Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rant Thread

+2
Loyal Subject
Lee
6 posters

Page 41 of 41 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 39, 40, 41

Go down

Rant Thread - Page 41 Empty Re: Rant Thread

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 pm

I just need to do this mini-rant before I continue with the Heroes thread.

So, like I watched this suspense thriller (which is probably my second favorite genre of all time) called Prisoners. Now, Prisoners got really good reviews and my whole family thought it was really good. But, I'm sorry, I just don't like it.

Now, first I'm going to say that I did like the acting and the tone. But there are two things that really pissed me off about this movie. The first is the ending SPOILERS. Now, at the end of the film, Hugh Jackman's character gets thrown into a hole in the ground by the kidnapper. He's been shot and he prays that his daughter is saved. I'm totally okay with this entire bit. I'm totally okay with the fact that, yeah, he's probably going to die.

But then this happens: they save the daughter and you find out that Hugh Jackman's character after a couple of days or a day or a couple of hours maybe I don't know is still missing. And they show the police excavating the kidnapper's house.

This is my issue: why in the **** did the cops not look over the yard before excavating a serial kidnapper's yard for, i don't know, A GIANT **** HOLE IN THE GROUND? I mean jesus, have none of these cops watched law and order? That's like the first thing you do: you look for EASY places for a body to be hidden. Especially, you know, a mysterious old car in the middle of the **** yard. Yeah, that doesn't look suspicious.

Now, in a normal movie I'd be totally okay with this. But the fact that this stupid of a mistake happens in a decent movie is just stupid. Why couldn't they have just found the hole and found Hugh Jackman dead? They're going to find him dead anyway?

Then there's the other issue I have: Hugh Jackman's character kidnaps a mentally disabled person that he thinks did it and BEATS THE **** **** OUT OF HIM. Now, I'd be okay with this if the moral was 'hey, you probably shouldn't beat the **** out of someone who you think kidnapped your daughter especially if they're probably **** innocent'. Which, SPOILERS the guy was totally innocent. Wow, I'm so surprised (spoilers: I'm not). It was pretty obvious it was the aunt (to me anyway) of the guy he kidnapped from the beginning. But whatever, that's not the point. My point is: because he kidnaps this kid and beats the crap out of him, the cop ends up finding this kid and then ultimately ends up at the house where the aunt is about to kill Hugh Jackman's daughter. So, in a way, the film is kind of saying it's okay to beat the **** out of a disabled person who you suspect is a killer because you could inadvertently be saving your missing kid. I'm sorry, but torturing the **** out of someone is NOT okay. Especially if the person is **** disabled. Are you **** kidding me? It's one thing if the guy was clearly a smart ass a-hole. Then, okay, it's a typical revenge story. Whatever, I can get behind it. But the guy clearly had the mind of a ten-year-old who was clearly traumatized of some sort and possibly abused.

But no, THAT'S TOTALLY OKAY IF IT'S FOR REVENGE OR FOR THE SAKE OF FINDING YOUR CHILD. The sad thing is, there are other characters that are well aware of this and are totally okay with it. I mean, yeah, they go through their inner turmoil but in the end, they let him do it. I mean, if I found out my husband was beating the **** out of some disabled guy the way they beat this kid up, regardless of circumstances, I'd kick his ass and turn him in.

I mean, again, I'd be okay if the moral was to, you know, show that what Hugh Jackman's character was doing was wrong. But, it kind of isn't. I mean, they were totally going to ignore the family that Hugh Jackman's character was pursuing if he didn't beat the **** out of the guy and the guy went missing. I just--what the ****!? I mean, I can understand Hugh Jackman like stalking the character or constantly harassing him and then possibly accidentally killing him. Because, yeah, I can get behind that. I can see someone doing that pretty easily and then suffering the consequences. And yeah, he dies at the end, but it honestly seems like the cops wouldn't have found his daughter alive if he hadn't kidnapped the guy. Which is the only thing Hugh Jackman wants.

This movie gets compared to Mystic River and I don't know, I feel like Mystic River, while it does have an equally chilling ending, still doesn't say that the big accidental death was okay. It doesn't say 'yeah, what Sean Penn's character did was totally cool cause it was for his daughter even though that guy was totally innocent'. The tone at the end is saying 'yeah, he did it but that isn't going to change anything. life goes on' kind of deal. It doesn't glorify his decision like how I feel Prisoner's does. Because in the end, Sean Penn's character doesn't get his daughter back. He still has that loss. Hugh Jackman saves his daughter inadvertently.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:34 pm

lol it's a movie. Possibly a very bad one at that. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Granted I never watched the film.

I was going to watch the 2011 version of the Muppets, but it looks like whoever rented it from the library brought a torch to the bottom of the disc. So I guess I'm not going to watch it.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm

See, you would think it would be okay but then I hear my mom and family members say things like 'if I was in x situation, I would kill that asshole without thinking twice'. That's great family, you're willing to kill a potentially innocent person for the sake of revenge. I'm so glad movies are teaching you valuable lessons in life.

I mean seriously, people say 'oh it's just a movie' but then you get that handful (or possibly more) of dumbasses that actually think that is the right thing to do.

The only way I can see them saying it's not the right thing to do or his actions came with a price was him being stuck in the hole and now his daughter thinks the cop is the hero that saved her instead of him. When he was the one that figured out who the killer was first and did everything he could to save her. And now, he looks like a petty criminal on a sick path of revenge. But that's going to get cleared up soon cause, you know, they're going to find him in the damn hole EVENTUALLY @_@

I'm sorry about the Muppets movie. It is a good movie. Maybe if you tell them about it, they'll get another one. Or maybe you can order it from another library?

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 am

I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK I JUST SAID ABOUT PRISONERS!

So, I went on Tumblr and wanted to search the Prisoners tag. And then THANK GOD I found this post that said:

"I LOVE how Prisoners ended!

It’s not that you question if he hears him… you question if he lets him out.

Brilliance."

So then I was like 'what the hell is this person talking about' and I put the movie back in and watched the ending. And this is what happens: The cop HEARS THE WHISTLE Hugh Jackman's character is blowing inside the hole. It's a whistle he gave to his daughter. So the movie ends with the cop hearing the whistle but us not knowing if he chooses to let him out. So even though, yeah, I still think it was pretty friggin stupid that no one thought to check the yard for obvious holes or hiding places, this ending completely changes everything else I just said.

And now I need to think it over.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 pm

lol, I don't want to come off as rude, but you kind of miss a lot of key points sometimes. Mostly it's written works like when you gave examples of Star Trek, Hunger Games, ect...
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Well I can't read, what do you want me to tell you.

And, to be fair, the whistle blowing in Prisoner is so low. I had to turn my volume up to 60 just to hear the damn thing.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Nothing, I just thought I would suggest that. When I was in school they tested my reading skills and I was below on reading comprehension.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:34 pm

It was a joke by the way. Wasnt sure if I made that clear.

Although, strangely enough, I always got advance proficient in reading so clearly those tests are extremely accurate :p In my opinion, state tests are never accurate when representing intelligence. But that's a rant for another time.

I notice that I miss important details when reading books that I really love. And I think that's because I'm just in denial of what's happening in the story so my brain conveniently skips things it doesn't like. Star Trek, for instance, I skipped the part of the story that says flat out Spock and Urhura (sp?) are a thing. I don't like that aspect of the new Star Trek franchise so I read it as the opposite. The Da Vinci Code I really felt for the character that dies so when it says he's dead, I skipped that convenient one-word that says he's dead. So when I read the sentences, it bends to my whim and not what actually happens in the story. Because when I miss a message, it's usually I only miss one word in the sentence and that one word is what makes the difference.

I don't remember what I misread in the Hunger Games (or, if I misread anything) so I can't say what happened there.

It's just a sad case of denial really. Although, it does take me significantly longer to read than the average student. At least, it did in high school. Either that or those kids were just liars and didn't read :p

But the whistle in Prisoners was just I didn't hear it so it's kind of different. And my TV is on the opposite side of the room and the sound projects into the hallway rather than where I'm actually sitting.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:58 pm

I could be wrong, but I remember you saying something along the lines of not realizing that one character was black. Could be another book, but you stated that somewhere in this forum a while ago.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 pm

OMG YES!

Yeah, I didn't realize Rue was black. That one I have no explanation for. Other than I just don't know how to read.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Because you keep bombarding me with tumblr gifs...

Rant Thread - Page 41 665-thats-racist

Last edited by Lee on Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:36 pm

LOL

Everybody's a little bit racist.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:20 am

Lee, quick, tell me a good way to make $2,000 with little effort before the end of May. Cardiff is calling me.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 am

Hello, this is Admir Kubar. A long lost relative of yours has just died, leaving an estate of $2000. Please give me all your information and I will wire you the money.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:46 am

good idea Lee, I'll sue the people who send me spam mail.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 am

Which Cardiff are you talking about and why do you want to go there?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 am

The one in Wales.

I got invited by a fellow photopass disney college program student to visit her before May 29th. She has a spare room until then so I'd only have to pay for airfare. And, you know, spending money. But I already looked into it and I could get a roundtrip ticket for 1600.

That's why.

Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 am

Well if that's what you want to do. I wouldn't go crazy with spending money and going on a lot of trips until you have a stable financial standing, but I doubt one trip would break your bank account.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Ehh see that's the thing. I still have the tickets to Disneyland that I have to think about too. And, I don't know $2,000 is a lot of money and while I do have a job and everything I just don't know if I feel comfortable spending that much money. Even though I would LOVE to go to Cardiff and if I ever got the chance again it would ultimately cost me more money because I wouldn't have a place to stay....
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm

If I was you, I wouldn't do it. But then again I also had to support most of my financial situations. So it's not like I ever had that chance to begin with.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm still going to buy a scratch off though.

you never know :p
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:31 pm

See I never bothered with those either. :P
Lee
Lee
Admin