School and Stuff, Why is this in the RP?

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: School and Stuff, Why is this in the RP?

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Okay so I finished that project that's due next week so I could hopefully get some feedback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ2Hv5509yY

If you don't mind, I need the answers to these three questions:

1. What type of story do you think the rest of the movie is about based on the opening credits?

2. What mood/tone does the opening sequence create?

3. Is the sequence creative?

thank you in advance =D
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16969

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 pm

I don't know. To me it seems to either be a murder or suicide mystery kind of deal. I say suicide cause most of the film has just a few things in the picture that are alone, like the lone women.

Is this the project where you're allowed to finally use film? I'm just asking because there's no film in it and you acted so happy that you could finally use it or is this that kinestasis project? If it's the kinestasis project, I thought it was supposed to be something about a janitor and a zombie.

The pictures are really nice, in terms of quality I mean. The only thing that doesn't flow with it very well is the ending picture of the pianist. They're two different kinds of pictures that clash a little with the others. Most of your pictures have these toned down dark shots, with a little grayscale to them, but the pianist pictures are bright and full of colors.

Is this a last year project because it reads as 2010 at the ending. It goes pretty well, but I think you should change the pianist pictures. You don't necessarily need shots of a composer or something like that when that title comes up. You didn't really show pictures that related to the other people's professions, so why should the pianist get some screen time in? I don't know if that makes any sense. It just pops out when all the others were subtle. That's what I see in it as of now.

Oh yeah and I hope you're putting your name in the title sequence and not your user name. That'll go over like a fart in a church with your professor.

Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18340

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:11 pm

no, i couldn't use film. this is before the film project.

what i was going for with the pianist is it's the beginning of the actual movie. like, the beginning is showing images related to the overall mystery and then it cuts to the protagonist playing the piano. where the music was just part of the credits but then became part of the first scene. since you didn't get it right away, is there a way for me to possibly make that clearer? like, maybe cut the song as though something interrupted her from playing?

and yeah, my regular name is in the opening. i just changed it for the sake of youtube.

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 pm

I see what you're getting at now. If that's the case, doesn't the music usually fade out a little, until it's fully gone? I mean of course it's overused, but why fix something that works effectively?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:01 pm

well, what i tried to do was change the quality of the music so it sounded like it was coming from a room rather than being played over. i can try to tamper with the settings and then fade it out.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:17 pm

If you pay attention closely to some films, they never keep a solid consistency with their audio volumes. It's usually so subtle or that they do it so well that the audience doesn't pick up on it. For example in one movie there was a song going on in the background (from a radio) When things picked up tensely with guns pointing and a lot of arguments, the song was gone. It had been slowly decreasing.

I'm just one person LS, you shouldn't just rely on my comments. See what other people have to say. Who knows they may call my feedback asinine, which I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 pm

i feel like for this project though it should be obvious (the audio quality changing) because i dont think people are going to get it otherwise. and i have been asking other people, don't worry :)

the problem is, i dont have a lot of people to ask who dont know the way i think. this was the problem with the midterm where the teacher said i copped out on. i had asked other people and they all said sin was being sold as a positive thing. but then i went to class and people were coming up with these very different interpretations..to the point where i quite frankly didn't get how they were coming up with these things. and i did say to the teacher that i think the people i asked to critique the project just know my sense of humor and the way i think. but, i still 'copped out' so im trying to ask people that don't know the way i think when working on stuff.

so, in other words, i value your opinion =D

anyway, do you think it's creative enough? he emphasized creative...so yeah...
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Stop right there LS, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out an artist professor. Half of them have their heads up their asses and it's their way or the highway. There's no room in between, which makes the term art an oxymoron.

Anyway I think it's pretty interesting. I got most of it, except for the beginning of the film part. You could try working with the audio and then showing it to someone who doesn't know the plot yet. If it doesn't come across to them (the few or so you show it to, you could try maybe placing the title before the pianist part? The dramatic fade in fade out. Yeah I know it's cliche, but it works.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 pm

i was just talking about this with my mom about me driving myself crazy. and, i did show it to her and she didn't get some of it.

but, this is my perspective of this entire project. i dont know if he's going to ask for a brief synopsis of the movie beforehand or after or if that matters. because when you go to see a movie, you kind of have an idea what it's about before you watch the opening. and it's that knowledge that also helps an opening especially if you're doing a mystery/thriller type of movie where it's supposed to be ambiguous. i used the example of Sweeney Todd. if you watch that opening without knowing what the movie is about, you will have no idea what the plot is other than it's about murder. but because you go in knowing the movie is about a barber that kills people and makes them into pies, the opening makes so much more sense.

and that's why im driving myself crazy! well, whatever, that's going to be my argument for class then. and i have no problem arguing that.

and i know! film is supposed to be subjective here, there's no right answer to anything you interpret. @_@ im just glad i havent encountered any professors like him before in this school. and ive heard the other professors im supposedly getting are awesome.

okay, i feel better now XD

and, just out of curiosity, did you think my previous project where i had to sell sin was selling sin as a positive thing or was it unclear?

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 pm

You'll probably happen across a few more. It's more of a reoccurring theme with art classes/majors sadly. By the way how did your one class go where you had to present this?

Oh and um...honestly I remember the selling part where it needed to be something the audience didn't want. I thought you were selling the apple though.

I don't know much about mythology, but I remember that the apple was considered evil/forbidden. So that's what I thought you were trying to convey.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:49 pm

I literally just got back from the class where I had to present this. and the class itself didn't go well.

he didn't say anything too bad about mine. at least, i dont think it was too bad...but what do i know. he did again call out on a student who did an opening that was stop motion like and said he was afraid to accept the challenge of doing only still-photos. the kid he was picking on has been arguing for film since day one. and, again, i got rather upset just because the way the teacher talks about this kind of stuff in front of the class makes me feel as though he's directing it to me even though i know he's not. anyway, then i heard him after class reprimanding the kid again saying the kid only did it to spite him. and, honestly, i dont blame the student for doing what he did. when you're nasty to people like this teacher is, what do you friggin expect? because if you're looking for respect, you aren't going to get any. he certainly lost my respect the minute he freaked out on the first kid.

so yeah...aside from another demotivational speech, the teacher was basically useless in giving feedback on our ideas for our final. and now he wants us to go back and fix our stories by tonight.

this was the basic idea i was thinking about doing: a kid is playing pokemon (and, before you say anything, yes i picked this idea as my favorite for a superficial reason XD) on the DS and their parent comes in, takes the DS away, and forces them outside. the kid goes outside reluctantly. as the kid is sitting outside, the video game essentially starts to come to life. and by the end of it, the kid is called inside and the audience would see that it was all in the kid's imagination.

he didn't say anything bad about it but i got the impression he didn't like the ending. like, the story lacked meaning. i said upfront im willing to listen to suggestions on how to fix it because i knew it needed work. but then he didn't offer any. in fact, he didn't offer any on my other ideas either. and that's the problem with this class in general (i think): he DOESN'T offer suggestions. he beats around the bush. and then he makes suggestions AFTER you've done the project. honestly, he talked about constructive criticism in the beginning but i don't think he even knows what constructive criticism means. the word constructive is in the definition for a reason @_@

anyway...........now that that rant is done.....yeah, i was selling the apple which was supposed to symbolize sin.

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:07 pm

There will be plenty of professors like him. I know his type too well. The one with their head lodged too far up their ass. He's the one that doesn't know what they want but know what they don't want so they're never helpful. In a way, because of teachers like them I grew to disregard a lot of advice, unless it's sound.

They ask you to change something so you do and then they ask you why you changed it. (Not to me of course, just from seeing other students happen to them)

Sorry to hear that you had to redo your project. By that way, what is this class called?

