Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rant Thread

+2
Loyal Subject
Lee
6 posters

Page 6 of 41 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 41  Next

Go down

Rant Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Rant Thread

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:00 pm

oh yeah, i do that all the time. =p. my friend just does it when she looks like she's paying attention...but i guess she's not. if im spacing out, you can usually tell XD.

she's also known to say weird things and like me, she makes the most random references. i remember one time she started singing a song from RENT the movie:

she sang: "Another time--"

so then I sang: "--Another place."

and then she nearly fell out of her chair, screaming "OMG HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT!?"

and i said "Umm...I've seen RENT O_o"

it was really funny because she thought it was impossible that I was able to know the lyrics to RENT. And after that, whenever she makes a random reference, I'm pretty much the only person who knows what she's talking about. It happened with the Goofy Movie too but I forgot what she said originally. We're the random reference people =P. end of random story =D.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:48 pm

ok, i need to get this out of my system.

so apparently my college puts a hold on your account if you are majoring in the contemporary arts. meaning, you can't sign up for classes until you see and advisor. so i called the people up and i told them i needed an appointment. i thought i was going to have the woman who supposedly specializes in communication advising so i brought my mom with me because i can't deal with this woman. seriously, she has no idea what she's talking about.

so we get there and thank goodness i get the advisor that i like, that actually knows what he's talking about. yes! joyous victory. i actually got the advice i needed. like, how to get into the classes i actually need. best advisement session ever!

or so i thought.

he told me i had no hold on my account. but knowing my school, i knew they were going to put the hold back on. i just knew it. I get to a computer after the advisement meeting: hold's back on. Finally, I got in touch with the advisor and he's like "what did they do that for?" so he forwarded the call to someone who would take off the hold. i explained to her i had just went to an advisement meeting and my hold was put on again.

she says to me "Now, if I go and call the advisor you spoke to, he's going to vouch for you that you were there this morning, correct?". wth! why would i make up something as ridiculous as i went to see an advisor during spring break. who does that? i think it's terrible to assume the worst in someone. i told her yes, you could call him and she's like "all right..." as if i was lying to her still. honestly, on top of the fact i found out about my account having a hold with only a week to correct the mistake, i almost started to tear. i just want my hold taken off. is that so hard to ask?

and then she tells me who my real advisor is. i told her i knew this and my first advisor told me to go to the main advising building to get set up with someone who is involved with communications. then she continues by saying there are two separate advising buildings: one for contemporary arts and one for everything else. and i was like "ok i wasnt told any of that. but since i already had an appointment with someone, does that mean my hold is going to be taken off?".

basically, everything she said (because she continued to explain things) completely contradicted what i was told during the first semester. can you people know what you are doing!? is it really that hard to just be on the same page with the rules and regulations of the school? why is this so difficult! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah @_@

luckily, she actually took the hold off. but you know, im still going to stalk my account to see if the hold is put back on again @_@. on top of that, my time of registration i have classes which means im going to have a hard time getting the classes i need. again.

honestly, i hate academic advisement on all levels. they are absolutely pointless. what's terrible is they make you do this every semester and you can't sign up for classes until you do it.

ok, i feel better now.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:27 pm

....... wow. The admin at your college seems to be just as bad/worse than the one at mine. I hear all universities are a total pain in the butt towards their students when it comes to admin things, though......

why do they stop you from registering before you've met an advisor?
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

It's just a rule I really don't know why, but I think it has to do with seniors getting first picks. Something like that...anyway advisors always have their heads in the ground...or under a rock.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:35 pm

i really need to stop exiting the page and not checking to see if something has been updated in the thread before i post *sigh*.

the reason they keep holds is to make sure you're taking the right classes. which doesnt really make much sense because they have the requirements of all their majors on their website...so....yeah

they have specific time slots to register in order to allow seniors to get first dibs. thats how it works here anyway. so basically, you have to get the hold taken off a few days before your registered time and then when you're registered time comes, you scramble to get into classes. last time, the site crashed on us =D. apparently, that doesnt happen often though...this time, i have a class in the middle of my registration time XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 pm

Here you can sign up for registration approval time whenever you want to. It has to be with your advisor though and they have a sign up sheet at their door. You pick a slot that best suits you or isn't filled out yet.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:41 pm

that sounds more reasonable than what my school does...then again, we also have this thing called "override" where you can go to the convener and explain to them why you need to be in a particular class and they can put you in there even if the class is full. so i dont know if that kind of balances out the whole registration time thing...
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Lee wrote:...anyway advisors always have their heads in the ground...or under a rock.

Hahaha!

Ok we have something similar to that here too, but they don't actually prevent you from registering. You're just assigned a date and time according to your student number, and the more senior you are, the earlier that date will be. But there's usually only a gap of about a week between 4th years and 1st years (i think), and you're not forced to go for a meeting before you can start picking classes......... Last semester I was so lucky - i think I was one of the first people in my time group to sign on to the program to register, so I got to select my courses before the rest of the world woke up and jammed the whole site up. Hehehe!

And yeah, we can go speak to advisors personally for special cases where you HAVE to be in the class no matter what, but otherwise they will tell you themselves to just go online to register first.
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

okay so i magically got into all my classes except one...but thats okay. now i only have to go to school for 2 days a week. sweeeet =p.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Woooow lucky!

Do you take the same classes all year long? What are you going to be taking? I have to register for 4th year seminars this June -- I'm so confused, I don't know what I want to take. There's too many things in English that I'm interested in! Hopefully when the course descriptions come out, there'll be a couple seminars that jump out at me immediately Very Happy
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:38 pm

none of the courses last the whole year long.

im taking fundamentals in audio, fundamentals in digital filmaking, digital post production....and i forgot what the last one was lol.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 am

Nice. Next year, I'm probably going to be taking Modern British Literature, a seminar in Medieval Literature, and another one in 16th-Century/Renaissance Literature, and then one other course in Linguitics.... not sure which one.... or I'll take Victorian Lit. instead. With the seminars it depends on which prof. is teaching it, and what the focus/main topic is going to be...... I really want to take this Critical Theory course too. The prof. who usually teaches it is reputed to be absolutely AMAZING in every way possible -- he's internationally renowned too, and even before I heard the stories from other people, when I read his profile on the English Department's website, I was really really impressed and interested. And funny enough, his wife was my colleague at work :P

(p.s. My second year American and Canadian Lit. classes were full year courses :P)
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:29 pm

This is from my DA journal...it was such a long rant/thing I couldn't reiterate it all XD.

Yesterday I went to Moma (Museum of Modern Art) with my good friend
to see the Tim Burton exhibit. But, more importantly, we went to see a panel titled "Beyond Burbank: Collaborating with Tim Burton". Basically, the panel consisted of a group of people that have been working with Tim Burton for years. This included Colleen Atwood, Stephen Chiodo, Rick Heinrichs, and Danny Elfman. Yes, Danny Elfman.

So we head over to Moma and after some confusion as to where the friggin museum was (we ultimately walked about 6 blocks to find it) and went through the confusion at the information desk, we were on our way to looking at some art! Yes, art, good.

No. Not good.

Boring, very boring. Now, don't get me wrong, some of the art was good like Starry Night. But a majority of it was...well...boring. I have seen much better artwork here on DA. Although, it did make me feel better about my own art after seeing some people just having a blank canvas in the museum. Yes, someone made millions of dollars submitting a blank canvas as artwork. How our society works, I'll never fully know or understand.

After nearly dying of boredom for about 3 hours or so we went to the book store. Finally, we found some art the three of us could appreciate! I don't remember the man's name but his art was sick. They were like...creepy doll-like girls. One was eaten by a tree. Another had a few girls sitting at a tea party. And he had this odd fascination of Abe Lincoln as one picture depicted Abe Lincoln pulling a baby out of a tree as though the tree were giving birth to the baby. Yeah...good times...

So then we finally get our turn at the Tim Burton exhibit. It was easily one of the best parts of the day. Granted, it was VERY crowded which did make me a little irritated at times. But, it was hard to be annoyed when you were surrounded by all this cool stuff. I managed to read his first draft of The Nightmare Before Christmas (or at the very least, it was a variation of The Night Before Christmas). I also finally got to see some footage from his Hansel and Gretel movie. We manage to get to the back of the exhibit and my god I almost died from utter happiness. They had original sculptures that were used for Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride, the cloak from Sleepy Hollow, the Batman masks, sculptures of Beetlejuice as a snake, and a life-size replica of Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands. I stole a picture of Edward Scissorhands (no photography was allowed), I couldn't help it. It was hot!

So after, looking at the exhibit, it was time to spend some money. I bought a set of "Tim Burton's Tragic Toys for Girls and Boys". The set included Stain Boy, the Girl with Many Eyes, and Robot Boy. They are now safely in my room.

Finally, after dinner and some break time, it was time for the panel. After standing in line for about 45 minutes, we were finally let inside. My mom originally wasn't able to go in but then I noticed some people were using different tickets to get into the panel: tickets we had. So I told her to use those and see if they would let her in. They did. It was awesome. So we took our seats in the second row. I pointed out Colleen Atwood to my friend.

We also listened to this annoying redhead who thought because she worked for the press (or something) meant she was the only one who knew all knowledge regarding Tim Burton. I felt like saying to her "Yeah, I know that. I read it in a book. You know, those things that provide information about people you want to learn about. You should give it a try." Seriously, this woman would NOT stop nodding her head during the panel like a know-it-all. Yeah, I knew some of the stuff too but I'm not going to nod at everything. Point being: she wanted to be the center of attention.

Anyway, a few other people are talking in front and my mom asks me which one is Danny Elfman. I felt stupid because from the picture I saw of him, none of them were him. But the panel was going to start soon so I was wondering if one of the people was him or he wasn't going to show up or something...Then I see this guy walking down the aisle and I was like "OMG IT'S DANNY ELFMAN!!!" in a loud whisper. We all stared at him for a good five minutes before the panel started. He sat just a couple of seats away from us and I was like "OMG HE'S RIGHT THERE!"

So the panel started. It wasn't just a Q & A panel. There were presentations as well. The presentations were informative, entertaining, and interesting.

Rick Heinrichs went first and he talked about designing sets and creating some of the puppets used in Tim Burton's movies. He also showed a clip of him and Tim young working for Disney. It was so awesome! There were other clips as well but that one was by far the best.

Stephen Chiodo was next and he talked about animating for Tim. His stage presence was very good overall and he made what he was talking about interesting. Everyone clapped when he showed the Large Marge sequence from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Colleen Atwood was after Stephen and you could tell she wasn't very good at public speaking. But she still had some interesting stuff to talk about. The one thing that stuck out was when she said the Giant's costume in Big Fish is made out of roadkill because that's what Tim Burton wanted. How sick is that?

Finally, Danny Elfman gets up. He says he isn't a very good public speaker but my god he was easily the funniest one up there. There were so many laughs and everyone clapped after each clip he showed. He even showed a clip from Alice in Wonderland which I thought "wow he can actually show us that?!" The two things that I thought especially funny were how he wondered why he was hired for Pee Wee (he thought he had 'ruined the movie with his soundtrack') and how he has to sue a whole bunch of people every Christmas season due to them taking his Edward Scissorhands song for commercials without permission.

Once the presentations were done, we got a Q & A section. The redhead who loves to hear herself talk took forever to just ask her question. The best question was someone wanted to know if the story about Danny Elfman singing the Batman theme in the bathroom on an airplane was true. And it was. It came to his mind on the airplane so he ran to the bathroom about 20 times to record himself singing the song and giving notes XD.

After the panel was over, my mission began. We scooted over to where they all were. I took out my VHS copy of Nightmare Before Christmas and my Burton on Burton book. On our way to Danny Elfman, I got Stephen to sign my Burton on Burton book which was awesome because he was easily my second favorite presenter. Then we were waiting for Danny Elfman. OMG. I got him to sign my VHS of Nightmare Before Christmas. My mom got a card to sign and my friend wanted a picture instead. So we all got a picture with Danny Elfman. HECK YES! Luckily, some fellow fan was willing to wait for us and take the picture. Thanks a bunch! (like she'll be reading this XD)

And that was that. The only thing I forgot to mention was there was someone dressed up in a full Hatter costume.

Yup, that was Moma. WOOT! I would never go there again unless something like the Tim Burton exhibit was going on.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, i have a mini rant.

For Easter, i had gotten both KH1 and KH2 for the PS2. I was hoping for 358/2 days, but i'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. after lunch, i ran upstairs to put KH1 in and...

Disc Load Error.

I then took it out and saw i accidentally put KH2 in. ehhh... i'll look up the problem after i play 1 for a bit...

Disc Load Error.

I then looked at the back of both discs. nope, they're fine. no scratches at all. Ehhh... I guess i'll look it up now then...

I looked it up, and i pretty much had to alternate between dissecting and vivisecting the PS2 to get it to work. seeing as, with my luck, I'm bound to break some small irreplaceable part inside it. not only that, but I also would need something to blow all the dust that accumulated in there out.

So yeah... instead of spending the day playing KH1 and KH2, i spend the day sugar-high.

And yes, i am feeling better today.
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:46 pm

So what kinda sugary goods are you feasting on? Sucks about the disc reading errors though. Is that for all games or just those two? I think you should try to play another game in case it has something to do with the lens which reads the disc data.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 pm

im glad you're feeling better today ^_^

and that sucks about what happened with KH1 and KH2. ugh, id be so mad.

do you have a memory card for the ps2 by the way? because i didnt know ps1 memory cards didnt work for the ps2 and i had to restart KH1 all over again afterwords XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:27 pm

The Disc Reading Errors are for any disc at all that doesn't have a colored back. black PS1 discs work, the blue PS2 games work, but not any that are the normal silvery color.

And yeah, i have a PS2 memory card. i thought ahead and got that awhile ago. (it arrived before the playstation...)
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I wouldn't risk it...I would take your PS2 to someone who knows how to fix these kinda problems.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:37 pm

thats weird though. ive never heard of a ps2 acting like that.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm

my parents are going away for the weekend and they have a friend where they are going that knows all about these things, so he can fix it.
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:49 pm

i am upset my sister does not want to watch Princess and the Frog with me. She has yet to see it. and she needs to! Seriously, even if you're not in it for the story, the animation is just pure gold.

I also managed to see a preview of Beauty and the Beast on blue-ray and my god it is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen. It is breathtaking. I have the DVD but jeez the blueray quality is awesome. and that is saying something because i have yet to notice the difference between DVD and blueray quality wise. Beauty and the Beast is the first one Ive noticed the difference. I'm going to have to seriously save up my money for that one. Or, at the very least, for some tickets to the Imax showing next year.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 pm

I have discovered one of my wisdom teeth coming up....oh no. Not looking forward to this... =p. Yet, at the same time, I just want to figure out what to do and get this tooth out because it's already starting to hurt and I don't want it to shift my other teeth and mess up what the braces fixed >.<
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm

They'll give you some numbing drugs so that you don't feel pain when they pull them out. Though you'll hear some cracks and rips as they yank em out. It'll be all fine though, just schedule it before or after school not during.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 pm

^ oh okay good. I feel so much better now because i hear a whole bunch of people talk about how painful it is but they said the same thing with getting braces and i didn't feel anything when i got mine put on...though I hate cracking noises =O. the noise bothers me.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 pm

I never got it done, I might have to later, but I'm just talking about what others told me. Also you won't be able to eat to easily. If you open your mouth too much or move your jaw too much...you'll aggravate the stitches.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 41 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 41  Next