Two Things To Show

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Two Things To Show

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:48 pm

ill try that.

as for asking my parents and sisters, they're too nice to give constructive criticism XD. ill have to do a couple of versions and ask them which one they like best.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:29 am

Exact opposite of my family. They'll tell me something isn't good. However that's all they ever do. When I ask what is bad or what needs work they never know how to respond, just that it's bad.

So I normally never seek their opinion since they don't know any form of criticism. That's sorta why I hoped there was some kind of art community out there online. There were but they were only for popular people like DA.

I kinda feel sorry for some of the really good artists out there that get shadowed by fans who just doodle chicken scratch fan art and steal the whole show.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:11 pm

^ yeah i know. i feel sorry for those people too.

honestly, out of both extremes, i dont know which form of 'criticism' i would rather have. having people who always say nice things can easily lead someone to think they're more talented than they really are. like those people on American Idol. but on the other hand, I hated my choir teacher that would only say bad things.

i dont mind when people say 'bad' things so long as they said something good first. because then that indicates that they're trying to help you because they said something positive first.

anyway, i asked my mom her opinion and she said 'why don't you draw more of that creepy tim burton stuff you do?' XD.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Just because someone doesn't say something positive doesn't mean they're not trying to help you. Hell I had someone who just tore some of my pieces a new hole and didn't say anything redeeming about it. Yet they were still trying to help. You just have to have a thick skin when it comes to any form of criticism of any trade and art.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 pm

i still prefer if they give something positive first before they go into the negative. i mean, its one thing if the person knows they're talented. it's another if they still aren't sure about themselves and you just say negative things about their work. which was exactly what happened in choir class.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Sometimes it's just better to go straight to the weak parts. If no one says anything about any of the other aspects of the art or whatever it may be, then that means it's fine as it is. Criticism is used to strengthen one's art, so that it may be better, not pat them on the back before they delve into the weak parts.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 pm

^ it depends on the person that you're critiquing and what your relationship to the person is.

if you're a teacher, you need to adjust your style for the student so you can get the best performance out of the student rather than expecting the student to adjust to your style. it's like the episode Bitter Work in Avatar. Aang wasn't learning well with Toph's way of teaching so she adjusted to the 'positive reinforcement' that Katara suggested and he learned it much more quickly. i mean, of course you can gradually incorporate your usual method of teaching but you have to start out so the student knows you're not trying to discourage them.

i mean, if you're a critique you have every right to tear whatever the piece is apart. but there's a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. teachers are meant to constructively criticize but there are definitely far too many teachers that are flat out critics which, in the end, doesn't always work or teach the student anything.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:10 pm

It's the professor/teachers job to make sure the student is prepared to enter the real world. The business and careers out there, so many people are applying themselves to get them. Sure they can sugar coat it all, but when the student finally exits to their next chapter, they're going to be in for a rude awakening.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:44 pm

^ im not saying to sugar coat it to the point where the kid thinks they're the greatest artist or whatever in the world like those poor unfortunate souls that end up going on American Idol XD. just a little 'well this part was good but you should really work on this to make it better' type of thing. and i only think that should be done until the teacher gets to know the student better.

of course, that would only work in high school since you spend more time with the student. im not really talking about college because ive only been there for a year so i havent really come across any of this yet. but i think it's important to remain more on the positive side in high school because thats supposed to be when students are just starting to try and figure out what they want to do in life. at least, i always saw it that way. its probably different in some high schools depending on what kind of classes they offer. and of course every student is different so im sure some students can handle flat out criticism right away. i couldn't, at least when it came to choir. i would even consider choir a 'special case' because she just wasn't a nice person. but if i had a positive experience first, i could take whatever criticism.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Sure in high school I guess they can go easy on those who aren't as interested in the subject and whatnot. In high school, most students have to take at least one course of art. So of course they're going to be ones who aren't as talented or ambitious as others.

When you walk out of school and head to college or a university with a major in art, those students need to be prepared for it all. I was talking about college and careers.

of course, that would only work in high school since you spend more time with the student.
And for reasons I stated above.

Most art classes I've taken in college are pretty small. The professor spends time with each student through critiques and the such (well sometimes the whole class) but it's no one's job to pat you on the back. They're there to help you work on what's lacking, which is what the real world will want you to do.

Some might tell you where your strengths and weaknesses are, but they're going to focus more on what needs to be fixed. If they don't it's because it's a pretty strong piece or they're too sensitive of hurting someone's feelings...and by this point in your career you better already be prepared for such criticism.