I think you're projects have been nice so far. If this is supposed to be about film when are you going to get to it? I know that I only have so many weeks left at my school, so you are probably in the same boat. What is it going to be like the last project you can use film?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm

The class is called Visual Storytelling.

and no, it's not technically about film. that's the whole issue i feel with this class. this class is an elective but filmmakers chose to take it because they thought it would be relevant to film. and so far, it's just a pain in the ass. i took it because i was told in the class you storyboard your film ideas but don't necessarily film them. so i thought it was a win-win because id get to practice my art skills in the storyboards and learn about visually telling stories.

the last project i had in mind where i can use film was the Pokemon idea. i wanted the 'film' to be about a kid who's playing Pokemon inside but is forced outside by a parent without the game. so while the kid is outside, the game starts to come to life and the kid is battling a Pokemon. then the kid goes inside and you realize it was all in the kid's head.

again, the professor made it seem like he didn't like the ending. like 'oh, it was just all in the kids head? that's it?' type of deal. but i really do think this is a good idea so i wanted to do it. so im trying to think of ways to make the story better so i can do this idea.

and thank you about my last projects. at least somebody thinks they're good.

i think the main reason why i hate this teacher is because he's doing the exact same thing my choir teacher did to me in high school. i went into choir thinking i had the talent to be in theater and i came out feeling like a piece of ****. and the same thing is going on with this teacher. honestly, the only thing that keeps me going in this class are the letters of recommendation i read my professor/high school teacher gave me for internship applications and the fact that Vic said to me during the Ranger Dinner I did a good interview. because even though it's easy to talk smack about the professor when he's not around, it's another thing to be in the same room as him. he's very intimidating. i get the impression im a good student in his eyes but i dont feel like i am because of what he says and how he treats everyone.

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm

You got to get used to this type of criticism for the field we're in LS. You need thick skin, that's what it pretty much boils down to. Take the advice people give you to better your works if needed and stand tall.

lol I remember one project presentation we had in one of my classes, the professor just told us all to trash our works. He didn't look at any of ours except for the first person to go (who was always a half-assing lazy student)
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:47 pm

i dont mind criticism. and he did offer some things that had he told me this in a draft form i would have fixed and listened. it's just he has a shitty attitude and the way he treats people upsets me.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:28 pm

So how is your Pokemon film coming along?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Okay. I filmed some stuff today and Thursday. I didn't finish filming yet. I'm partially holding off because technically we're not supposed to be filming until next week. I'm just doing some ahead of time because if I don't, I only have a week to do it in addition to a paper and working on the anime documentary.

how about you?
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:02 pm

I hired a guy in a Pikachu suit.

Sounds like you're ahead of the game, which is great. Have you tried that animation technique yet?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:27 pm

im ahead of the game but warily ahead of the game. i wont be surprised if the professor tells me this week i need to change something and then i have to go back and re-film it.

i havent tried the animation technique because i added something to the story where i have to use the plushies. someone came up with the idea that the girl should intervene in the battle. so i have it where she loses the battle in the game and then she's losing the battle in her imagination. so she just goes over and kicks the pokemon down and wins XD.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:29 pm

How are you going to animate a stuffed animal though? Is it going to be stop motion or are you going to have yourself/your arm in frame every time you want to move them? That might hurt your grade depending on how strict your professor is.

Have the little girl pull out a cap gun and shoot the Pokemon at the end. Do one of those cheap Indiana Jone shots from the first movie.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:04 pm

i wasn't going to animate it. if i was going to use the stuffed animals, what i was originally going to do was keep the plushies in one position and have the text from the game underneath. for Pikachu, i was going to do a thundershock by having the screen flash yellow (which i can do in sony vegas). for gengar's attack, i took a picture and i was going to crop the background out of the copies and make it look like gengar made copies of himself. i saw it in one of the pokemon battles where he makes copies of himself that are translucent. then i was going to flash pikachu's image like what the game does when a pokemon gets hurt.

this way, it stays true to the game where the pokemon don't really move.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Shouldn't you just take pictures then, so that it's completely stationary like the game then? I'll have to see how things come along with your next WIP, good luck!
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm

because i didnt want to make it completely like the game. i wanted it to pay homage to the game but be different at the same time. if i did it exactly like the game, the angles would suck because you only see one angle throughout the entire battle lol XD.

but i do as a backup have the plan to use stills only. worse case scenario, i can take still shots of the video and put them together.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Well you can always take shots at different angles to you know. I'm just having a hard time seeing what you have in mind for the project. I know how I would work it, if I was to do it, but I'll have to see yours when your all finished or when you have a further WIP.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:40 pm

yeah, i think it'll be easier to see than me to explain. i cant really explain what im thinking lol.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum