Movies

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movies

Post  Lee on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Those long black top hats with the felt lining around the brim? They are called Old Abe Hats, at least that's the nickname for them.

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/c28.htm

Don't worry they aren't that expensive unless you want it to be fully detailed to the way it was made back then. This is just the only place I know of that has every hat known of that time period.
Lee
Admin

Male Number of posts : 18365

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm

^ yeah i think that's them. though i wont go buying one now...at least i dont think so..i should have just bought it when i had the chance @_@.
Loyal Subject

Female Number of posts : 16997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm

You can probably find them at Civil War reenactments if there are any near you. You just need to search for any events close by. Normally the events have a few sutlers, those are tents that sell reenactor items and spectator doodads. Some have a good selection of hats, Civilian and soldiers, so it's likely you can find the top hat there.

There's also places like Gettysburg which have year around shops that sell nothing but Civil War merchandise, from spectator junk (souvenirs) to the real deals the reenactor items.

Gettysburg would possibly be your best bet, but reenactments are also a likely source. If you go back to Gettysburg check out the main streets they have a lot of different stores. The best one would be Regimental Quartermaster.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm

^ yeah im never going to get there in time for halloween.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Hey I said you could also check for local events.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 pm

^ there are no local events in my area. it's more concentrated on the Revolutionary War not the Civil War
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HaruWolf on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:52 pm

I can't wait to see Ponyo!!
HaruWolf
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 248

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 pm

^ me too. ^_^ i didnt want to see it at first but the trailer looks cute =D
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 pm

I like the style it's done in...I saw this type of style somewhere else. I think where I saw it, it was an old classic animation. So I'll probably see it mainly for that reason, though it does look interesting.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Okay, so I saw 9 on 9-9-09 (i mean, if they took the time to actually pick that as a release date, i had to respect it). the storyline had some issues like awkward entrances and episodic instances to the point where i thought they probably could have made a better storyline and made it a silent movie like the original. but i felt like the visuals and directing made up for it. i mean, the movie is so visual, a lot of times the dialogue was unnecessary. words didn't need to describe what was going on. oh yeah and the sick and demented machines that were trying to kill everyone was a nice feature =D
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm

A silent film or one without words spoken wouldn't keep the attention of the common audience. This is something you need to think of when reaching out to a massive group.

While one thing might make a form of entertainment more interesting or successful in the idea of artistic movement it could be a failure on the business end line of it.

So some things that could work to move it more to the artisict side for a lack of a better word could hurt it. Sometimes things need to be dumbed down so to speak to be enjoyable to a larger audience.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:41 pm

^ Wall E was predominately a silent film and it was successful. so it is possible! =P

I dont believe Shane Ackler or Tim Burton sought to reach out to a massive audience like studio films do. Tim Burton is a firm believer in making movies to the best they can be artistically and to not be bothered by what reviews say. Especially since lately, the oscars have been nominating movies based on the artistic side as opposed to the money side of it. and if you get nominated for an oscar, the movie is usually re-released for oscar time, hence you're able to make more money.

so all in all, it's better to make a movie that caters to the artistic side rather than the money issue. especially when you have someone like Tim Burton paying for it =D.

of course, if you have a studio looming over you, then it would be better to cater towards them. but, given the circumstances, Shane Ackler could have tried to make it a silent and artistic film without too much worry. ive heard Tim Burton even suggested to him he should try to make it closer to a silent movie. and i believe that would have made a better movie. even if they couldn't make it a silent movie, the basic plot needed help regardless.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Still, big studio or not, the idea is to make a profit on the film. So if they had a hunch that doing something would lose money in the long run, they might make changes in that part.

^ Hypothetically speaking, please don't take this out of context that I'm referring to the 9 movie and that alone.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:01 pm

oh yeah i know you're not just talking about 9. im just saying in that particular scenario, given the circumstances, i would have tried to make it a more silent movie. only because that was partially what made the original so amazing: it didnt need words for you to engage in the world of 9. and it's weird because they make it seem like in the beginning it will be a Wall E type thing, where half the movie or a good portion of it will be silent, by having 9's wires messed up so he can't talk. but then, moments later, he gets his voice back...so they could have played on that a little longer. but im just rambling now as i recall things from the movie lol.

anyway, yeah i agree with what you're saying. it's like with New Moon how they made Edward an image Bella sees instead of a voice she hears because they knew they could lose money if they followed the voice idea...since Edward wouldn't be in it until the very end =D. and that's the only other example i can come up with and i wish i had a better example =P.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:54 pm

When so and so goes into the business world, they need prepared to scrape ideas they had and loved. Artistic or not, it's what the public wants.

If the public pays see a movie with talking despite it being not as good or just as good as a silent film, then they're going to have to make that move.

Whatever you get the point, and if you don't you will soon if you plan on going in the arts of entertainment.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Yeah a lot of good movies are coming out in the next years. Toy Story 3, Ghostbusters 3, Avatar, and a few I'm blanking on right now. I normally don't care too much for movies maybe that's why I never sit to watch them. I just realized that...I only sit down to watch animations.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 am

.........................so.......New Moon is out. Is there anyone here that's daring enough to brave the hordes of hormonal pre-teens who'll be flooding the theatres right about now to see it??
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  notSusano on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Uruviel wrote:.........................so.......New Moon is out. Is there anyone here that's daring enough to brave the hordes of hormonal pre-teens who'll be flooding the theatres right about now to see it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glNuQiE77E

Not that that Im some master critic or anything but this is stuff like Twilight that I dislike/avoid western literature(new stuff anyways).

Anyways +5 points if you can be a twilight fan and laugh at this.
notSusano
Non-Bender

Number of posts : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Uruviel wrote:.........................so.......New Moon is out. Is there anyone here that's daring enough to brave the hordes of hormonal pre-teens who'll be flooding the theatres right about now to see it??

i was supposed to go to the midnight showing......but then i got sick >.<. anyway, i hope to see it soon. ive heard it wasnt that good compared to the first....which i was kind of expecting because the second book wasnt really appealing to me.
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm just waiting when they throw in the Swamp Man, Frankenstein, and a mummy.

I mean they already crapped on how vampires are supposed to be, no offense.
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal Subject on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:51 pm

^ actually, you'd be surprised. ive been watching interview with a vampire recently and a lot of concepts in Twilight are in interview with a vampire. so her theories are not completely trashing vampires. seriously, the only thing she changed was the fact that vampire sparkle. the super speed, super strength, seductive skills, trying to feed off of animal blood instead of human blood are ALL in interview with a vampire. so...those theories have been going around for a while apparently. i was surprised actually.....
Loyal Subject

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Uruviel on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 pm

notSusano wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glNuQiE77E

Not that that Im some master critic or anything but this is stuff like Twilight that I dislike/avoid western literature(new stuff anyways).

Anyways +5 points if you can be a twilight fan and laugh at this.

AHAHAHA!!!! That's hilarious -- poor old-school vamp is having no luck with all the emo vamps running around right now, LMAO!!

Actually, Twilight doesn't really have anything original in it. It's a book that was written to sell, and it definitely sold well. She's used all the normal vampire legends everyone else tries to avoid these days, and then adds in some "vegetarian"-ness (in keeping with the Green fad right now) and some teen angst. That's all.

If they're saying this movie is worse than the first one, I think I'll just wait until someone sticks it online again :P I didn't bother going to the theatre for the first one either. Haha!
Uruviel
Water Bender

Female Number of posts : 243

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

Well for being a movie that "sucks" it's the third highest box office movie in history. That's only cause the same damned fangirl probably saw it sixty bajillion times though lol.

I found this pretty funny though. Fair warning though, there is some curse words in it. I did an Urban Dictionary result on Edward Cullen.

So if you're interested in checking it out, go to Urban Dictionary.com
Lee
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top