I can get things done with schoolwork early this weekend, I have an idea how I'm going to tweak the forums. I still don't really care for the layout colors we have.

The banner is also great, but it's lacking that last piece, what that is, I don't know. It might not be possible to add that last piece to it now, for whatever reason.

Anyway I found these existing forum skins, that you can place onto your forum. (You can still tweak them to your liking) but it will be so much easier then trying to tweak an entire layout that is just being so damned stubborn with everything I do.

I'll warn you when that day or time might come, right now it'll be on hold. I haven't done it yet, but I'll save a history version of this forum so that if we don't like the skins we can just go straight back to this content.

However I think that since it's like a history rollback that posts that we make in the newer forum design might not make it back to the rollback. That's why I'm giving you all a warning, so that you don't make any lengthy posts or posts you don't want to be lost.

I might also need your guys feedback on the different themes to see which ones we like.

I wasn't going to touch the forum design for a long time from now, but I feel compelled to now because our inactive status. The main reason I kept working on it was not to gain more members for the RP but the entire forum, because most RolePlays still only move along when I move them along, which I can't be constantly doing that.

I also noticed that most of the threads only stay active or posted in, if I post in them, otherwise they also stay inactive...hopefully a better looking forum design will bring in more members or guests who will contribute to both the forum and RPs.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Heads Up

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:28 pm

so you're saying any post we've ever posted might get deleted?

topics usually die because there's only two people that are here most of the time so if one of us stops a conversation or gets to a point where the other person really has nothing to say, the conversation dies. it's really not that surprising.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:25 pm

...You know what a rollback date is right? Say the rollback date is today. You make a post tomorrow, and the next day I roll the forum back to before you made that post. Now it's gone because that was technically set in the future. Get it?

You're failing to see the point I'm trying to make. Right now most RolePlays stay inactive unless I move them on, like with a very lengthy detailed post. I can't do that every time.

And also for regular topics, I'm usually the one posting in a bulk of them to keep things active, but if I wasn't to they would remain inactive. I'm not pointing fingers or anything, I'm just saying that I will give you a warning/heads up when I plan to do that forum skin theme testing.

And I will create a temporary save file of this forum's design so in case I screw up anything or it looks like crap, that way we can rollback to the original version easily.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:20 pm

oh okay.

the only reason you're posting a bulk in regular topics is because chances are i've already posted in them and killed the topic :p
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am

Ok I did some more tweaking to the forum. Used a completely different skin, so I'll see what you have to say about it, before determining anything.

Also created Appa post icons! ...Or just Avatar icons.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:50 pm

i like this.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:41 pm

I was thinking about adding little brown horns to the white arrow balls, but I thought that would be too much. Good to hear that you like it, I tested out a bunch of different variations (there was a ton of tweaking to do still, but not as much by doing it by scratch)
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 pm

actually, i think the horns might work. it depends on how big you intended to make them.

also, you have 'mp' instead of 'pm'. just thought id let you know.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:52 pm

I know...those are pre-existing icons. I don't know why it flipped.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:00 pm

oh okay. i wasn't sure if you were aware of it or not. i just caught it out of the corner of my eye.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 pm

actually, i think the horns might work. it depends on how big you intended to make them.

Yeah it probably wouldn't hurt to try. They were going to be very tiny and brown, but large enough to notice.

I just noticed that even though I do like the Avatar element icons, they're kind of big. They're also hard to see correctly once you scaled them down to a small enough size and at the size they are now, they're both blurred, hard to see, and still on the large side, which gives them a juvenile appearance.

Edit: Got to say, little Appa icon looks kind of cute.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

it looks much better with the horns in my opinion.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah my thoughts also, also working on new navbar buttons.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 pm

you're getting there. it's starting to look like an arrow :D
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

lol I know how to do it, I'm just annoyed at the jagged edge on the end arrow. Not straight lines tend to do that on photoshop...
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 pm

oh...i have no idea.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:30 pm

I tried, but decided just to get the rest of it finished. I'll worry about that later, it's only on two sides.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Took longer then I expected, but I got Aang's arrow finished.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:39 pm

So what do you think about the arrows?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:46 pm

i like them.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Alright, cool I just wanted to know. About the banner, I think I might just make some nice illustrated text. It did some searching and it seems that's what most forums do. Well the ones I've looked at so far.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:18 pm

So now that you've had some time to adjust to this forum layout, how do you feel about it? Like it, don't, not sure? Better then the previous one we had?

Also about the banner, I do like it, but I don't think it would fit. It just looks like it's missing something. Anyway I noticed that some forums usually have just some illustrated text.

So it got me thinking what should our text look like if we were to make one, to give it character, but have it work with the site. And also what would we use.

Avatar(ERPF) just looks weird, even though that's what it's called. Should we just go back to AvatarEpisodes text, AE (even though that makes me think of AfterEffects :P), or something else?

I think adding it all would be a bit too much. Your thoughts?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:40 pm

i like it.

i dont think we need a banner and we just need the text as you said.

i would use a font that is semi-formal only because the layout is more formal.

i think we should call it either Avatar Episodes or Avatar RP.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Whodamien or whatever had something in his old forum, what picture was it that was above the Avatar Episodes text?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:51 pm

pssh I don't remember lol XD
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down