Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Banner; MakeOver Time?

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum Banner; MakeOver Time? Empty Forum Banner; MakeOver Time?

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:05 pm

As the thread title asks and suggests, do you think it's time to rework our banner? Not necessarily about the whole One Piece and Avatar thing, but just changing it.

If either of us were new, would we immediately recognize Aang or the Avatar stuff? I mean it's really dark and void. We probably like it cause that's what we grew accustomed to. But it's rather lacking, not very eye catching, vibrant, or gives off that homey feel.

It gives more of an unwelcoming feel if you ask me. That might detract some guests, I don't know. I feel that it was the same way with the dark forum. We grew used to it, but it was just damp and dark to others. I know because I got used to this layout and checked out Bright's old forum. Man is that place dark! No wonder no one stayed.

I think we need to start working on a new banner. Nothing will be replaced or taken down right away, but we need suggestions, ideas, and to brainstorm what we should do. We'll use software programs, (we're not drawing any of it; we'll just use screen captures and images from the real show)

We'll cut and paste the captures neatly so that it doesn't look like a Frankenstein piece. But we still need to brainstorm suggestions and ideas like I explained above, and search and or find some images that we think will work great with the new banner.

That doesn't mean we will use the entire capture. There might be a sunset in one shot that just works so well or an expression or posture that looks perfect on Aang, but we want to drop the background. Does this make sense?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Forum Banner; MakeOver Time? Empty Re: Forum Banner; MakeOver Time?

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:19 pm

we need a new banner.

i would suggest we photoshop it but...i no longer have photoshop. i lost it when my computer was struck with the virus ;_;

unless you have it but i thought you said you didnt...

the only thing i would say about the banner as of now is it would have to somehow match the color scheme we have going on here. either that, or we should change the color scheme a little to match whatever picture we choose. one or the other, they need to match.

i think for images we should keep it as simple as possible and just add an effect to the image if we can.

i also think what might work is since this is an RP with an original story, maybe we should use images from the Oma and Shu story, in particular, the landscape. That way, it's not like we're implying the RP is with the main cast and is instead it's own story. I'm trying to think if there's an image where it's the main cast and that style...because that would be cool...but i dont think it ever happens.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:26 pm

What if we used Sokka's drawings? lol...

I don't know about the Oma and Shu thing. I really liked the simple drawings, but would people be attracted to that? Most importantly Avatar and RP fans?

Maybe we should just search for a bunch of different good screen shots from ATLA, Korra, and some other stuff...I don't know. I've been busy trying to kill Bright's old site right now. The damn thing keeps attracting all the guests (and members kept registering)

It's so damn annoying. The place is dead, but it steals our guests/members because it's first in the Google search. (Of Avatar RP Episodes)

Oh and I have photoshop, illustrator, after effects, flash, sound booth pro, and other programs to boot.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:33 pm

^ where did you get all those programs!? i cant find diddly squat at any of the computer stores around me O_O.

if we do the classic Korra image that came out, it would suggest we're a Korra RP and we're not. we should probably stay away from Korra until we decide to actually do one and know more about the series so it's actually possible to do one.

i dont know if it would necessarily attract people if it didnt have someone from the gaang in it. but at the same time, we don't want people joining the forum thinking they're going to get to be characters from the main cast and really interact with them when they aren't. because then we'll just get a whole bunch of people leaving again because it's not what they expected.

maybe instead of showing a character, we should show a symbol that suggests Avatar...like the four nation symbols.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:38 pm

I bought them all in a bundle with a student discount at my school.

LS, I didn't say we were just going to use ATLA or Korra images, we were going to combine them somehow. While we may be a forum about the RP, I don't want people thinking that is what we only are. That was the problem before.

I want to show them that we are both an RP and Avatar discussion forum. Why come here for an RP you've never heard of, been part of, and will probably leave you in the dust because it's so far ahead, when you can hop over to an all Related Avatar forum elsewhere? We need to cater to the other members to, not just us.

We are not just about the Rp. If you want it to be that way, then it's just going to be the two of us forever until something happens where we grow apart from it.

I want to keep it active and make it flourish a little. I know you hate (at least you said that) members coming, but we need to hold onto members.

This is also the thread where I'm trying to take down Bright's old site. http://help.forumotion.com/t92518-old-forum-6-month-inactivity-need-help-with-deactivation-of-it#596944
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:50 pm

i wish they'd offer that at my school...

even if you want to cater to new members and have it not just be about the RP, i still think it's better to pick a simple image as opposed to putting a whole bunch of images together. if you have just one simple image, it's easier for people to remember what the banner looks like and what the banner is as opposed to just putting a whole bunch of images together. it might look too cluttered otherwise. that's why i suggested some sort of landscape picture originally.

and, i thought you just wanted something that focused more on the RP but still kept with the Avatar related. that's why i suggested no characters. because we are still called Avatar RP so it might be misleading...

and i dont have a problem with new members. i just didnt want any of my friends joining and i didnt want us advertising on avatarspirit.net cause i dont like that group =p.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:56 pm

Just leave the editing to me. I have a degree in graphic design. (Before I moved onto my university) I've done some searching of banners on forums. They're normally not too simple or complex, they are just right. So that's what I'm aiming for.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:02 pm

okay.

but i still want photoshop back >.<

i like the image with Korra looking over the Republic City btw. dont know if i mentioned it before.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:11 pm

We don't have many choices. It's either that one or the one with her close up.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:16 pm

i know. but i like the city view one better =p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:32 pm

But we would somehow need to find a view for ATLA that went well with it. Or we would either have to use Korra or the landscape by itself, which could be managed well.

Because Aang has that back view thing during the opening sequence, when he's gazing onwards on those tall rock pillar things.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:33 pm

^ yeah i was thinking of that one too lol.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:36 pm

The problem with those two is that they are far away images. So they wouldn't work so well.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm

thats why i said to just use one landscape image lol. thats what i meant anyway.

or is there a way you can have it looking like Aang is in front like he is and the Republic City behind him? i dont know if thats possible though.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:41 pm

That would look weird. I'm just going to try to do something where it has some of the cast and work/edit it so that it seems like a banner where they are all togetehr in the same banner and seem that way.

With the Korra and Aang thing looking in opposite directions, I don't know how well that would work.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:44 pm

can't you flip/rotate the image so it looks like they're facing the other way? or flip/rotate the city so it looks like Aang's actually looking at the city? i dont know, im just throwing ideas out.

or, not even necessarily have Aang and the City solid. maybe have the Republic City fading into the mountains. or something...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:50 pm

I can only move the images so far, they're not 3D. I don't know if it'll work...We'll have a few test samples and whatnot.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:53 pm

im almost positive you can flip an image so if person A is facing one way, you can make him facing another. i just dont know how it would look...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:56 pm

It would look bad, because things distort. Once I start working on the banner, I'll try a few things out. Going to have to go through a digging spree online to grab some good quality images though.

If you happen to find any images that you think would look good in the banner (when it's all chopped up and smoothly edited in) let me know or show a link to it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:01 pm

yeah, i usually use Avatarspirit for images...but they're jerks and they take down stuff >.<

unless i just send you a link to the original page i found it on...that could work.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Sure if you find something, just do that.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 pm

okay then.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:28 pm

So since I might not be heading over to the reenactment this weekend, I thought I'd work on the forum a little. Been doing searches for images for our banner. I'm having a hell of a time finding the original opening. If you happen across it, link me, even if the quality is bad.

Better quality is preferred though...thanks!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 pm

you mean a video of the original opening? or you want screenshots of the original opening?

i found this if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skBxbdr5SEw
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Right that's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the full opening, but not the one that's shown during the first episode. I'm looking for the common shortened opening, full with the elements and Aang looking over the mountains.

This won't work though, because I'm hoping to use the footage. It needs to be of better quality then that. So someone filming it on TV won't work, thanks though.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum