Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yard Sales

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Yard Sales - Page 2 Empty Re: Yard Sales

Post  Lee Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:53 pm

What are you going to do with it? It's the headless Sephiroth!
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Well currently he's on my shelf next to Mickey from Kingdom Hearts =p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Is it just missing or was it like forcefully yanked off?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 pm

it's just missing. almost all his limbs can be taken off.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Reminds me of these old Legend of Dragoon toys I have. They're somewhere up in my attic now. Found them in some GameStop years and years ago and had to buy them. They're hard to find, even when they first came out.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm

i dont know if i have toys that were hard to come by when they were first released. but i do know i have toys that are hard to find now =p. like, im still trying to find my Belle's mirror from Beauty and the Beast. it looks exactly like the one in the movie. oddly, the Disney Store doesn't make them like that anymore.

i also have a replica of Aladdin's lamp. and a Scar plush in the attic that we had to order from Disneyworld because they weren't selling them anywhere else.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Isn't it just cool when you get your hands on something rare and hard to come by?

I love it especially when relic hunting with the Civil War. Found a undershirt (they were long sleeved white cotton) button cuff. It had an insignia and the 6th US etched onto it.

Of course it wasn't from the Civil War, but it was still old. It was sometime in the early 1800's after the war of 1812 I think. Anyway the reason I found it so cool was because it was a button from the branch I portray. I don't portray the 6th, but I do portray the United States infantry, so it was neat having a piece from the actual brigade. Especially because information and relics for the US Infantry during that time are hard to come by.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:03 pm

^ yes it is. this is why i have trouble getting rid of my things. because then i think to myself 'but what if it becomes rare and then ill wish i had it' XD.

i also hate finding rare things because i usually find them with someone who knows its rare so the price is completely ridiculous or it isnt for sale.

like, this one guy at the beach had a pistol that was imbedded in a rock and it belonged to Black Beard. i thought it was so cool but at the same time it was like 'aww man' cause it wasnt for sale obviously.

theres also a thing going on at the Disney Store where they're selling the plushes that were used for the Winnie the Pooh movie. but it's $200 for the whole set and you cant buy them individually.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Even if it was for sale, that's something that would be too fishy. A button cuff of some soldier during the 1800's is more possible then a legit pistol owned by Black Beard. Some things are just fake and even I have a hard time with some things knowing what is legit and what isn't when browsing artifacts of the Civil War.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 pm

it had Black Beard's initials on it. i dont remember what else he said because it was a long time ago but it seemed pretty legit to me based on what i knew previously.

then again, we can just add this to the gullibility as a kid list.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 pm

It could had been forged. There are a lot of checks and different papers claiming to be of a certain date with someone's signature. As far as I know, they could be fake. I have this one check dating back to the Civil War, 1863 I think. A reenacting and relic hunting buddy of mine gave me it. He has a good eye for certain things, but sometimes you just don't know.

I could go and get different tests done for the age of paper, what was written, and so forth, but I'm not putting that kind of money out for a check by someone whose name I've never even heard before.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:33 pm

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpxisuciXH1r18qsxo1_500.jpg

that's the Sephiroth I was talking about.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Damn, looks like someone chewed his head off. You must know your figures and characters. I wouldn't had realized that was him.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:38 pm

his head isn't chewed off. it's detachable. i have several Naruto figures that can do this.

and yeah, it was weird. when i saw him i was like "THIS IS SEPHIROTH I KNOWS IT!" and then i checked on the toy and it does say 'Square Enix 1997 (or 8, i forget which)' so it HAS to be him.

and my mom was like 'damn O-o.'
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Someone must not had been a fan. Honestly I would not display headless toys in my store, even if it was just a consignment shop.

I remember walking into one of those stores when I was a kid. My mom dragged me in when she was shopping. I went my separate way looking through some stuff. To this day, I'll never forget that I found used underwear in a bin...with an extra surprise in it.

I mean seriously?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:46 pm

^ lol

well the toy was in a bin of toys. it wasn't like he was just chilling out in the open.

i actually bought a blue dress there today. i think im going to do Dorothy Gale for Halloween since Rapunzel will probably fail at this point.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 pm

I actually had a lot of plans for Halloween (as in designs) but never got to any of them. I'll either use the ones that I've already made or just suit up in my reenactment uniform. I got to get on the ball next year.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:54 pm

my good ones are too recent: people will remember them from previous years.

i havent been Dorothy in a while though.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm actually pretty pissed that I completely forgot to work on a Halloween costume this Summer.

Oh good news though. Remember that armor piece I made and asked how to make it look more rustic with color? Well I learned that linseed oil (usually used for wood) if rubbed and smoothed onto the surface protects and gives it that color I was looking for.

I haven't fully tested it out though, so here's hoping.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:55 pm

that's good even though i have no idea what you're talking about really. but still, so long as it works :D
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Yeah we talked about it a few months back or so. You didn't know what to tell me, but you suggested me hitting it with rocks or something...yeah I don't know. Or maybe that was someone else.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm

no i remember giving you advice and telling you something (what that something was, i dont remember) but i just don't know what you're talking about with your solution =p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Oh linseed oil is this oil secretion from a type of seed, which was boiled. They use it often to protect and give wood a slick shiny surface. It works for leather to, and also gives it a darker and more rustic color.

Whether or not that will happen with my leather, I don't know. I have some left over pieces, so I'm testing it on those before it even dares to touch my finished piece.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 pm

oh okay, got it.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down