If you're not...well maybe this career is not for you. And for the record, I'm not directing this to you LS or anyone. It's just easier to type out you and the such.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:55 pm

^ yeah but for our 'art class' it was a very broad topic. like a computer class counted as 'art' as did choir. which i didnt find out until later...i didnt even know we had to take an art related class XD

i also get that you're just generalizing and stuff ^^.

i feel like by the time you get to college, you should be able to judge yourself on whether or not you're talented in a certain subject. so im more okay with just criticism. i feel like it's in high school when most kids are unsure of themselves because that's when you're just starting to play with stuff (at least, thats what i found). assuming you kind of know what you want to do in high school. i know there are definitely a lot of kids that dont know what they want to do in college because my college is set up to help those people choose a major which makes it even more difficult for the people who already know what they want to do.

but yeah, i get criticism in college because thats when you should know you're talented or you should have the motivation at that point to keep going even if someone criticizes your work.

granted, it also depends on what kind of high school you go to and stuff like that as well. i mean, my high school was very VERY competitive. a little too competitive for my taste to the point where it was more about who was 'the best of the best' and less about helping kids find things they may want to pursue as a career. so if you weren't 'the best of the best' you pretty much got screwed which is also pretty discouraging.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 am

Well anywhere you really look, you'll find competition of one form or another, for any trade. Competition isn't really bad. It forces people to strive to do their best, and even if they're weeded out, if they have the will to better themselves they can succeed. It doesn't necessarily always have to mean they're going to land on first place.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:40 pm

^ yeah but it was too competitive to the point where like you could be decent in a sport or something but they didnt offer anything if you got cut. so if you did get cut, youd have to spend like $600+ to get better and then try out for something thats free =/. it didnt really make much sense to me.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:45 pm

What? No I meant you would go in on your own terms to see how much you progressed or can yourself.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:37 pm

^ oh i get it lol.

by competitive, i meant a lot of people who try out dont even get in to the thing and they're talented. then they have to go on their own to private things and pay a lot of money so they can hopefully do better the next year. which i think if they're going to kick people out, they should at least have a club or an alternative for people who dont get in so they can practice for free and hopefully get in next time.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 pm

A lot of people form together to make clubs or art shows. I remember one time that a bunch of students who's art wasn't submitted to the art show got together and formed an event called "The Not In" or something like that. It was their own art show for all the students who didn't get in. Needless to say the official art show wasn't too pleased.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:52 pm

^ yeah we have a Drama Club but the club didnt do anything productive like the school play because most of the kids were in the play and the rest of the people werent committed to it.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am

Boy you sure are pessimistic about this situation...One of the best strengths to have is confidence. If you don't have that then you've already lost the match.

It's repeated and shown a lot in sports, but it applies for anything. If your opponent has the will but you don't have the same set to match it, they're already winning. Keeping a healthy mindset is the best weapon.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:01 pm

^ i liked being a part of the Drama Club. i was one of the few members that was committed. most members didnt show up a majority of the time and it ended up where when it came down to the performance, only three out of eight groups actually performed. which is why the club didnt even exist last year from what my sister said.

i mean, i got to do my thing the two years that they did the mini performance and i was one of the leaders of the club senior year. i just wish they had more members who were committed to it so we could have done like a mini play or something rather than short skits/monologues that were mostly half assed on the other group's part because they didn't really work on it. i mean, i almost couldnt even do it senior year because the person who i asked to do a skit with me bailed out on me at the last minute so i had to switch over to a monologue.

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Well at least you stuck with it to the very last moments. What kind of skits or plays did you do or what was the plots? It sounds pretty interesting!
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 pm

The first one was 'Who's on First'. from the movie 'The Naughty Nineties' I had to transcribe it myself because I couldnt find the movie version, just the radio version typed out. I played the Costello character.

the second one i wanted to do the ending scene from Clannad After Story with my friend where I would be Fuuko and she would be my sister because Fuuko's crazy XD. but then she bailed out so i did the super short monologue from Emperor's New Groove. this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMSHOPkcVv8
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:48 pm

That's still pretty cool! Why did she bail out? She didn't like being in a play directed from an anime show?
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:14 pm

i dont know why she bailed. it had nothing to do with anime though, she liked the show too. i think she just didnt want to do it.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 pm

Wow for a friend you would think she would had told you earlier then the last second...
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 pm

yeah...we're not really friends anymore though XD. not because of that but yeah =p.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum