Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haunted houses?

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Haunted houses? Empty Haunted houses?

Post  zfish9 Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Yes, I know, this is a bit late for Halloween, if your house is haunted, or if a house near where you live is haunted, you can go and talk about it in this thread.

First up, my house. My house is very big, and very old. it was made in the 1840s and it was part of the underground railroad. we bought it 11 years ago and lived in it ever since. all the stuff i say in this thread is 100% true, and my dad saw all of these, and he's skeptical about ghosts (How he still is now i'll never know...)

Okay, the first story about my house is that when we first got the house, my dad thought it was in great condition, but then two days after he bought the house, 5 of the beams in the basement broke. the next day, 16 broke. on the third day, a total of 60 beams broke in the basement. my dad got professionals to completely replace the beams imminently and replace all the old ones.

A bit later, my dad went to get the boiler replaced. he bought a new boiler and had some people put it in. afterwords, my dad went to take a shower and all he got was cold water. he messed with the boiler for 40 minutes and he couldn't fix it. so he called the guys who installed it for help. they said that they could fix it.

40 minutes after they got here, they couldn't fix the boiler. then one of them says that they saw a statue of Mary set on the old boiler. he jokingly said that maybe that was the problem.

Right after they put Mary back on, the boiler worked perfectly and without any problems. to this day we have never moved Mary off of the boiler or Jesus off of our heater ever again.

Another time was when my dad we redoing the floors in the dining room. while working, he looked at some of the boards he had propped up against the wall and watched as they fell BACKWARDS onto the floor ( /| To __ | ). My dad then said out loud, "Dammit! Don't criticize me until I'm done!" apparently nothing criticizes him anymore, nothing else happened during or after construction since then.

Also, we had two people enter my house to see if there were any ghosts in it. my sister's friend, who was sensitive to this kind of stuff, came to my house and went up to the cupola. she took three steps up the cupola stairs, then ran down three flights of stairs saying something was up there. the other person was professional about these things. all he did though was open our front door, take half a step inside, then quickly exited the house and closed the door. he then turned to my dad and said, and i quote, "Your house is haunted."

And the last example happens all the time in my house. you can lose anything, ANYTHING in my house, and have it show up a few days later in plain sight. For example, my mother had lost a necklace with a rose on it my father got her in the drawing room one day. it didn't have much monetary value, but it had a lot of sentimental value to my mother. my mom and dad tore the room apart searching for it and they could not find it. a few days later, it was in plain sight, right on the floor in the drawing room. my mother had said to my father, "I know I searched there, it wasn't there."
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Male Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Haunted houses? Empty Re: Haunted houses?

Post  Lee Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:34 pm

My house isn't haunted, we built it about a few decades ago. I'm with your dad, I'm skeptical about the haunted/spirit thing. If something happens I always seek a scientific explanation pretty much, or expect someone to have one sooner or later.

Though that's really interesting! I've heard stories such as these from people I know, though I've never really been in a place of strangeness that I couldn't really explain.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18531

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 am

I also try to seek logical explanations to these things, but for these... well, my dad isn't the kind of person who would make these things up.

I do have a few other stories about my house, but these can actually be explained better then just "It's a ghost!" or i just don't know all the details to tell it.

1) a few months ago, my Grandmother moved in with us because after a combination of foot surgery and being, well, old, she couldn't walk anymore and she goes everywhere on an electric scooter or a wheelchair. Anyway, she says that at every night at 10:30, a ghost comes and tucks her into bed at night.

Explainable because she's on a lot of medication at the moment, but she's not loopy or anything when she usually takes it.

2) In my basement, there is a "Moving wall." i don't know the details about it but apparently it just "Moves" (I will edit it when i get the details, but it's explained because it's made out of concrete or something. like i said, I don't know the details.)

3) Also in the basement, if you can just randomly have a sudden overwhelming urge to illogically just run out of the basement out of fear.

The only explanation i can think of is being paranoid, but it's kind of stretching it.

4) And then, we come to the stereotypical "I-Just-Took-A-Picture-And-There-Is-[Some guy i don't know/ a white blob/ a pale white guy i don't know]-In-It! it has actually happened twice, at a Christmas tree at one point and another in the window of my house from the outside.

5) My house creaks all the time, even when no one is around.

Frankly, it is over 160 years old. and my dad's explanation is that the house "Breathes." during the summer it sucks up a lot of the moisture in the air and during the winter, it releases that moister. both times it can cause creaking noises.

Last edited by zfish9 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:51 pm

^ have you seriously considered contacting the ghost hunters =p

anyway, as far as your suddenly feeling like you need to leave the room due to fear, that could be because of the electric energy a house gives off. i cant explain it well because i dont entirely know what it is. but that is a common reason for those types of sensations...as said by the ghost hunters. and that has happened to me personally on multiple occasions. it was part of the reason why i stopped dorming at my school. because if i walked passed the electric boxes, i would occasionally experience dizziness, the feeling that someone else is in the hallway, etc. and i didnt know the boxes were there until after i said to myself something wasnt right because it was always happening in certain parts of the dorm building. so yeah....that could be that...and you might want to check that out because that really isnt a good thing.....

ummm...as far as haunted houses go....apparently there are a couple of people in my neighborhood that have haunted houses. but ive never done any investigating so i cant say if it's true or not. they were both houses where bootleggers lived and are near underground tunnels for bootlegging.

we joke my house is haunted. but i dont think it is. it may have been at one point....but...i dont know. the only evidence we really have is that the man who lived in the house before us committing suicide in the garage O__O

oh yeah and then one halloween my sisters and their friends said there was an old lady that looked like she was dead talking to them. and when we went to go check it out, the lady was gone and i live on a dead end street so there's not many places for the lady to go....unless she knew someone that lived down our street. but i didnt see it so i cant say how accurate it is =p.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 17171

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Well I do have something...we don't normally tell it to everyone. This would be a few reenactors and I who were there when it happened. It was three of us, after a long hot day of reenacting we decided to take a rest on some nice rocks, far away from the camps and out in the open.

Some guy came up to us in full uniform just like us asking how we were doing and all. He really reeked badly, and it was more noticeable the closer he got to us.

Anyway after some time he gave us some blackpower rounds, or we thought they were just that. Though they were heavier and it donned on one of the guys that it had bullets. After we looked up, only seconds after getting them, the guy was gone.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:16 pm

@LS: odd... the phrase "Poking a sleeping dragon in the eye" suddenly came to mind...
but seriously, no, we haven't considered that, and if we had, i don't quite see the point of wasting a lot of time to get people to come here to prove what we already know.

@Lee: creepy... and if that was a ghost, i'm guessing it thought it was still in the war or something when it just gave you supplies...
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:29 pm

^ but you'd be on ghost hunters =D. come on, thatd be so cool =p.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:51 pm

you could hold a seance at your house. that would be so cool!
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:03 pm

I'm still very skeptical about spirits and ghosts, there's really not much proof that people provide.

Why do those orbs show up in pictures when the lighting is low? Because it's a dust particle from really up close. They just show up better with lack of light, and even more if the camera flashes. I mean I've taken pictures plenty of times at Gettysburg during night, I'll show them to people and they'll freak out claiming those orbs are ghost. They are just dust particles, that's all.

A lot of people who visit Gettysburg also claim to feel uneasy there, as if there's other presences there. Creepy and unsettling they call it, but I've been there numerous times and even during night and never felt that kind of feeling. To me, it's in there head. They go there knowing that thousands of people died during a three day battle and instill the thought of ghosts lingering there.

Hell if anything, I'm sure they would haunt me more if they were actually there, being a reenactor in full blown uniform and during night to boot.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zfish9 Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Uruviel wrote:you could hold a seance at your house. that would be so cool!
Okay, but i'll use my friend's three rules for a seance first:

1. Never have a seance. if you must have a seance:
2. Never use a wigi board. for starters, people often force which way it goes. second, if it works, you can't destroy it. my friend threw a wooden wigi board into a fire once. the fire went out and it wasn't even marked from that. if you must have a seance and use a wigi board:
3. Never piss off the ghosts to make them show themselves, things never end well when you do that. this is just common sense.
zfish9
zfish9
Air Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:09 pm

^ oh come on, you cant possibly that wigi board garbage. i dont believe in demons being able to hurt people either. or ghosts. because, if it were that way i feel like there would be a lot more people missing mysteriously =O.

and yeah, the orbs are usually dust particles or a trick of the light. the only thing that would really cause me to believe a place is haunted is if there are objects moving on their own or i actually see something.

i didnt get an unsettling feeling in Gettysburg either. i only got a feeling when i went into a supposed haunted house. and the only reason why i felt that was because they told us it was haunted before we walked in. and nothing happened. unfortunately >.<
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:15 pm

and the only reason why i felt that was because they told us it was haunted before we walked in. and nothing happened. unfortunately >.<
See I told ya! It's because someone explicitly told you it was haunted and what not.

Once I took a picture at night in Gettysburg. There was a crap load of the balls, that it pretty much had a firefly effect, which was pretty cool.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:20 pm

^ they did an experiment on a tv show where they told a whole bunch of people a place was haunted and everyone started getting these weird sensations. turns out, the place wasnt haunted and it was all a lie to prove that most haunted places are only haunted because people are convinced its haunted.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Exactly most of it's psychological.

Like we were in Gettysburg at night, the park would close an hour later. Though we got lost and the person I was with started to freak out and was jumpy with everything. I wanted to find my way and leave them seesh...-_-. Though it was so dark I couldn't tell which track was which.

Eventually I found my way out, but we came across a old Gettysburg farm and there was a horse in a fenced area. The people almost screamed bloody murder...I guess they don't know there's still residents in Gettysburg Rolling Eyes
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:32 pm

yeah....but its fun to get scared when you dont know where you are and you think the place is haunted....and then nothing happens so you just laugh about it later =D.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:35 pm

You say that as if you have had that experience.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:09 pm

the sad thing is, ive never really done that before =p. unless you want to count the places where people dress up for halloween and try to scare you.....but im usually the one that tries to talk with everyone instead of acting like an overly scared person =D.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Lee wrote:You say that as if you have had that experience.

LOL I've had an experience like that! It was hilarious!

We were at my aunt and uncle's farm for New Year's in 2006. Their house is more than 100 years old and has been home to at least 4 very happy families in it's history. My aunt and uncle believe that there's a friendly ghost living there who has watched over the house for generations and apparently loves children. Anyways, this one day, after the whole big New Year's eve shebang, my 2 sisters and I went outside to sit under the stars in the hot tub.

We were just chilling, joking around, chatting, telling each other stories and being philosophical as usual, when I suddenly noticed smoke coming out of the chimney on the south end of the house. This chimney has NEVER been used since my aunt and uncle bought it. It's even been sealed up to prevent drafts and rain coming in, so there's NO way smoke could be coming out of it, unless something was burning. I started to freak cuz I thought that maybe the christmas tree was on fire because of the lights or something, so my eldest sister got out, walked through the snow barefoot to the window of the room and looked in. Nothing was burning.

The smoke was still coming out of the chimney though, so my next thought was "maybe it's the house's ghost warning us about a potential fire, or something else and is trying to get us back indoors!". Plus, we had been outside for a while and it was past 1 a.m., so we figured we should go in anyways. But I couldn't help thinking it might have been the ghost and all of us went to sleep thinking maybe the ghost had gone a little looney since there was no fire or anything. Just in case we even turned off ALL of the christmas lighting before bed, though.

Well, the next morning, I came downstairs and was ambushed by my sister and uncle, one of whom was about to beat me up and the other who was laughing amusedly. I had a suspicious feeling I was being made fun off. Turns out the smoke we saw the night before wasn't coming out of the stone chimney, but rather the chimney of the furnace which happened to have been stuck right NEXT TO the old chimney. The ghost, apparently, was NOT trying to warn us about anything on that particular night. Rolling Eyes

Hahaha!
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 pm

^ that sounds a lot like the time my sister convinced me we had found a preserved dinosaur on the beach XD.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Turns out it was just Sylvester Stallone?

Very funny story Uruviel, it sounds like something that would happen to my sister! I was thinking something along the lines of the chimney being channeled with a working heat source by coincidence.
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:57 pm

hehe maybe it's a younger sister thing? :P

we have a Haunted Walk here in our city -- I've always wanted to go for it. It's a guided tour of the all the places known to have been haunted. One such place is a dorms building near my university which used to be a prison long ago. Because of a lack of space and a huge influx of prisoners because of a witch hunt (apparently) and the plague and other events, and a very slow justice system at that time, prisoners would just get killed in their sleep or executed without trial, so there are supposedly many angry ghosts there :D
Uruviel
Uruviel
Water Bender

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:10 pm

my friend claims almost every building on her campus is haunted by a ghost and her building (dorm, whatever) is possibly haunted by dead babies.... i find that extremely hard to believe.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Dead babies? What's her evidence to that? I hear cooing during the night?
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:11 pm

^ there is no evidence. other than her dorm used to be the building where they kept dead babies in since its a school for nursing.
Loyal Subject
Loyal Subject

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 am

lol hey LS at night you should go there when she's asleep. Get ahold of some recorded baby cries and different noises and hide the walkie talkies somewhere in the room. Then just play the baby sounds on one so they channel through to the hidden ones!

...Yeah I'm mean...
Lee
Lee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum